+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bands you saw before they were famous

Bands you saw before they were famous

Radiohead , Oxford the venue , early nineties

They were totally crap and nothings changed

Re: Bands you saw before they were famous

The Spice Girls at the Cardiff festival.
    Not much bottom end then or now.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Radiohead , Oxford the venue , early nineties

They were totally crap and nothings changed
    Radiohead have changed massively since the 90s Sludge! They were a bloody grunge band then, they certainly aren't that now

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Radiohead have changed massively since the 90s Sludge! They were a bloody grunge band then, they certainly aren't that now
    They played creep

They were and are crap

U2 top rank 1981

Kooga Llanharan rugby club,ah wait they never made it big but they should have!!

U2 supporting Talking Heads Hammersmith Palais 1980

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Kooga Llanharan rugby club,ah wait they never made it big but they should have!!
    Your mention of Kooga reminds me that they made a guest appearance in an episode of Lovejoy in 1991. So that’s my memory of seeing them before they were(n’t) famous.

I remember a band in the Bridgend area, I think featuring Stag Marks and others. I forget what they called themselves. They used to use the strapline "catch us now before we're famous". They never made it.

The Pretenders performed at Glam Ely High school before they were famous.
    Best band I saw that never made it, was The Karotts Used to watch them at the Inn on the River in the 80’s
    Last edited by William Treseder; 09-09-19 at 20:51. Reason: Spelling

Roxy Music; Kensington Court Club, Newport.

One that should have been famous but sadly weren't: Good Habit, seen Memorial Hall, Penarth/Barry.

StT.
    <><

UB40, when they were still raw & pre commercial

group that never really made it Sniff & the Tears

Massive in Japan but never really in UK Grim Reaper

Genisis, Man, Focus, Wishbone Ash (OK, didn't really become 'famous')
    All circa 1971-3 Cardiff Uni.
    Sensational Alex Harvey Band did my freshers' ball at uni in 1973

Jess Roden Band in '74 and '75, they should really have become huge, best band I ever saw.

U2 for me too. Portsmouth Guildhall with a few thousand and then 4 years later with 100k at the old Wembley stadium, the year after they did Live Aid

Bobh

Wishbone Ash not famous ??!! Are you mad? Argus was and is a super album and the band itself were innovative, influential, have a huge following to this day and still appear with other bands of that era such as the Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Alan Parsons Project and artists such as Roger Daltrey and Art Garfunkel on rock cruises out of Miami. For the record they were absolutely fantastic when I saw them earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Bobh

Wishbone Ash not famous ??!! Are you mad? Argus was and is a super album and the band itself were innovative, influential, have a huge following to this day and still appear with other bands of that era such as the Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Alan Parsons Project and artists such as Roger Daltrey and Art Garfunkel on rock cruises out of Miami. For the record they were absolutely fantastic when I saw them earlier this year.
    Just going by my experience
    When I mentioned them or put on their album, all I got was "who?"- and that was in the 70s as well as now!

T"Pau at a young farmers barn dance, funnily enough in a farmers barn just outside Builth Wells.
    They were truly terrible.
    She (Carol Decker) couldn"t sing in tune & the band were shocking.
    A couple of months later I heard their song "China in your Hands ?" on Radio 1.
    Pretenders at Top Rank again terrible, Chrissie Hynde as equally bad as Carol Decker.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    The Spice Girls at the Cardiff festival.
    Not much bottom end then or now.
    If my memory serves me right it was a wet day so we waited in the rummer tavern and when the rain eased we dived over to the festival only to see them walking off the stage after finishing their set. The compere said put your hands together for the spice girls and the crowd of 20 gladly obliged.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Bobh

Absolutely correct. Wishbone Ash definitely famous. Totally agree about Argus- an excellent album. I still play it. To think that I bought that album when it was released 47 years ago makes me wonder where the years have gone. Anyway, a really good band

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    U2 for me too. Portsmouth Guildhall with a few thousand and then 4 years later with 100k at the old Wembley stadium, the year after they did Live Aid
    I was at that Pompey gig. I was a student there and it was 1983. It was the War tour - I’d already seen them on the Boy tour and was a huge fan - actually met them for the only time at the stage door that night at the Guildhall and they autographed my programme.They were already pretty famous by then though in my opinion - Guildhall wasn’t a tiny venue for bands back then.

I loved them until Achtung Baby which was the start of them turning to shit for me... reinforced by Zooropa. A could of good tracks in later years but they never recaptured the feel of their first 5 albums.... even Rattle & Hum gave signs of what was coming in my opinion.

As soon as they used their position to infringe on politics that was them done for me

Stiff Little Fingers, supported by a little known Irish band called U2, in 1978.

Also Paper Lace opening up the UK Stock Car Racing championships at Wimbledon Stadium in 1973(?).

Stranglers supporting Man at Folkestone Leas Cliff Hall. And another one for U2 - Aston Uni.

UB40 supporting the Pretenders at the Top Rank in 1980. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club in the back room of a bar in NYC. Oasis in a 100 capacity bar in Philadelphia.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    U2 top rank 1981
    U2 were (at least) moderately famous by 1981. That tour was for their second album.

X Ambassadors

They're alright. Went with a girl I knew in Boston who got us stage-front standing VIP passes.

All I remember is saying that the keyboard guy looked off his face.

He was blind