+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newport Second In Div 2

Re: Newport Second In Div 2

I think it just depends on what era you grew up in.....Newport were big rivals when we were in the same league etc mid 80’s....plus the fact that most of our fans were hooligans, and I don’t give a monkeys what anyone says, they were.....saw running battles every other weekend in either Newport or Cardiff and that was when games weren’t even on....people a bit older might say the jacks as they rise up early 80’s and the even older old farts will say the wurzels from the 70’s.....jacks def the 90’s and 00’s....

Definitely an age thing, it’s Bristol City for me, Swansea weren’t on our radar in my boots ‘n’ bracers days 🤪

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ...if we play them in the FA Cup this season they'll beat us...fact
    I reckon Newport Women would turn us over under Colin to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I think it just depends on what era you grew up in.....Newport were big rivals when we were in the same league etc mid 80’s....plus the fact that most of our fans were hooligans, and I don’t give a monkeys what anyone says, they were.....saw running battles every other weekend in either Newport or Cardiff and that was when games weren’t even on....people a bit older might say the jacks as they rise up early 80’s and the even older old farts will say the wurzels from the 70’s.....jacks def the 90’s and 00’s....
    I think we are talking about now

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Our biggest derby and rival is Swansea. There is no doubt about it.
    Pffft. Doesnt come close to the Man City v Bury rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Good luck to Newport. I really don't see them as a rival, but really no reason they couldn't sustain a league one/championship team and become a legitimate one. Add a bit of interest to the league.
    I don't think if they grew their crowds it would be at our expense much either, as there are lots of plastics in Newport and not many city fans afaik
    There are quite a few City fans in Newport and further east (Caldicot, Chepstow etc). Obviously this fluctuates with success but it is usually the same faces who travel down and are loyal. Many have their own reasons for supporting City and the fact County did not have a club in Newport for 5 years and weren't in the football league for 15 years has a big say also.

Newport is a rugby town though. The regional team still has bigger crowds than County despite being in the main absolutely atrocious for many a season since regional rugby came in.

Cwmbran has a lot of City fans and always has although more County fans have come out of the woodwork up there with their fairly recent return to the league and climb up League 2 with a few cup runs thrown in.

RAMS coach days there would always be a fairly healthy number getting picked up at spots/roundabouts in Newport by the Cwmbran buses and from further afield as they went up the M4. I'm sure the supporters club still picks up in Newport for every away game now.

There are one of two Jacks about in Gwent too but again this is down to their recent relative success more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    There are quite a few City fans in Newport and further east (Caldicot, Chepstow etc). Obviously this fluctuates with success but it is usually the same faces who travel down and are loyal. Many have their own reasons for supporting City and the fact County did not have a club in Newport for 5 years and weren't in the football league for 15 years has a big say also.

Newport is a rugby town though. The regional team still has bigger crowds than County despite being in the main absolutely atrocious for many a season since regional rugby came in.

Cwmbran has a lot of City fans and always has although more County fans have come out of the woodwork up there with their fairly recent return to the league and climb up League 2 with a few cup runs thrown in.

RAMS coach days there would always be a fairly healthy number getting picked up at spots/roundabouts in Newport by the Cwmbran buses and from further afield as they went up the M4. I'm sure the supporters club still picks up in Newport for every away game now.

There are one of two Jacks about in Gwent too but again this is down to their recent relative success more than anything.
    Pretty sure most buses stop in Newport to pick up a few

I remember the bus breaking down in Newport on the way back from a game in the promotion season

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Good for you.

Or Man City and United willing each other on against other teams from outside their City?
    Actually, only Man City are within the City boundary. Don't you remember the Carlos Tevez poster with 'Welcome To Manchester' after he'd played for United?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

If you ever read planet swans they will have you believe gwent is full of them these days with packed trains heading to Swansea in match day before they were relegated......

International

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    If there isn't a problem why have football intelligence officers ?
    Surely a complete waste of money ?
    Some people might consider 'intelligence' and 'officers' in the same sentence as an oxymoron.
    Maybe

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Our biggest derby and rival is Swansea. There is no doubt about it.
    In my lifetime it has been Bristol.

International

[QUOTE=blue lewj;5003864]I reckon Newport Women would turn us over under Colin to be honest.[/QUOTe

I dont care who the woman was I wouldn't want to be under 'colin''

Threads on the exiles board generally reflect the sentiment on this board when the topic of ccfc comes up. A fair few dislike Cardiff and the Jacks, the majority are indifferent and some have some sort of connection or measured affection to CCFC....which is normal considering the proximity.

Overall though, I find their board is generally more level headed than this one. Probably got something to do with being a lower league club with minimal resources. As a fan, I imagine it makes you appreciate the small victories and see the rivalry for what it is, silliness and bravado.

I don’t blame them for disliking us anyway. We are something of a circus and our fan “representatives” aren’t exactly the most endearing. I imagine they see us as an egotistical bunch who think they can lord it over the rest.

It’s obviously not true, and I imagine the average City fan has exactly the same background as the average County fan. Both important port towns in their day who draw people from the neighbouring mining communities.

Anyone who puts rivalry over the development of the game at a national level is being petty imo. All four Welsh teams being as high up the pyramid as possible has got to be the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    F’ck em
    This.

Don't understand the love-in.

I saw a Newport County on the train on Saturday, he seemed alright

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Ridiculous!! Hitler has never been the City’s chairman!

Godwin’s law features so early

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Godwin’s law features so early
    In my defence I didn’t bring him up.............I was just following orders😱

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This.

Well when's the last time we played them? 1988? They're local and we haven't played them for over 30 years, its only natural that people would develop a bit of a soft spot for them

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This.

Make love. Not War