+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How easy is it to get into a new sport?

Re: How easy is it to get into a new sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    What was your knowledge of football and baseball like before you started watching?
    Zero.

But my interest in baseball was piqued by seeing a documentary about the Brooklyn Dodgers. And American football is very hard to ignore in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    When I lived out in the States I watched the Red Sox play a few times, the Yankess a couple and went to watch the Royals once. I really enjoyed watching it live. But when it came to talking about it to people, that was another kettle of fish. I find it hard to like a sport if I can't discuss it properly afterwards, you know?
    Like most sports, with the aid of running commentary, it's much easier to learn about it on TV. This is especially so in Baseball where every part of play is previewed and reviewed. It won't take you long to understand what "here comes the oh-two pitch" means.

I took up playing American football, I think it was about 1988. At that time, Channel 4 had started to screen NFL games, hosted by Mick Luckhurst. Understanding the rules to watch the game on TV is one thing, but knowing them to the extent that you can play the game without being flagged for everything you did, is another!
    There was also the problem of getting the kit - you couldn't just walk into Giles Sports and pick it up. On that front, we had to go to, perhaps surprisingly, Talbot Green. The owner of the rather small sports shop had obviously foreseen a niche market and stocked a rather good selection of American football gear.

The cost was another factor why it made it difficult to get into, for example: a Riddell helmet back then would set you back £120, my shoulder pads alone were £145 and a pair of white Roos boots (not really necessary: hehe:) were £70... a lot of money back then!
    There were many factors why this WASN'T an easy sport to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Zero.

But my interest in baseball was piqued by seeing a documentary about the Brooklyn Dodgers. And American football is very hard to ignore in this country.
    The challenge with North American sports for the UK fan is obviously the time difference but the NFL I think offers the best chance of immersing. I’d recommend you joined an NFL fantasy draft league somehow. You’ll get hooked pretty quickly although I must agree that half the fun is the day to day banter around it. It’s only a 20 week season as well but for 16 weeks it kills any family time on a Sunday🤣.

In the US NFL is the same social currency as football is in the UK but in Canada it’s all about Hockey - my sports news programmes are wall to wall hockey and 70% of that is the Leafs. You have to understand it to survive with like minded people.

Fortunately I’ve got to love all of the sports over the last 10 years - basketball was maybe toughest but The Raptors won the NBA title this year so was difficult to avoid 2 million people on the streets of Toronto.... you sort of got carried on the emotional tide

I don't know if you're being serious but this is me with boxing. A big fight comes round and all of a sudden I'm Mickey Goldmill.
    I am being serious. I love a big fight, and watching one with a bunch of mates is almost as enjoyable as watching a big footie match for me

Zero.

I never watch American football but I LOVE an American Football documentary - Last Chance U, QB Beyond the lights, I lap them up. The drama of it just fascinates me but the slowness of watching a whole game means the actual sport has never grasped me (so far)

International

I got hooked on American football from watching it on TV when I was young. I'm still hooked on it. My team has always been The Dolphins.

Don't be daft. If you don't like cricket then you don't like it. If you want to start to like it then watch it. Or, even better, play it. Don't worry that you missed the 2005 Ashes or whatever. This summer has had two "I remember where I was when..." moments alone and there will be more to come, so get involved before they happen. I watch test matches and the occasional 20:20 so I don't pretend to know very much but it doesn't matter. You don't need to be an expert. Frankly it's impossible with some sports. Cricket is like a day job, as is baseball.

Got any friends who like cricket? You can't really go wrong, it's cheap to go to (county cricket in particular) and at worst you end up having a few beers in the late summer sun with your mates. You don't need to score the match or even watch all of it. It's a great day out, especially a close one day match.
    As ON says, next summer just go watch the Hundred or the t20s in Cardiff. It's pretty cheap, it's on a Thursday/Friday night and you can have a few beers watching. Worst case scenario, you have a few beers on a nice summer's evening with a sport being played in front of you! T20 is a great gateway into cricket and it's other (and in my opinion, better, forms). Test cricket isn't for everyone but in my opinion, when it's good there's nothing else that comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I never watch American football but I LOVE an American Football documentary - Last Chance U, QB Beyond the lights, I lap them up. The drama of it just fascinates me but the slowness of watching a whole game means the actual sport has never grasped me (so far)
    Watch redzone if you think football is slow. It's like the Jeff stelling 3pm show, but they actually cut to and stay with live games when a team is likely to score (you just watch the games, there are no visible presenters). It's far from slow as you are following all the games at the same time. And watching a real game is not that slow normally, first half in particular. The drama of a real game can be incredible- the Minneapolis miracle and the patriots recovery in the super bowl a few years ago are two games that were just amazing to watch.

