Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 138

Thread: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

  1. #1

    Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    did anyone else think he was utterly useless in the Commons yesterday? Maybe when/if he gets his election, he'll prove himself to be a brilliant campaigner, but, watching him at the Despatch box yesterday, I began to think his proroguing of Parliament and eagerness to have an election was more down to a desperation to avoid things like PMQs than some masterly plan to make sure we Brexited on 31 October.

  2. #2

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    He was a shambles. Desperate, rattled, incoherent and rambling. Corbyn appeared statesmanlike in comparison.

  3. #3

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    did anyone else think he was utterly useless in the Commons yesterday? Maybe when/if he gets his election, he'll prove himself to be a brilliant campaigner, but, watching him at the Despatch box yesterday, I began to think his proroguing of Parliament and eagerness to have an election was more down to a desperation to avoid things like PMQs than some masterly plan to make sure we Brexited on 31 October.
    Maybe, but he's playing to his target audience. The more Cummings-inspired sound bite references to things like 'surrender' and' collaboration' he gets in, even if delivered in his rambling style, the more he hopes to rally his target audience for the next election.

  4. #4

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    He was a shambles. Desperate, rattled, incoherent and rambling. Corbyn appeared statesmanlike in comparison.
    Johnson - rattled yes, but Corbyn statesmanlike - uhm, that's stretching it a bit. If ever there was a non-statesmanlike potential PM then it has to be him!(Close runner up might be Michael Foot?). Why does Corbyn always come over as a bitter, angry bloke? Inferiority complex?

  5. #5

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Maybe, but he's playing to his target audience. The more Cummings-inspired sound bite references to things like 'surrender' and' collaboration' he gets in, even if delivered in his rambling style, the more he hopes to rally his target audience for the next election.
    I think that they have decided that the way to win the next election is to avoid splitting their vote with the Brexit party at all costs.

    Using words like surrender and collaborator may play well with radicalised pensioners, but came across (and I admit I'm biased here), as pretty pathetic when spoken in the commons.

  6. #6

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    I think that they have decided that the way to win the next election is to avoid splitting their vote with the Brexit party at all costs.

    Using words like surrender and collaborator may play well with radicalised pensioners, but came across (and I admit I'm biased here), as pretty pathetic when spoken in the commons.
    Speaking as a pensioner (not sure if I can be described as radicalised) I agree it is not helpful that Johnson appeared to be at war with the EU last night with the expressions he used, like white flag and surrender. Being of a certain age I can remember the Common Market and the obvious advantages that brought. It was a good scheme. This has now grown into a monster called the EU which is not what we signed up to 40+ years ago. A vast bureaucratic machine which gobbles £ billions and has an army of unelected "representatives" riding along on a long gravy train. If that opinion makes me a radicalised pensioner, so be it.

  7. #7

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Speaking as a pensioner (not sure if I can be described as radicalised) I agree it is not helpful that Johnson appeared to be at war with the EU last night with the expressions he used, like white flag and surrender. Being of a certain age I can remember the Common Market and the obvious advantages that brought. It was a good scheme. This has now grown into a monster called the EU which is not what we signed up to 40+ years ago. A vast bureaucratic machine which gobbles £ billions and has an army of unelected "representatives" riding along on a long gravy train. If that opinion makes me a radicalised pensioner, so be it.
    I think it's even better now. It has brought prosperity and some superb protections for workers, consumers and the environment et al.

  8. #8

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    I'm sixty three and have a monthly pension, so I'm not sure that I qualify to become a "radicalised pensioner", but there's no chance of the sort of radicalisation talked about in this thread working with me. That said, I take the point that there will be a significant proportion of the country who will not care less how terribly Johnson comes across as long as he gets us out of the EU- I daresay he and his strategists are thinking that if that figure amounts to 35 to 40 per cent of the electorate, they'll win, but there are remain voters out there who think the Referendum outcome should be respected and leave voters who don't want a no deal Brexit whose support he could do with who I can't see being very impressed by his antics yesterday.

  9. #9

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I think it's even better now. It has brought prosperity and some superb protections for workers, consumers and the environment et al.
    Those things would have happened anyway without the UK being a member of the EU.

    One good thing I can think of which would not have happened otherwise is the centralised procedure for registration of new medicines, whereby a single registration to the EMEA means that a new medicine can be simultaneously approved in all 28 countries, thus introducing new medicines for the benefit of all EU folk in one go.

  10. #10

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Those things would have happened anyway without the UK being a member of the EU.

