Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Few more :
    Bad Brains.
    Husku Du.
    Butthole Surfers
    Fishbone

Re: Bands you saw before they were famous

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I've no doubt Wishbone Ash were influential and well-known enough in their heyday, but as I've already said I think famous is pushing it. I'm a fan of plenty of late-Sixties and early-Seventies stuff but I can honestly say I've never heard a track by Wishbone Ash that I'm aware of, and that is genuinely surprising considering I attend a music quiz most Tuesday evenings where my team are considered 'the youngsters' (we're all in our fifties) and all sorts of tracks from that era are played regularly.

I don't think you can put the Zombies in the same category. They had one of the most easily-recognised and regularly-covered hits of their day - a track which still gets regular radio play today. I've definitely heard stuff by them - I have both of their 1960's albums.

Fame is difficult to quantify. For instance, I saw Skunk Anansie play in support of other bands on several occasions before they even had a record deal. Would they qualify as famous? I wouldn't say so, although I guess others would and they did have plenty of hit singles.
    Are there any metal rounds in this quiz

I am happy to help you clear up

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'd say Wishbone Ash were famous enough. I can remember hearing the name when I ws a kid. They had several top 20 albums in the 70s.
    Of course they were famous. Shit, but famous nevertheless. I hated all that lead guitar prog rock bullshit but my afghan coat wearing pals back in the day loved them. Hippies

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Of course they were famous. Shit, but famous nevertheless. I hated all that lead guitar prog rock bullshit but my afghan coat wearing pals back in the day loved them. Hippies
    I just listened to them live in Copenhagen on youtube. Even the cat ****ed off out of the room. Art teacher music.

So you had VIP stage-front passes for a show by a band who weren't famous? How did that work?
    They were supporting mate

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Radiohead , Oxford the venue , early nineties

They were totally crap and nothings changed

Many moons ago I used to play in a band' The Chevrons', well known on the South Wales circuit but never made the big time. Around at the same time was Dave Edmunds.

Also Tommy Scott and the Senators were on the circuit and Tommy later changed his name to Tom Jones.

Some years later working in Crawley my boss had a son Robert Smith who brought his band to play at the office Christmas bash....the band was The Cure ( I worked for a pharmaceutical company so you can see maybe where the name came from).

I saw the Manic Street Preachers on the Radio 1 Roadshow in Barry Island - I don't know if they were famous or not then. It was about 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I just listened to them live in Copenhagen on youtube. Even the cat ****ed off out of the room. Art teacher music.
    Exactly 😂

Saw the Paramounts who later became Procul Harem (at the old Capitol) who accompanied the Beatles. Saw Hawkwind in the old Top Rank who were rubbish and Led Zepelin at the same venue in their infancy.

I am on a 70's group,but the annoying thing is that a guy called Buster keeps posting The SWEET VIDEOS,someone said there must be to Block Buster,poor joke sorry

I'd say Wishbone Ash were famous enough. I can remember hearing the name when I ws a kid. They had several top 20 albums in the 70s.
    I'd agree forerunners , of bands like Lizzy and Iron Maiden , I recall them neing regularly featured in the music papers of the day such as The Sounds,Melody Maker,NME

I saw Depeche Mode play in Cardiff, circa mid-1981. They played in a room called the Function Sweet, which was above the popular Nero's nightclub in Greyfriars. I would estimate that there were probably no more than 150 people crammed into that venue.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Not so much a famous band but I saw Q Tips at Swansea University student union in 1979. Fantastic soul band that paraded Paul Young's voice to the best effect before he hit the over produced ballad trail.
    I saw him fronting the Q Tips at the Top Rank, Cardiff. I can't quite recall who they were supporting, it was probably either Madness, The Beat, Selector... or even Duran Duran!

I concur. At about that time, I had little interest in music, however, I knew of Wishbone Ash.

Wishbone Ash..remember seeing the name loads..but never heard them.

Tom Jones, not a group obviously but he Performed in those days as Tommy Scott and the Senators before he became famous

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    Tom Jones, not a group obviously but he Performed in those days as Tommy Scott and the Senators before he became famous
    Which begs the question, and I really don't want to sound impolite, but... how old are you?

The Sect Maniacs which became Amen Corner played regularly in the Kennard Rooms in Richmond Road.

I can remember an album called "Classic Ash" being released. Someone had written "Classic Ash by Wishbone Ash" on their school bag and I remember thinking the phrasing was clumsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I saw Depeche Mode play in Cardiff, circa mid-1981. They played in a room called the Function Sweet, which was above the popular Nero's nightclub in Greyfriars. I would estimate that there were probably no more than 150 people crammed into that venue.
    I saw quite a few bands there. Including Southern Death Cult, who later morphed into the Cult. So I guess that counts too.

First Team

U2 at college. It was 50p. Attendance - couple of hundred at a max. I still have the ticket somewhere.

I asked my housemates of the time if they wanted to come and their response was "U who?".

I saw quite a few bands there. Including Southern Death Cult, who later morphed into the Cult. So I guess that counts too.
    Southern Death Cult never played the Function Suite. You're thinking of Getting the Fear, which was the rest of Southern Death Cult with a vocalist called Bee. It was after Ian Astbury had left them and formed Death Cult, who then became the Cult.

I was there too. Getting the Fear never became remotely famous. They were rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Which begs the question, and I really don't want to sound impolite, but... how old are you?
    Younger than Tom Jones by about seven years?

Southern Death Cult never played the Function Suite. You're thinking of Getting the Fear, which was the rest of Southern Death Cult with a vocalist called Bee. It was after Ian Astbury had left them and formed Death Cult, who then became the Cult.

I was there too. Getting the Fear never became remotely famous. They were rubbish.

You're right.

It's weird because Getting The Fear have popped into my head from time to time over the years.

Maybe we should start a thread for sets of bands you've seen that share members.

I'll start with. Southern Death Cult, Getting the Fear and the Cult. I never saw Death Cult. Did they even play any shows? All I remember is the EP.

You're right.

It's weird because Getting The Fear have popped into my head from time to time over the years.

Maybe we should start a thread for sets of bands you've seen that share members.

I'll start with. Southern Death Cult, Getting the Fear and the Cult. I never saw Death Cult. Did they even play any shows? All I remember is the EP.