Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
Yes, 0-3. I can remember the crowd weren't happy but I can't recall it being that full-on.
That's how I remember it. I have two main memories of your first game. The first was the Sheffield Wednesday keeper saving a penalty from Johnny Vincent I think it was, but the one that is relevant to this subject is George Smith v signing the home crowd when he was substituted. A year or so before that match, I can remember Leighton Phillips doing the same when he scored a late goal to give us a 1-0 win over Notts County.

The closest thing I can thinking of to compare to that in the fairly recent past is Craig Bellamy's "celebration" of his goal against Norwich being a reaction to the stick which Peter Whittingham had got from supporters in a match in which he was taken off for tactical reasons in the first half - that's the only thing I can think of in the last twenty five years or so that even remotely compares with the incidents I described in the paragraph above.

Someone mentioned the Chelsea fans giving Sarri some fearful abuse at Cardiff City Stadium last season and one of the reasons I was so surprised by it was that it is so unusual these days.

Players and managers don't know they're born these days when it comes to abuse from their own supporters at games - maybe the advent of social media has led to supporters waiting until the game is over before letting off steam?