+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How easy is it to get into a new sport?

How easy is it to get into a new sport?

I'm always a bit envious of people who are into multiple sports. Literally all I watch is football, but it would be nice to get into another sport just as much or even marginally as much.

Loads of people were going on about Cricket recently, so let's use that as an example. Has anyone on here just taken up watching a new sport? How did that go for you, and was it easy?

Re: How easy is it to get into a new sport?

F*ck off Baker

Ice Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Ice Hockey
    Ice Hockey is how easy it is to get into a new sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    I'm always a bit envious of people who are into multiple sports. Literally all I watch is football, but it would be nice to get into another sport just as much or even marginally as much.

Loads of people were going on about Cricket recently, so let's use that as an example. Has anyone on here just taken up watching a new sport? How did that go for you, and was it easy?
    Its pretty easy. My daughter has been playing netball for a while and we attended a couple of Celtic Dragons games last season. I only know the basic rules from watching my daughter play but i appreciated the skill on show and the event. Obviously the more you see the more you enjoy.

I have played and followed Cricket all my life and the T20 games are practically nights out and we always take down a good group some are not interested in the game at all.

There needs to a base interest there, otherwise you will go and just be looking at your phone all day, but there are no rules that people need to have a base knowledge to enjoy something, even in football.

Surely you will have played rugby, cricket, tennis as a kid? I doubt they are new sports to many people really. You will know the rules and be able to recognise good play. The only sports that I can say that are truly new to me as an adult are the US sports, and NFL in particular. I’m sure lots of people played madden so the basics would be known, but it does help to watch with someone who knows the sport very well.

Sport is the best theatre that there is. I can’t think of many sports that aren’t capable of serving excellent drama. I could never watch just football and I think there are far better spectator sports, although it is far and away the best sport to play and is so accessible.

Tailor made for Sludge this thread, can’t wait until he catches up with it and absolutely smashes it🤪🤪🤪

I like watching a lot of sport and will watch from one week to another football, rugby league, rugby union, ice hockey, boxing, MMA, cricket and occasionally darts.

The missus isn't overly happy with the amount I watch but then I don't take the pi$$ (much) about her watching hour upon hour of soaps about made up families doing made up things in made up locations so each to their own.

I've watched all live apart from darts but been meaning to get to a Premier League at the CIA at some point as it looks a decent night out but it is more for the night out than a great interest in who wins etc other than Gerwyn Price.

Anyway, if you're branching out then I would look to get a loose grasp of the rules before watching many of the sports mentioned as if it were anything like me you'd come away thinking 'what the hell was that' much in the same way I do when trying to watch NFL, Kabbadi or most of all Aussie Rules.

I'd recommend boxing/MMA and ice hockey as primarily football fan to choose if you're starting off into new sports. Boxing ad MMA as it is two fellas having a tear up and can be as simple or technical as you want it to be. It is also a quality night out live but has an atmosphere that you would expect from an event attended by coach loads of fans, mainly men and many from gyms up and down the country would do.

Ice Hockey would be of interest to you I'm sure in the simple sense that there is two goals, a puck replacing the ball and is very fast and entertaining.

For me, sadly football has lost a lot of what made it appeal to many over the years and a lot of lads have dropped off (Too pricey/Not what is once was/I've not been down since we sold Toshack) for many reasons. Many of them are now playing/watching other sports to fill the void. One thing is for sure, I would fill that Saturday void with anything before it is replaced with the war of attrition that is the marathon shopping trip with the missus where she seems to try everything on from every shop only to return to the first one as it was the best item she had found. Balls to that.

