I like watching a lot of sport and will watch from one week to another football, rugby league, rugby union, ice hockey, boxing, MMA, cricket and occasionally darts.

The missus isn't overly happy with the amount I watch but then I don't take the pi$$ (much) about her watching hour upon hour of soaps about made up families doing made up things in made up locations so each to their own.

I've watched all live apart from darts but been meaning to get to a Premier League at the CIA at some point as it looks a decent night out but it is more for the night out than a great interest in who wins etc other than Gerwyn Price.

Anyway, if you're branching out then I would look to get a loose grasp of the rules before watching many of the sports mentioned as if it were anything like me you'd come away thinking 'what the hell was that' much in the same way I do when trying to watch NFL, Kabbadi or most of all Aussie Rules.

I'd recommend boxing/MMA and ice hockey as primarily football fan to choose if you're starting off into new sports. Boxing ad MMA as it is two fellas having a tear up and can be as simple or technical as you want it to be. It is also a quality night out live but has an atmosphere that you would expect from an event attended by coach loads of fans, mainly men and many from gyms up and down the country would do.

Ice Hockey would be of interest to you I'm sure in the simple sense that there is two goals, a puck replacing the ball and is very fast and entertaining.

For me, sadly football has lost a lot of what made it appeal to many over the years and a lot of lads have dropped off (Too pricey/Not what is once was/I've not been down since we sold Toshack) for many reasons. Many of them are now playing/watching other sports to fill the void. One thing is for sure, I would fill that Saturday void with anything before it is replaced with the war of attrition that is the marathon shopping trip with the missus where she seems to try everything on from every shop only to return to the first one as it was the best item she had found. Balls to that.