Got some kind of award from theresa may

Fecker was born in Barnsley yet supports Man United

What a proud Yorkshireman

What a ****
    Sounds like most of Wales with its Man U and Liverpool associations

Re: Geoff Boycott

Wife beating prick

For purely cricket reasons it is well deserved. Why Andrew Strauss has got one is way beyond my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    For purely cricket reasons it is well deserved. Why Andrew Strauss has got one is way beyond my understanding.
    Yeah i mean, he only captained England 50 times, led them to the number 1 team in the world in tests, won 2 ashes series as captain and was the last England captain to win the Ashes away.

After he stopped playing he was the director of Cricket for England and put much of the structure in place that led to England winning the world cup, only leaving the role after his wife contracted a rare form of cancer.

After being left with 2 young son Strauss set up the Ruth Strauss foundation raising awareness and funds for Cancer,starting with a very successful day at Lords against Ireland.

but apart from that he has achieved next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Yeah i mean, he only captained England 50 times, led them to the number 1 team in the world in tests, won 2 ashes series as captain and was the last England captain to win the Ashes away.

After he stopped playing he was the director of Cricket for England and put much of the structure in place that led to England winning the world cup, only leaving the role after his wife contracted a rare form of cancer.

After being left with 2 young son Strauss set up the Ruth Strauss foundation raising awareness and funds for Cancer,starting with a very successful day at Lords against Ireland.

You're replying to a guy that seems to think that someone can deserve a knighthood for being very good at cricket, which overrules the fact that he held his wife down and hit her 20 times in the face. I wouldn't worry too much.

I thought it was England and Wales?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I thought it was England and Wales?
    No the team is England, the board is the England and Wales Cricket Board.

Wales play in the minor counties league, surprisingly the people who bleat about there not being a welsh team, don't bother supporting them.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You're replying to a guy that seems to think that someone can deserve a knighthood for being very good at cricket, which overrules the fact that he held his wife down and hit her 20 times in the face. I wouldn't worry too much.
    The evidence suggests she made the story up.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...buse-case.html

No the team is England, the board is the England and Wales Cricket Board.

Wales play in the minor counties league, surprisingly the people who bleat about there not being a welsh team, don't bother supporting them.
    I keep getting told it's England and Wales, and that's why they play in Cardiff sometimes. Clearly I'm misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I keep getting told it's England and Wales, and that's why they play in Cardiff sometimes. Clearly I'm misinformed.
    You should read the post the team is England and that is the representative team of the England and Wales cricket board.

People can support who they like, whether that be England, Wales, Glamorgan or even Cardiff.

We're all allowed an opinion. I don't remember Illingworth getting a knighthood for winning out in Australia back in 1970, nor Gatting in 86. Brearley was captain of England in arguably the greatest series ever back in 1981 without receiving one. Maybe it's a case that they are dished out far more easily today.

Strauss was a very good test match player but will never be remembered as a great. And if he is accepting the glory for the world cup win, than he must also be responsible for the demise of the test team and the feeder county championship.

I truly feel sympathy for him for the tragic loss of his wife, and being left with two young sons. The foundation he has set up is a fantastic memorial, but it's only been in existence for 12 weeks. I really hope it flourishes just like Glen McGraths in Australia. As I said its just my opinion, but I don't think his cricket career warrants a knighthood, when so many better players in previous generations never received one.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    The evidence suggests she made the story up.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...buse-case.html
    I'm going to choose to ignore this because it doesn't fit in with my argument

We're all allowed an opinion. I don't remember Illingworth getting a knighthood for winning out in Australia back in 1970, nor Gatting in 86. Brearley was captain of England in arguably the greatest series ever back in 1981 without receiving one. Maybe it's a case that they are dished out far more easily today.

Strauss was a very good test match player but will never be remembered as a great. And if he is accepting the glory for the world cup win, than he must also be responsible for the demise of the test team and the feeder county championship.

I truly feel sympathy for him for the tragic loss of his wife, and being left with two young sons. The foundation he has set up is a fantastic memorial, but it's only been in existence for 12 weeks. I really hope it flourishes just like Glen McGraths in Australia. As I said its just my opinion, but I don't think his cricket career warrants a knighthood, when so many better players in previous generations never received one.
    I think with his playing record, his work as an administrator, and his charity work came as a favorable package. Also the fact that he is a conservative supporter and was rumored to run as a candidate for them would have helped the recommendation.

He wasnt my favorite player. He was never a fans favorite. However with all his achievements listed the comment 'Why Andrew Strauss has got one is way beyond my understanding', seems strange.

If anything, I'd say Strauss' knighthood has more to with what he has done since he stopped playing - if he had retired,gone off to live with his family and barely been heard of again, then I agree that what he did while playing cricket probably doesn't merit such an honour. Then again, I don't think what Geoff Boycott did while playing the game does either. He owes his honour to his transformation into a "national treasure" on TMS, but I'm old enough to have seen the real Boycott in action. Even if he is innocent of the charge of hitting a woman, what I saw one day at Sophia Gardens in the 70s confirmed that there is at least some truth to the legions of stories out there about him being a self centred boor - telling school children to f**k off when you're asked for autograph is not behaviour you'd expect from a Knight of the Realm.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'm going to choose to ignore this because it doesn't fit in with my argument
    The evidence didn't suggest it at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/...cket.jonhenley

"The Medical Evidence is damning" Have you seen a photo of her face after it?

Boycott is the most cricketer recall and a bore. Horrible man. Says it all that May thought it appropriate for him to be knighted. Even now when she is longer PM she still manages to **** up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Boycott is the most cricketer recall and a bore. Horrible man. Says it all that May thought it appropriate for him to be knighted. Even now when she is longer PM she still manages to **** up.
    Not a team player, very ‘me,me,me’. Very often talk in his day that team mates attempted to get him run out to hurry play up. Always came across as an extremely awkward man, I’d imagine he’s had a few barneys in his time.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Not a team player, very ‘me,me,me’. Very often talk in his day that team mates attempted to get him run out to hurry play up. Always came across as an extremely awkward man, I’d imagine he’s had a few barneys in his time.
    I missed the word selfish from my post. Deeply unpleasant and self obsessed. Says it all about the emotionally retarded May that she thought it appropriate to honour him.

Listening to him on the radio,I have to remind myself that he’s not a comical figure created by some comedian.
    He really is an arrogant, self centred, sexist, Yorkshire **** .

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Listening to him on the radio,I have to remind myself that he’s not a comical figure created by some comedian.
    He really is an arrogant, self centred, sexist, Yorkshire **** .
    Does he remind you of someone?

First half that is his job and he's been recognised enough within the sporting community. The second half of that is a really sad story and then him raising a lot of money and awareness for people in need and well deserving of extra recognition.

These awards are so political now, both how you get selected and then for some people declining the option of receiving it, that they should nearly scrap the whole thing and now only give it as a recognition for charity/humanitarian work.

‘It was 25 years ago, love. I don’t give a toss’: Geoffrey Boycott defends himself over domestic violence conviction.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9098691.html

A knight of the realm mind

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    ‘It was 25 years ago, love. I don’t give a toss’: Geoffrey Boycott defends himself over domestic violence conviction.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9098691.html

A knight of the realm mind
    There’ll be princes knocking about with paedophiles next.........oh, hang on.