Has anyone on here just taken up watching a new sport? How did that go for you, and was it easy?
    Yep, just turn the telly on

I'm a glory sports fan. I'll watch the big ones for a bunch of sports. I love a big boxing match and I got well into the cricket. Just jump on the hype train for Joshua vs Ruiz for example, read about it and by the time it comes around you'll be talking like you invented the sport

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'm a glory sports fan. I'll watch the big ones for a bunch of sports. I love a big boxing match and I got well into the cricket. Just jump on the hype train for Joshua vs Ruiz for example, read about it and by the time it comes around you'll be talking like you invented the sport
    Rugby World Cup coming up, this might, just might, bring a few tactical masterminds out. Blokes who’ve never been able to run for a bus will be screaming advice to the telly, always amuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Rugby World Cup coming up, this might, just might, bring a few tactical masterminds out. Blokes who’ve never been able to run for a bus will be screaming advice to the telly, always amuses me.
    So very different to the football, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    So very different to the football, of course
    Quite correct, the football ‘experts’ scream the advice for the whole nine month season while the rugby experts will wait until February next year before picking up the baton again.

I rarely ever watched other sports when I lived in the UK. I watch American football now and baseball. I really like them both, but I don't know whether I would have got into them as much if there had been more football on TV when I first moved here. I suspect I would though. I can just about tolerate ice hockey and I can't stand basketball.

Try bog snorkelling.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I rarely ever watched other sports when I lived in the UK. I watch American football now and baseball. I really like them both, but I don't know whether I would have got into them as much if there had been more football on TV when I first moved here. I suspect I would though. I can just about tolerate ice hockey and I can't stand basketball.
    What was your knowledge of football and baseball like before you started watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Surely you will have played rugby, cricket, tennis as a kid? I doubt they are new sports to many people really. You will know the rules and be able to recognise good play.
    A good point, yes. But I think the reason I enjoy football so much is because I lived and breathed it as a kid and growing up. The decent knowledge I have of football is why I love it so much. I just find it hard to be into a sport like Cricket (even if I have a small grasp of the rules) and feel like I've missed out on 15-20 years of it that I can't relate to.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    When I lived out in the States I watched the Red Sox play a few times, the Yankess a couple and went to watch the Royals once. I really enjoyed watching it live. But when it came to talking about it to people, that was another kettle of fish. I find it hard to like a sport if I can't discuss it properly afterwards, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I don't know if you're being serious but this is me with boxing. A big fight comes round and all of a sudden I'm Mickey Goldmill.

A good point, yes. But I think the reason I enjoy football so much is because I lived and breathed it as a kid and growing up. The decent knowledge I have of football is why I love it so much. I just find it hard to be into a sport like Cricket (even if I have a small grasp of the rules) and feel like I've missed out on 15-20 years of it that I can't relate to.
    Don't be daft. If you don't like cricket then you don't like it. If you want to start to like it then watch it. Or, even better, play it. Don't worry that you missed the 2005 Ashes or whatever. This summer has had two "I remember where I was when..." moments alone and there will be more to come, so get involved before they happen. I watch test matches and the occasional 20:20 so I don't pretend to know very much but it doesn't matter. You don't need to be an expert. Frankly it's impossible with some sports. Cricket is like a day job, as is baseball.

Got any friends who like cricket? You can't really go wrong, it's cheap to go to (county cricket in particular) and at worst you end up having a few beers in the late summer sun with your mates. You don't need to score the match or even watch all of it. It's a great day out, especially a close one day match.

Ice Hockey is how easy it is to get into a new sport?
    Yes.
    Go see the Devils once. You’ll see what I mean.

Cardiff City are alright, but we don't watch them because of the football. It's about something else.

I suppose it's the same with all other sports fans.

I can watch darts all night long...and snooker.

I can't watch cricket or Formula 1.

You'll find something.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Its pretty easy. My daughter has been playing netball for a while and we attended a couple of Celtic Dragons games last season. I only know the basic rules from watching my daughter play but i appreciated the skill on show and the event. Obviously the more you see the more you enjoy.
    Going to Agree with Netball, Its end to end stuff and a team can be down by 6 and it turn around so quickly

We saw a fair few Team Bath games last year, as my daughter plays for them and we have got to know a few of the players, infact last weekend we purchased Season tickets for the this season on the weekend, 2 adult and 2 U16 for £350 , not too bad imho

Rules are fairly easy to pick up, though i watch 3 or 4 games / training sessions a week, so i should have picked it up by now

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Yes.
    Go see the Devils once. You’ll see what I mean.
    I have to be fair mate - its wicked!