+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newport Second In Div 2

Re: Newport Second In Div 2

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Good luck policing that one.
    I’m sure Sth Wales finest are shitting themselves at the thought. A couple of hundred Neanderthals pavement dancing. **** me. Cancel all leave now!

If there isn't a problem why have football intelligence officers ?
    Surely a complete waste of money ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You're not seriously trying to compare those rivalries with Cardiff and Newport, are you?
    That’s not the point I was making but hey-ho.

I was replying to a poster more or less saying he didn’t mind Swansea doing well.

Also, he’s not the first poster on here to allude to the fact he wants all Welsh clubs to do well and that’s the part I don’t understand. Unless you’re a Cardiff fan from Newport and you want your home town club to do well, it’s club football not international football.

To me, as a Cardiff City fan, The Cardiff v Swansea rivalry is every bit as big as any of the derbies I mentioned anyway.

He's comparing some of the biggest historical football rivalries in Britain with Cardiff and Newport.

Newport County have finished above Cardiff City in the league pyramid on just five occasions in their entire history! The last time it happened was 1987! Hitler was in power on two of those occasions!

Not exactly the same situation, is it? It's like comparing Manchester City with Bury.
    Erm, no I wasn’t.

My point was I don’t understand why we should want Newport or Swansea to do well just because geographically they are our neighbours and fellow Welsh clubs.

Besides, the rivalry with Newport is far more to do with what happened off the pitch than on it so league position is irrelevant really.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Good for you.
    I class the likes of Bristol City and Leeds as rivals I like to see fail. Swansea and Newport are small fry neighbours trying to better themselves. Just like us.
    Yes, Swansea who’ve just spent seven years in the PL and are still selling players for 20m+ are just small fry and Bristol Rovers, one of the clubs mentioned in your initial post that you want to see fail are not? Um, ok.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yes, Swansea who’ve just spent seven years in the PL and are still selling players for 20m+ are just small fry and Bristol Rovers, one of the clubs mentioned in your initial post that you want to see fail are not? Um, ok.
    At the moment Swansea are small fry.

Sitting pretty at the top of the Championship

They are top of the championship and have just made about 40m in the transfer market.

- How much of an advantage is Rodney Parade to County? In terms of growing the club, would that be nearer the top of your list to improve things or does it provide such a unique experience in the modern game that you would place it nearer the bottom? If looking to build a new stadium what capacity do you think should be chosen?

- If County don't get promoted this year will they be able to keep hold of Flynn? Should we be looking at him now to come in after Warnock? What sort of tactics do County play and would they work here?

- Are County the best example of why a side should actually try in cup competitions even if there is short term negative impact on your promotion chances? Would we have gone up under DJ if not making it to the FA Cup final? Would wurzels have gone up if not progressing to face Man City in the cup that recent season?

There are more interesting things to talk about than whether Jimmy down the pub, County fan, really hates Cardiff or not. You may say it's none of the points raised above

They are top of the championship and have just made about 40m in the transfer market.
    And still have a £50 million wage bill.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    And still have a £50 million wage bill.....
    Big wagebill for a small fry club. I wonder what Bristol Rovers wagebill is?

Erm, no I wasn’t.

My point was I don’t understand why we should want Newport or Swansea to do well just because geographically they are our neighbours and fellow Welsh clubs.

Besides, the rivalry with Newport is far more to do with what happened off the pitch than on it so league position is irrelevant really.
    If you weren't attempting to make a comparison, then I don't know why you mentioned those rivalries, which are all huge and have a major historical basis in terms of the competition between the clubs involved.

Better examples would have been Manchester City and Bury, or Manchester United and Oldham, or Arsenal and Barnet, or Liverpool and Tranmere.

If you weren't attempting to make a comparison, then I don't know why you mentioned those rivalries, which are all huge and have a major historical basis in terms of the competition between the clubs involved.

Better examples would have been Manchester City and Bury, or Manchester United and Oldham, or Arsenal and Barnet, or Liverpool and Tranmere.
    If Manchester City v Bury is on a par with Cardiff v Swansea then I bow to your superior knowledge.

You are wandering off again. I thought this thread was about rivalries? To me, playing a Bristol club, will always be a bigger rivalry than playing the Jacks. Last few times we’ve played the Swans, it felt like the atmosphere had to be manufactured or forced out. Where as, I don’t think you need to try too hard to dislike the carrot crunching bumpkins from the West Country.

Anyway back to my OP , as a footy fan of many years , I'm really happy for them , they have been to hell and back , its a great against the odds football story.

I worked for years in Newport and they gave me hell as a Cardiff born fan , but we still got pissed together.

When we do eventually play them, Cardiff hopefully will thrash them .

I can put my hatred to better use than the County .

If Manchester City v Bury is on a par with Cardiff v Swansea then I bow to your superior knowledge.
    I thought this thread was about Newport County? Or was the title a red herring?

I thought this thread was about Newport County? Or was the title a red herring?
    It’s gone off on a tangent, as threads do, and evolved into other rivalry’s. The post I made, which you seem to want to pick apart for some reason, was in response to someone saying they would much rather Newport and SWANSEA to do well rather than either of the Bristol clubs.

Three times you’ve been told i was referring to the Jacks.

There won’t be a fourth so please have the last word you so enjoy.

I dint think the hedge fund are happy about it, it’s not for bragging, morelike they’d love it to be half that so they dint have to borrow another 29 million from the bank to cover the short fall. They are a small club W gulch us why they relied so heavily on the sky money, some 90% of their income in the P L days.

...if we play them in the FA Cup this season they'll beat us...fact

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    Whoever we play in the Third Round of the FA Cup will beat us! if we drew Newport and both teams went into the match with their normal cup attitudes, the giant killing act would be us beating them - I just hope we get an away draw because, sucker that I am, I'll be there if we play at Cardiff City Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    Probably, chances are we will still be two leagues apart again come May. Maybe three.....

Good luck to Newport. I really don't see them as a rival, but really no reason they couldn't sustain a league one/championship team and become a legitimate one. Add a bit of interest to the league.
    I don't think if they grew their crowds it would be at our expense much either, as there are lots of plastics in Newport and not many city fans afaik

You are wandering off again. I thought this thread was about rivalries? To me, playing a Bristol club, will always be a bigger rivalry than playing the Jacks. Last few times we’ve played the Swans, it felt like the atmosphere had to be manufactured or forced out. Where as, I don’t think you need to try too hard to dislike the carrot crunching bumpkins from the West Country.
    Really? The atmosphere after Chopra scored that last second winner beat even that of getting to the league cup final on penalties.

Crowds:

2008/09 (Ninian Park)

vs Bristol City - 19,312
    vs Swansea City - 20,156

2009/10 (CCS)

vs Bristol City - 20,853
    vs Swansea City - 25,130

2010/11

vs Bristol City - 22,444
    vs Swansea City - 26,049

There has yet to be an occasion this millennium where the Bristol City home game has been our biggest attendance of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Really? The atmosphere after Chopra scored that last second winner beat even that of getting to the league cup final on penalties.

Crowds:

2008/09 (Ninian Park)

vs Bristol City - 19,312
    vs Swansea City - 20,156

2009/10 (CCS)

vs Bristol City - 20,853
    vs Swansea City - 25,130

2010/11

vs Bristol City - 22,444
    vs Swansea City - 26,049

There has yet to be an occasion this millennium where the Bristol City home game has been our biggest attendance of the season.
    Yes but it's a lot more convenient to say that Bristol is the bigger rivalry as we have been better than them for about a decade and worse than Swansea for about the same time

Our biggest derby and rival is Swansea. There is no doubt about it.