+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FT: DERBY COUNTY 1 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: DERBY COUNTY 1 - 1 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Totally agree Rich Munn. You have to respect NW for what he has achieved but I feel the time is right for the club to move forward. Yes, we did well to get promoted in the first place and by no means disgraced ourselves in the Prem but I HATE the fact that my team is synonymous with playing 'non-football'. Yes I've heard all the arguments that there is more than one way to play football and this is true but boy our way is so soul destroying.

Well for all the negativity, I quite enjoyed the game and thought we played pretty well.

Don’t get this overnight fuss about our football. I just think negatively breeds negativity

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    I think that the opinions expressed on here, after what those who did not see it would say was a very good away point at Derby, are significant. (If messageboards could ever be said to be significant!)

A player like Paterson disrupted some Premier League teams because they didn't know what to do with him. He had impact. In the cHampionship he has no impact. No first touch, little skill and no threat.

Warnock has lost Murphy and vice-versa.

Ralls is head and shoulders above any other player in terms of skill and vision, which speaks volumes.

I keep hoping to see a 2-seasons ago run, but I can't see it. We are at best mid-table. We need a change at the helm at some point soon. And I love and respect Warnock and what he has done for our club, but sometimes you just feel an era is drawing to an end.

Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Totally agree Rich Munn. You have to respect NW for what he has achieved but I feel the time is right for the club to move forward. Yes, we did well to get promoted in the first place and by no means disgraced ourselves in the Prem but I HATE the fact that my team is synonymous with playing 'non-football'. Yes I've heard all the arguments that there is more than one way to play football and this is true but boy our way is so soul destroying.
    Sky pundits before the game were suggesting that you need to have more than one game in order to win promotion. You need more tactical nous, different plans for different teams. It seems that we have the same plan week in week out. Other teams are wise to it. They were less so 2 years ago when we were playing better football.

Anyone else noticed that we rarely restart well after half-time?

That purple patch when we destroyed Villa, Wolves and Sheff Utd in the same week seems a distant memory but that is the standard we should be aspiring to on a regular basis. Dynamic, powerful and not lacking in skill. We have gone backwards a lot since then but this is not negativity it's realism. As long as we persist hitting balls in the general direction of one of our own players, we will not give ourselves a chance of taking control of games. Funnily enough, I think that we have the nucleus of a very strong team but sadly the coaching/managerial set up does not give these players a chance to prosper. Yes, a point tonight seems ok on paper but anyone who thinks that the performance was anything other than mediocre is seriously deluding themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Sky pundits before the game were suggesting that you need to have more than one game in order to win promotion. You need more tactical nous, different plans for different teams. It seems that we have the same plan week in week out. Other teams are wise to it. They were less so 2 years ago when we were playing better football.
    Sky will be trying to revise their schedule to remove any future games involving us. I’m ok watching is now matter how we play because it’s us, but the armchair viewer should be demanding a reduced subscription

Yesterday left a sour taste tbh. But the good news is that both Etheridge and Bamba are now back in training. Whyte and Patterson need a run in the U23s to build up confidence and stamina respectively. Maybe Pack will be back soon and we can drop Bacuna.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    A guest on this forum could be forgiven for thinking that this was the Derby site.

Get real. Lost one league game out of 6.
    A point away, even if it wasn't to a fancied Derby side who are bending the financial fair play rules to breaking point, is a decent point no matter how it was achieved even though we actually played some half decent stuff on the floor at times.

Our lack of possession, even though some pour cold water on it, must be very frustrating to our front players constantly chasing and making many unfruitful runs but to their credit, they were still battling and I haven't given up hope on Glatzel yet as some have.

It's clear to me that there are many on here are armchair experts who have played very little football in their lives and wouldn't know how to tackle a good dinner!
    Sometimes it ain't pretty you have to dog it out.
    Some would argue that is what we have been doing all season and have strong points but being realistic, most would have taken a point tonight before the game had started.

By the way, some seem to have forgotten we were awful to watch in our promotion season under M Mackay. Our 10 home wins were definitely not for the purist.

Up the City!!!
    But that applies to every game with us - in what match this season has it not applied?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    It is definitely right to say there is more than one way to play football and a lot of sides prove that every time they play, but we're playing as if there isn't - we made life easy for Fulham after they went down to ten men because we couldn't adapt our game.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    A guest on this forum could be forgiven for thinking that this was the Derby site.

Get real. Lost one league game out of 6.
    A point away, even if it wasn't to a fancied Derby side who are bending the financial fair play rules to breaking point, is a decent point no matter how it was achieved even though we actually played some half decent stuff on the floor at times.

