+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dont allow democracy die ??

Dont allow democracy die ??

Darren Jones, the Labour MP for Bristol North West, told protesters in the city that people should take to the streets to demonstrate against the prime minister and not allow “democracy to die”.

Wasn't there a democratic vote and parliament actually stopped that due process happening.

Ironic , some Labour voters might find this a very bitter pill to swallow.

It appears big city Labour v poorer area Labour , is developing .

Next election will be very intresting.

Re: Dont allow democracy die ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Darren Jones, the Labour MP for Bristol North West, told protesters in the city that people should take to the streets to demonstrate against the prime minister and not allow “democracy to die”.

Wasn't there a democratic vote and parliament actually stopped that due process happening.

Ironic , some Labour voters might find this a very bitter pill to swallow.

It appears big city Labour v poorer area Labour , is developing .

Next election will be very intresting.
    If it's a choice between Parliamentary democracy and a glorified Opinion Poll then it's a no brainer surely Shirley?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    If it's a choice between Parliamentary democracy and a glorified Opinion Poll then it's a no brainer surely Shirley?
    My point is not about opinion polls its about actual democratic votes.

In 2016 we had a democratic vote .

Recently we had European elections which suggested there is still a hunger too leave.

It is suggested even amongst some Labour voters Boris decesion to suspend parliamentary business to get Brexit done and not interfered with is popular.

My OP point is, a Labour MP and it 's leader are talking about undemocratic behaviour, I personally feel over the last two years ,they with others have behaved equally un - democratic in blocking, amending bills and votes in the same way to kick the can down the road to an election , rather than abide or seek a decision even many of thier voters wanted (too leave )

Heisenberg

Recently we had European elections which suggested there is still a hunger too leave.

It is suggested even amongst some Labour voters Boris decesion to suspend parliamentary business to get Brexit done and not interfered with is popular.

My OP point is, a Labour MP and it 's leader are talking about undemocratic behaviour, I personally feel over the last two years ,they with others have behaved equally un - democratic in blocking, amending bills and votes in the same way to kick the can down the road to an election , rather than abide or seek a decision even many of thier voters wanted (too leave )
    You don't think protesting is democratic behaviour? You don't think voting on the outcome of bills with hopefully the best interests of the country in mind is democratic behaviour?

Yet you're all for Boris getting a no deal Brexit all costs.

It's clearly still Labour bad/Tories good for you, no matter how badly you try to say that you don't think that way.

I don't want to hear about democracy from people who've been using every low trick to thwart it for three years.

Hardly an exercise in Parliamentary democracy to spend three years misusing the rules to stop the implementation of a public vote in which Parliament " sought the directions of the electorate ".
    It's the cheats within PW itself who have jepordised Parliamentary Democracy, not the electorate who seek to hold them to account for their malfeasance.

Mine too! Our Parliamentary Democracy honed over centuries will always trump the quack 2016 Opinion Poll: Simples

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Hardly an exercise in Parliamentary democracy to spend three years misusing the rules to stop the implementation of a public vote in which Parliament " sought the directions of the electorate ".
    It's the cheats within PW itself who have jepordised Parliamentary Democracy, not the electorate who seek to hold them to account for their malfeasance.
    There's been no misuse of rules. The problem was the quack 2016 Opinion Poll which has only served to throw this country into political chaos and engender deep division. My guess is that if some alien civilization is scrutinizing us from afar they will have learnt a valuable lesson how not to implement democracy.

Mine too! Our Parliamentary Democracy honed over centuries will always trump the quack 2016 Opinion Poll: Simples

I don't want to hear about democracy from people who've been using every low trick to thwart it for three years.
    Yeah bloody sneaky remainers convincing the erg to vote against the deal.

They're separate things, and a properly convened referrendum isn't a "quack opinion poll".

What's more, I guarantee that you're on the losing side of this argument ultimately.

Talking of "low tricks",

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dar...different-way/

I would feel much better about this whole thing if the Referendum had been conducted in a manner which generally gave people the information they needed to arrive at a properly considered decision regarding our future. Instead, it was lowest common denominator stuff on both sides which, if there was any justice regarding the quality of debate and the arguments put forward, should have seen the Referendum ending in a 0-0 draw.

