My father took me to my first Cardiff City game in March 1975 on the day before my eighth birthday. Sheffield Wednesday were City’s opponents that day. The Owls were rock bottom of the Second Division table, while the Bluebirds were just one place above them. The match ended in a goalless draw. The crowd jeered, slow hand clapped and chanted ‘what a load of rubbish’ at regular intervals throughout the ninety minutes and City were booed off the field following the final whistle. Both teams were relegated to the Third Division a month later.

Crowds slow hand clapping during matches, chanting 'what a load of rubbish' and booing the players off the field at the end of games were regular features of my formative years as a City fan. The team was rarely much good and there always seemed to be some sort of drama happening off the field. Indeed, 'sack the board' was another favourite chant of the Bluebirds faithful back then.

Strong vocal reactions from supporters to the performances of their players was by no means restricted to Cardiff City and Ninian Park. I can remember having great fun at a wide variety of away matches when City were winning and the home crowds were consequently giving their players or managers some serious stick.

In light of some of the recent threads on here in which certain individuals have taken great exception to the idea that any Cardiff City supporter should dare to be critical of the manager, individual players, the team or the club in general, I've been trying to remember the last time a City side got some genuine stick from their own fans during a game and it's been difficult. Furthermore, I can't recall hearing any Premier League or EFL team getting such treatment in recent times, let alone Cardiff.

Of course, I haven't been to too many matches post-rebrand, but I've watched hundreds on TV and I've also been thinking in terms of the years leading up to 2012 as well as the present day. I can remember Roger Johnson moaning to the press about City fans at one point during the Dave Jones era, although I can't recall the exact details. However, I do remember laughing about it with David Giles and him telling me: "Johnson doesn't know he's born. During the Seventies and Eighties the fans used to heckle us in the warm-up!"

When did things change in that respect and why? When was the last time slow hand clapping and chants of 'what a load of rubbish' were heard at British football grounds? Considering the gap between the average professional player and the average supporter has never been greater in terms of earnings and lifestyles, why has it seemingly become so taboo to give the players some genuine stick during games?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.