Our lack of possession, even though some pour cold water on it, must be very frustrating to our front players constantly chasing and making many unfruitful runs but to their credit, they were still battling and I haven't given up hope on Glatzel yet as some have.

It's clear to me that there are many on here are armchair experts who have played very little football in their lives and wouldn't know how to tackle a good dinner!
    Sometimes it ain't pretty you have to dog it out.
    Some would argue that is what we have been doing all season and have strong points but being realistic, most would have taken a point tonight before the game had started.

By the way, some seem to have forgotten we were awful to watch in our promotion season under M Mackay. Our 10 home wins were definitely not for the purist.

Up the City!!!
    You sound just like Warnock. Yes, perhaps many would have settled for a point BEFORE the game, however, as the game unravels and you can see that the opposition are 'not all that' and sense they're there for the taking, you up your game and perhaps adapt it to a more positive aproach. But no, not us!

Absolutely awful to watch, well done to those who paid a coach fare, the ticket price, and gave the time, two very poor quality teams. Might be a good point at the end of the season.

Awful display.We won't go down becuase there are better quality players returning from injury but this season won't be fun.

Both managers spoke of a specific incident that they felt should have been dealt with better by the officials. Phillip Cocu the decision not to award Martyn Waghorn a penalty and Neil Warnock a poor challenge on Sean Morrison by Tom Lawrence.

Phillip Cocu: "We started well, a lot of energy in the team. We tried to get the ball down and play but they have a completely different style of play, which is not my style. For me, the key moment of the game is the foul of Waghorn.

"Normally, I think it's a penalty, you go 2-0 up and the game is done. These things can be decisive at the end of the game. We had some good opportunities to score in the second half, but just couldn't. That's part of the game, but these key moments are decisive to us, not to get the victory we deserved."

C:WindowsTempphp7A6C.tmp

Neil Warnock: "It was a decent game and we had opportunities, but the one disappointment for me is that the referee didn't give a red card for the tackle [by Tom Lawrence] against Morrison. They are the ones that are done cheekily and they should be punished.

"We knew that we'd have to weather than first 15 minutes but I thought we grew into the game then and, on another night, I think we could have got the points."

C:WindowsTempphp9924.tmp

Cardiff City came away from Pride park with a point after a game that won't last long in the memory.

Neil Warnock would have named an unchanged side but for a whiplash injury to Lee Tomlin after a minor car crash. Callum Patterson started instead.

The stadium had to be evacuated half an hour before kick off after the fire alarms were set off by reported flares on the away concourse. The situation was quickly resolved the match started on time.

C:WindowsTempphp1061.tmp
    Glatzel scores his first Cardiff goal

It took six minutes for Derby to take the lead after a goalmouth scramble that saw at least five chances for Cardiff to clear before former Bluebird Scott Malone finished from a yard or so out. There was a handball from Martyn Waghorn in the build up that should have seen the goal disallowed but it was missed and Derby were 1 up.

If Derby got away with that one Cardiff got away with one of their own when Waghorn was clipped on the ankle by Joe Bennett but the referee waved away any penalty appeals. Moments later at the other end Robert Glatzel caught out Richard Keogh and got goalside of the Derby defender who was left with no choice but to foul the German striker close to goal.

Glatzel took the ball and emphatically scored the penalty for his first Cardiff goal. The game was 1 - 1 with 20 minutes played and that's how it stayed.

Neither side showed enough quality to get a winner although Jack Marriot saw a superb shot cannon back off the crossbar.

Junior Hoilett dragged a late shot wide for City before a last minute free kick from Derby's Chris Martin (to distinguish him from Coldplay's Chris Martin) was blocked and that signalled the end of the game.

For Derby that's a sixth game without a win, their only success this season came on the opening day. For Cardiff it's a fourth game without defeat but the last three have been draws.

After 50 games without a score draw we've now had two in two games.

Next up it's a rare Saturday 3pm home game when Middlesbrough come to the capital.

Derby County: Roos, Lowe, Clarke, Keogh, Malone; Huddlestone, Bielik, Holmes (Jozefzoon 81'); Waghorn, Marriot (Martin 85'),

Subs: Hamer, Paterson, Dowell, Davies, Knight

Cardiff City: Smithies; Peltier, Morrison, Flint, Bennett; Bacuna, Ralls; Whyte (Mendez-Laing 60'), Paterson, Murphy (Hoilett 60'); Glatzel (Bogle 89')

Subs: Day, Vaulks, Vassell, Nelson

Referee: Darren England

Attendance: 25,873 (1,441)