    One good thing I can think of which would not have happened otherwise is the centralised procedure for registration of new medicines, whereby a single registration to the EMEA means that a new medicine can be simultaneously approved in all 28 countries, thus introducing new medicines for the benefit of all EU folk in one go.
    We'll see after brexit, but my guess would be that worker rights will be relaxed under the Tories and no EU. Good for the CEOs.

  11. #11

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Speaking as a pensioner (not sure if I can be described as radicalised) I agree it is not helpful that Johnson appeared to be at war with the EU last night with the expressions he used, like white flag and surrender. Being of a certain age I can remember the Common Market and the obvious advantages that brought. It was a good scheme. This has now grown into a monster called the EU which is not what we signed up to 40+ years ago. A vast bureaucratic machine which gobbles £ billions and has an army of unelected "representatives" riding along on a long gravy train. If that opinion makes me a radicalised pensioner, so be it.
    Apologies for any offence caused, the comment was aimed at the Tory party membership who seemed to really enjoy Johnson's confrontational style and voted for him in great numbers.

    How this approach plays with the electorate in general remains to be seen

    I'm not that far away from being a pensioner myself, though it does seem with every passing year that the milestone seems to recede into the distance.

  12. #12

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    Apologies for any offence caused, the comment was aimed at the Tory party membership who seemed to really enjoy Johnson's confrontational style and voted for him in great numbers.

    How this approach plays with the electorate in general remains to be seen

    I'm not that far away from being a pensioner myself, though it does seem with every passing year that the milestone seems to recede into the distance.
    No offence taken at all. A radicalised pensioner has a bit of a "cool" ring to it, as they say. Shades of Monty Python's "Hells Grannies" if you are old enough to remember that.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ckXn9NirHA

  13. #13

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    I doubt they would have happened with a Tory administration in tenure. These issues are anathema to them. If they can rip off workers, consumers and exploit the environment it helps fulfill their aims. I believe if we do leave the EU it won't be long before people start to realise how much worse off we will have become. We don't often appreciate how good things are till they've gone.

  14. #14

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    No offence taken at all. A radicalised pensioner has a bit of a "cool" ring to it, as they say. Shades of Monty Python's "Hells Grannies" if you are old enough to remember that.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ckXn9NirHA
    Alas I am!

  15. #15

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    Alas I am!
    OK, join the club! Probably very non-PC today but still very funny I think.

  16. #16

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    I dont think Boris's rhetoric is played out just for pensioners.

  17. #17

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Johnson - rattled yes, but Corbyn statesmanlike - uhm, that's stretching it a bit. If ever there was a non-statesmanlike potential PM then it has to be him!(Close runner up might be Michael Foot?). Why does Corbyn always come over as a bitter, angry bloke? Inferiority complex?
    Even some of Corbyn’s most bitter critics are silent today. He has got it spot on this week and carried his party with him. He has had a very good week. He has been calm and measured in Parliament whilst Johnson has resorted to yet more lies and childish insults. Even by the desperately low standards of recent Tory PM’s Johnson has managed to be the worst of the lot. Never before have we had to tolerate someone so unfit for public office.

  18. #18

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    did anyone else think he was utterly useless in the Commons yesterday? Maybe when/if he gets his election, he'll prove himself to be a brilliant campaigner, but, watching him at the Despatch box yesterday, I began to think his proroguing of Parliament and eagerness to have an election was more down to a desperation to avoid things like PMQs than some masterly plan to make sure we Brexited on 31 October.
    No you are not.

    Floppy fringes whole strategy seems to be based on lying, avoiding questions, provocative language and acting like alpha macho male in an attempt to play to watching crowd. Commonly known as 'style over substance'.

    The man is an entitled, conceited arse.

    The concerning thing is though people will still vote for him.

  19. #19

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Even some of Corbyn’s most bitter critics are silent today. He has got it spot on this week and carried his party with him. He has had a very good week. He has been calm and measured in Parliament whilst Johnson has resorted to yet more lies and childish insults. Even by the desperately low standards of recent Tory PM’s Johnson has managed to be the worst of the lot. Never before have we had to tolerate someone so unfit for public office.
    Even his closest supporters in the Labour party are pretty quiet too! I can't help wondering that they dare not speak the unspeakable, that deep down they know that Corbyn is not PM material but he has been carried along on a wave of euphoria by Momentum supporters. It's now crunch time with a general election looming. Look around and surely you must admit that Thornberry, Starmer or McDonald are better candidates to be a Labour PM?

