+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bands you saw before they were famous

Re: Bands you saw before they were famous

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Homophobe. Reported

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I know you're not 14. Do you prefer the term "personnel"?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I know you're not 14. Do you prefer the term "personnel"?
    Human Resources.

I'll start with. Southern Death Cult, Getting the Fear and the Cult. I never saw Death Cult. Did they even play any shows? All I remember is the EP.
    Oddly enough I saw them as Death Cult. They only played a handful of shows, one of which was in Bristol. I think it was the Colston Hall. I wasn’t a fan but went along with a couple of mates who were.

Never saw Southern Death Cult, never saw the Cult, but I did see Death Cult and Getting the Fear.

The Proclaimers and The Farm supported The Housemartins when I saw them in the 80s in Cardiff and I never heard of them. My first impressions of the Proclaimers were not good and they took a lot of flak. The Farm were dreadful.

Best support band were the Cardiacs for It bites - which I still consider one of the most surreal and best gigs I ever saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVjSycDJatc

Bonkers

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    The Proclaimers and The Farm supported The Housemartins when I saw them in the 80s in Cardiff and I never heard of them. My first impressions of the Proclaimers were not good and they took a lot of flak. The Farm were dreadful.

Best support band were the Cardiacs for It bites - which I still consider one of the most surreal and best gigs I ever saw

Bonkers
    What have you done to me bin man? I’ve had to go and have a lie down in a darkened room after watching that

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post

Bonkers
    What the feck was that?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    What the feck was that?
    This was their most commercially successful song and they are a source for many bands apparently - I think if you're into Zappa you'll get it - Unfortunately Tim Smith the heart of the band had a heart attack and stroke 10 years ago and the group have now a cult following. Their show had it all, sibling violence, incest, bizarre puppetry but now and then some pretty heavy punk driven tunes like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZaqYkkYK4I

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Oddly enough I saw them as Death Cult. They only played a handful of shows, one of which was in Bristol. I think it was the Colston Hall. I wasn’t a fan but went along with a couple of mates who were.

Never saw Southern Death Cult, never saw the Cult, but I did see Death Cult and Getting the Fear.
    Did you ever see Theatre of Hate or Spear of Destiny?

Did you ever see Theatre of Hate or Spear of Destiny?
    Not the original line-ups. I hated Kirk Brandon with a passion. I was heavily into Killing Joke back then. Most of my mates loved him, however, and used to follow both bands all over the place. They still do - as it happens, two are off to see Spear in Bristol tonight.

I eventually saw Spear of Destiny in Cardiff about six years ago. They were alright I suppose, and in fairness Kirk was good fun afterwards, especially after told him I'd always disliked his bands. As for ToH, I saw them supporting SLF at the Tramshed a few years back. Brandon still tours as ToH, SoD, solo and he even did a few shows with the Pack last year. Not for me, but my mates think he's great.

TLG, Killing Joke

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    TLG, Killing Joke
    One of the greatest guitar sounds in history , TLG doesn't like them because the bassist ran off with his girlfriend

I remember going to see Motorhead on their first tour, but can't recall when it was. I saw them at the Top Rank on Queen Street - me and approximately six other people. I only went because of the Hawkwind connection. Couldn't hear properly for weeks afterwards.

David Bowie

did anyone used to go to the Moon club on the Hayes back in the day?

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    did anyone used to go to the Moon club on the Hayes back in the day?
    Indeed. Crusty hot dogs seem to have been part of the deal on paying the entrance fee. Vile Newcy Brown on offer. Water overflowing from the gents collecting around the six inch high stage that the bands played on. Overflowing bins at the foot of the stairs. Seedy, run-down and seemingly full of people off their heads on drugs. But the bands were terrific.

I saw SPOD in St David’s halll, and Killing Joke in The Union.

Both pretty famous by then though.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    One of the greatest guitar sounds in history , TLG doesn't like them because the bassist ran off with his girlfriend
    The drummer used to live with my wife's best mate. I saw Killing Joke a lot back in the day. Walked all the way from the New Ocean Club to The Ear, Nose and Throat in Ely before finally hitching a ride back to Barry once. Saw them recently and they were very good.