+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Any doctors or nurses on here ? Urinary tract infection

Any doctors or nurses on here ? Urinary tract infection

My old dear is 85 and has been diagnosed with one of these

She's raving hardcore , totally off her face , dazed and confused

Is this normal ?

Its almost like she's got Alzheimer's

Re: Any doctors or nurses on here ? Urinary tract infection

A mate of mine's mother regularly had urinary tract infections in her 90's. One of the symptoms was dementia type behaviour, oh and constant swearing! But you're best bet is to ask the medical staff dealing with her, I'm sure they have a broader knowledge on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    A mate of mine's mother regularly had urinary tract infections in her 90's. One of the symptoms was dementia type behaviour, oh and constant swearing! But you're best bet is to ask the medical staff dealing with her, I'm sure they have a broader knowledge on the subject.
    I will do once I get to llandough later on today , she's been carted off

Yes, confusion and delirium is associated with uti’s.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    My old dear is 85 and has been diagnosed with one of these

She's raving hardcore , totally off her face , dazed and confused

Is this normal ?

Its almost like she's got Alzheimer's
    Confusion is very normal common.i have seen lots of them,more common in women.it's usually a case of anti biotic. It's a very common infection with elderly people but also quite distressing for the carer to see the level of confusion. Hope all is well mate.

I concur with several of the above replies. My ex's elderly aunt seemed to have a touch of insanity due to this very problem - and we thought she had lost it for ever. And I know a middle-aged woman that suffers from it and, after having another dose of antibiotics, has been prescribed oestrogen for it as it is something that is produced less as ladies get older and which can contribute to the problem, I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Confusion is very normal common.i have seen lots of them,more common in women.it's usually a case of anti biotic. It's a very common infection with elderly people but also quite distressing for the carer to see the level of confusion. Hope all is well mate.
    Its like she's on bad acid , paranoid , deluded etc

Anyway cheers mate , off to clinical decision unit to see her later on , pain in the arse really as Bridgend is my local hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I concur with several of the above replies. My ex's elderly aunt seemed to have a touch of insanity due to this very problem - and we thought she had lost it for ever. And I know a middle-aged woman that suffers from it and, after having another dose of antibiotics, has been prescribed oestrogen for it as it is something that is produced less as ladies get older and which can contribute to the problem, I understand.
    Cheers , she's been told she's low on pottasium which might be causing the problem

Cheers , she's been told she's low on pottasium which might be causing the problem
    Good luck .
    Natural help remedies vitamin c , cranberry juices good quality ones

Its like she's on bad acid , paranoid , deluded etc

Anyway cheers mate , off to clinical decision unit to see her later on , pain in the arse really as Bridgend is my local hospital
    It’s quite nuts seeing people with UTI’s. My dad was in the royal Glamorgan suffering with liver cancer, he had one and was going on about all sorts, telling me in great detail about all the fish they were bringing into the ward during the night.... sea bass, red mullet, mackerel, they’d have feasts all they the night.....

Only just seen this Sludge my mother in law had the same last year.
    When you witness it it is very worrying.
    Antibiotics sorted it.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Only just seen this Sludge my mother in law had the same last year.
    When you witness it it is very worrying.
    Antibiotics sorted it.
    They have got her on a high dose in llandough , she seems more with it but she's been off her cake with this bout fair play , early nineties raver