They're separate things, and a properly convened referrendum isn't a "quack opinion poll".
    Not just separate; worse than that: mutually exclusive. Therein lies the problem. QED!

Protesters using democracy to protest against democracy

Nice and simple as I see it :

There was a vote not an opionon poll that delivered a leave result .

Biggest voting turn out for a long time (not a poll)

On 29 March 17 the (UK) invoked Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union which began the member state's withdrawal triggered in Jan 17, by Corbyn who announced that Labour would impose a three-line whip to force Labour MPs in favour of triggering Article 50.

Then parliament simply delayed the UK departure by having .
    endless Brexit debates and votes too disrupt the result to leave .

Opposition parties could have supported May's withdrawal deal.

As a result of not backing May's deal the impact was known to (all )

Boris into power enhancers a no deal exit .(which all knew)

Is that what they wanted anyway ??

Back to the OP , people voted to leave , MP,s dont agree how the duck is that democratic????????????????.

PS I hate the Tories and have always voted Labour throughout my life , they have let me down since JC and his like arrived and I no longer reognise the party I supported and belonged too for the last 40 year's.

Labour have put Boris in power no one else .

Nice and simple as I see it :

There was a vote not an opionon poll that delivered a leave result .

Biggest voting turn out for a long time (not a poll)

On 29 March 17 the (UK) invoked Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union which began the member state's withdrawal triggered in Jan 17, by Corbyn who announced that Labour would impose a three-line whip to force Labour MPs in favour of triggering Article 50.

Then parliament simply delayed the UK departure by having .
    endless Brexit debates and votes too disrupt the result to leave .

Opposition parties could have supported May's withdrawal deal.

As a result of not backing May's deal the impact was known to (all )

Boris into power enhancers a no deal exit .(which all knew)

Is that what they wanted anyway ??

Back to the OP , people voted to leave , MP,s dont agree how the duck is that democratic????????????????.

PS I hate the Tories and have always voted Labour throughout my life , they have let me down since JC and his like arrived and I no longer reognise the party I supported and belonged too for the last 40 year's.

Labour have put Boris in power no one else .
    1. It was a glorified opinion poll which could have produced different results at different times. It's not cast in stone like some football result. It was purely advisory and some MPs chose to view it that way. Correctly in my opinion.

2. What is happening now amounts to a full blown assault on democracy.

3. How has JC let you down? Did he not select you for a top job maybe?

Virtually everyone I've encountered who banged on about British democracy - how precious it is why it must be preserved - also chose, when challenged, to somehow defend the anti-democratic office of the British head of state so absurdly hypocritical were they. The real hardcore drones retreated to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" as a last-ditch Maginot line defence. David Icke maintains that many people, perhaps the majority, merely repeat propaganda without bothering to rationalise the arrant bullshit they spout, and it's easy to agree with him.

I've viewed two dozen or more images of 'stop the coup' protests that took place yesterday at various UK towns and cities and didn't spot a non-white face amongst any of them. An identical demographic appear at Extinction Rebellion demos.

Parliament also voted heavily in favour to allow the referendum to take place think it was 6 to 1 in favour.

The wording on the referendum voting paper said leave or remain and followed by (the government will deliver your decesion )

Intresting development and welcome ,deselection is such a poor behaviour for being brave abouts one's view

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/unit...r-brexit-deal/

Parliament also voted heavily in favour to allow the referendum to take place think it was 6 to 1 in favour.

The wording on the referendum voting paper said leave or remain and followed by (the government will deliver your decesion )
    And the past thirty eight months has proved how totally inadequate and unfit for purpose that wording was.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And the past thirty eight months has proved how totally inadequate and unfit for purpose that wording was.
    Yes and how sad that is , shame on all you MP'S for your lack of loyalty to its people .

1. It was a glorified opinion poll which could have produced different results at different times. It's not cast in stone like some football result. It was purely advisory and some MPs chose to view it that way. Correctly in my opinion.

2. What is happening now amounts to a full blown assault on democracy.
    Talk about rewriting history!

Valerie Vaz, Labour’s Shadow Commons Leader, has called for prorogation at least three times since May.