  20. #20

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Even his closest supporters in the Labour party are pretty quiet too! I can't help wondering that they dare not speak the unspeakable, that deep down they know that Corbyn is not PM material but he has been carried along on a wave of euphoria by Momentum supporters. It's now crunch time with a general election looming. Look around and surely you must admit that Thornberry, Starmer or McDonald are better candidates to be a Labour PM?
    I would far prefer Starmer as Labour leader. He is the obvious choice for me.

  21. #21

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Even some of Corbyn’s most bitter critics are silent today. He has got it spot on this week and carried his party with him. He has had a very good week. He has been calm and measured in Parliament whilst Johnson has resorted to yet more lies and childish insults. Even by the desperately low standards of recent Tory PM’s Johnson has managed to be the worst of the lot. Never before have we had to tolerate someone so unfit for public office.
    Jeremy's coming out of this very well. He's knocking spots off the over entitled bag of wind.

  22. #22
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,323

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Jeremy's coming out of this very well. He's knocking spots off the over entitled bag of wind.
    Jeremy has been knobbled.

  23. #23

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    So, some MPs have managed to stop the government enacting the vote temporarily, and are preventing the people from electing a new government.
    All stop then and a few more days or weeks of defying the electorate and staying in the EU, at least on paper.

    It's a last desperate tactic, but how long can they hold on and prevent anything happening ? I shouldn't think for very long, because it's already looking like a chaotic mess with various antipathetic groups roaming through the Palace of Westminster like looters, vandalising democracy but having no idea whatever what to do next.

  24. #24

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    So, some MPs have managed to stop the government enacting the vote temporarily, and are preventing the people from electing a new government.
    All stop then and a few more days or weeks of defying the electorate and staying in the EU, at least on paper.

    It's a last desperate tactic, but how long can they hold on and prevent anything happening ? I shouldn't think for very long, because it's already looking like a chaotic mess with various antipathetic groups roaming through the Palace of Westminster like looters, vandalising democracy but having no idea whatever what to do next.
    I think they have been pretty clear actually. Stop no deal and then we can have a general election. What happens then who knows.

    The Tory rebels combined with the opposition parties have been consistent throughout. They were going to do whatever necessary to prevent no deal.

  25. #25

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Jeremy's coming out of this very well. He's knocking spots off the over entitled bag of wind.
    I wouldn't give Corbyn any particular credit for that as Johnson is living up to the all-bluster, no-substance politician that we feared. Even I as a non-political geriatric would come out of it pretty well in a one-to-one with Johnson at the moment!

  26. #26

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Jeremy has been knobbled.
    No I certainly don't think so. Exciting times ahead

  27. #27

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    So, some MPs have managed to stop the government enacting the vote temporarily, and are preventing the people from electing a new government.
    All stop then and a few more days or weeks of defying the electorate and staying in the EU, at least on paper.

    It's a last desperate tactic, but how long can they hold on and prevent anything happening ? I shouldn't think for very long, because it's already looking like a chaotic mess with various antipathetic groups roaming through the Palace of Westminster like looters, vandalising democracy but having no idea whatever what to do next.
    Even the PM's brother has now deserted him in the name of defending democracy. It's all starting to unravel now, big time.

  28. #28

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I wouldn't give Corbyn any particular credit for that as Johnson is living up to the all-bluster, no-substance politician that we feared. Even I as a non-political geriatric would come out of it pretty well in a one-to-one with Johnson at the moment!
    I agree entirely Johnson is rubbish but I think you are being unfair on Jeremy. He may not be the brains behind the new project (That's more like J McD, Starmer and Thornberry) but boy what a figurehead he is to galvanise the support of the young and disenfranchised.

  29. #29

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    did anyone else think he was utterly useless in the Commons yesterday? Maybe when/if he gets his election, he'll prove himself to be a brilliant campaigner, but, watching him at the Despatch box yesterday, I began to think his proroguing of Parliament and eagerness to have an election was more down to a desperation to avoid things like PMQs than some masterly plan to make sure we Brexited on 31 October.
    Watching him live now in Yorkshire. Living up to turning up late, unprepared, waffling, embarrassing himself and next....leaving expecting others to clear up the mess. Exactly as he was behind the scenes when Mayor of London. A complete embarrassment to the country. Hopefully the shortest PM tenure ever.

  30. #30
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,323

    Re: Johnson, I know I'm biased, but..................................

    And The Sun are just confused!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •