+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giggs' post match analysis.

Re: Giggs' post match analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Turkey top their group after already beating World Cup holders France 2-0. Yet tonight it took a last minute winner to beat Andorra 1-0 at home.

Just goes to show football is a funny old game and we shouldn’t take anything for granted.

A country our size has no divine right to be thrashing anyone.
    Absolutely we don’t and I don’t think we ever find it easy being the favourites going into a game and struggle to break teams down - Moldova of late aside.

I do think yesterday was the tip of the iceberg as it follows on from 2 games where we have been really poor and again against Azerbaijan appeared to lack a plan or or identity. I think we have a much better squad in terms of quality than the one that went to Euro 2016, but at least that team had a plan and style of play that everyone bought into. Here’s hoping with maybe Ramsey back things will improve this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Turkey top their group after already beating World Cup holders France 2-0. Yet tonight it took a last minute winner to beat Andorra 1-0 at home.
    According to the BBC it's because Andorra played with 24! https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49621775

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post
    Absolutely we don’t and I don’t think we ever find it easy being the favourites going into a game and struggle to break teams down - Moldova of late aside.

I do think yesterday was the tip of the iceberg as it follows on from 2 games where we have been really poor and again against Azerbaijan appeared to lack a plan or or identity. I think we have a much better squad in terms of quality than the one that went to Euro 2016, but at least that team had a plan and style of play that everyone bought into. Here’s hoping with maybe Ramsey back things will improve this time around.
    The concerning thing for me is that our level of performance is getting progressively worse with each match we play in this qualifying group. You say that we have a much better squad in terms of quality than we did in 2016 and I tend to agree with you, however, the proven international high quality we had in 2016 have all declined (Bale, Allen, Williams) or, in the case of Ramsey and Ben Davies, been sidelined through injury and the quality coming through to replace them is still unproven in lots of ways at this level.

A year ago when we stuffed Ireland, our attacking potential looked frightening even before Dan James really began his emergence as player who can contribute at the highest levels of domestic club football, but Friday confirmed what has been clear for a while - the likes of James, Wilson, Lawrence and Brooks are still individual talents who cannot yet combine seamlessly for the benefit of the team.

The best thing about Friday for me was the way young defenders like Roberts, Rodon and Mepham came through what was not the greatest of tests granted. I thought Ampadu was a little disappointing on the night, but I think we've seen enough already from him to realise that he is going to be an integral part of our defence and/or midfield in the next decade or more providing he doesn't let all of the money and fame go to his head.

It's still early days yet, but Giggs has made a pig's ear so far of converting all of that individual attacking talent into anything approaching a cohesive unit - four goals in four games (one of which was a comical own goal) is just not good enough from this group of forwards and I've little confidence that we'll have any chance of qualifying from this group by the time the next international break ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    According to the BBC it's because Andorra played with 24! https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49621775
    Amazing how they both had 84 percent possession as well