I quite like the BBC coverage too and is set at an audience with a limited understanding which suits me fine, so give that a go too.

I personally find NFL to be the best spectator sport for the neutral, there is just so much to enjoy about it. Or watch one of the Amazon documentaries where they follow a team for a season. The cardinals one about 4 years ago was great and it will mean you will at least know something about some of the players in the league.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by length View Post
    Cardiff City are alright, but we don't watch them because of the football. It's about something else.
    IMO It’s one of the most interesting and deeply philosophical comments I have ever read on this MB

It answers a lot of long term questions and poses a hundred more

Im going for a lay down now

Watch redzone if you think football is slow. It's like the Jeff stelling 3pm show, but they actually cut to and stay with live games when a team is likely to score (you just watch the games, there are no visible presenters). It's far from slow as you are following all the games at the same time. And watching a real game is not that slow normally, first half in particular. The drama of a real game can be incredible- the Minneapolis miracle and the patriots recovery in the super bowl a few years ago are two games that were just amazing to watch.

I quite like the BBC coverage too and is set at an audience with a limited understanding which suits me fine, so give that a go too.

I personally find NFL to be the best spectator sport for the neutral, there is just so much to enjoy about it. Or watch one of the Amazon documentaries where they follow a team for a season. The cardinals one about 4 years ago was great and it will mean you will at least know something about some of the players in the league.
    Both Redzone and that documentary sound right up my street, cheers mate

Both Redzone and that documentary sound right up my street, cheers mate
    There are 4 of them on Prime. All Or Nothing is what you’re looking for.

The most current is the Carolina Panthers who they followed all of last season - you’ll either love or hate Cam Newton.

Arizona Cardinals one is probably the best but it’s a bit old now

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    There are 4 of them on Prime. All Or Nothing is what you’re looking for.

The most current is the Carolina Panthers who they followed all of last season - you’ll either love or hate Cam Newton.

Arizona Cardinals one is probably the best but it’s a bit old now
    Yeah, the quality of the documentary follows the quality of the season which made the cardinals one. Newton is a tit and the panthers were shite which ruined that one.

There was one that followed, I think, the rams a while ago. They showed case keenum being traded. He came across as a really decent guy which made me realise(or believe) that some NFL players aren't like the stereotype loud wanker. In fact if you look at some quarterbacks (brees, luck until he retired etc) you probably wouldn't even think they are professional sportsmen. These documentaries paint the players in a favourable light but nevertheless some of them seem decent in a way that footballers don't

Cardiff City are alright, but we don't watch them because of the football. It's about something else.

I suppose it's the same with all other sports fans.
    Aliens? 👽

If you haven't already, I can tell Friday Night Lights is so up your street. (I've watched it through twice). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758745/

If you haven't already, I can tell Friday Night Lights is so up your street. (I've watched it through twice). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758745/
    Will check it out

Cardiff City are alright, but we don't watch them because of the football. .
    Thats because there is no actual football to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    IMO It’s one of the most interesting and deeply philosophical comments I have ever read on this MB

It answers a lot of long term questions and poses a hundred more

Im going for a lay down now
    agree. So much said in so few words. Profound.

Will check it out
    If you ever get round to watching it, drop me a PM just so I can see if you enjoyed it or not!

I've watched it at least 3 times. Excellent.

I've watched it at least 3 times. Excellent.
    So good isn't it! Perfect mixture of sport drama, great character development and genuinely gripping storylines.

Its one of those series that if you aren't gripped after the 1st episode then you never will be

If you ever get round to watching it, drop me a PM just so I can see if you enjoyed it or not!
    will do

will do

will do
    Also: Lyla or Tyra?

Also: Lyla or Tyra?
    Lyla all day every bloody day for me.