+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation Yellowhammer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Operation Yellowhammer

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The trouble is in your mind, and others like you.
    Nobody is saying it’s gonna be smooth sailing. A big change is always gonna have teething problems, and some will suffer more than others while we get used to it, but that’s happened since time began.
    But at least you're happy for people to suffer. What benefit do they get for their suffering?

John Humphries on Radio 4 this morning said that the revelations of Operation Yellowhammer were akin to a disaster movie where the supermarket shelves start to empty and panic sets in, leading to looting and rioting etc. I do wonder if this isn't just in the realms of movie making. I believe modern Western civilisation has only a thin veneer of "civility" which would quickly vanish in such a scenario.

We (and I include myself in this as a baby-boomer) are the post-war spoilt generations. We have no concept of shortages of the basic necessities of life unlike my parents who lived through WW2 (I can just remember sweet rationing finishing in the early 50's). Look at what happened in the Bahamas recently after the hurricane - armed gangs looting whatever they could scavenge. I'm pretty sure they were not doing this in order to share with their neighbours!

Yet another panic merchant. Feared of the day you’ve never seen.
    Just as the UK were pioneers in inventing the telephone, television etc, we will prove to be pioneers in escaping the clutches of a debt ridden, power hungry all consuming “club for the boys’, called the EU. We’ll be the 1st to leave, but we won’t be the last.
    it’s the blitz spirit lads!

This is the base case, if you’re happy for people to die for the U.K. to be in a situation which so far has zero discernable benefits fair enough.

This is what will happen if we get no deal. There is no panicking about it and it’s why it’s important that we get a deal.

No one at the time voted for a no deal and anyone saying they did is a liar.

But hey at least hedge funds directly related to boris johnson have placed £8.3bn on a no deal Brexit happening.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post

This is the base case, if you’re happy for people to die for the U.K. to be in a situation which so far has zero discernable benefits fair enough.

This is what will happen if we get no deal. There is no panicking about it and it’s why it’s important that we get a deal.

But hey at least hedge funds directly related to boris johnson have placed £8.3bn on a no deal Brexit happening.

I voted for no deal if you want to put it that way, and I'm not a liar.
    Any deal or otherwise was a thing which would obviously follow Brexit ,but it was not on the ballot paper and it wasn't an issue.

It's still not, except as another trick by the elite minority to stop Brexit.

It's about national sovereignty and history, including the wartime sacrifices which you make fun of there. However, the whole EU project is faulted for many reasons and the British public have voted to leave it, so in the end democracy will prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Dominic Cummings lives in a £1.6m London townhouse, with a tapestry room; while he and his mates have put short options of £11bn on a no deal brexit but yes, everyone else is the elite.

You did nothing of the sort. It wasn't an option on the ballot paper.

Any deal or otherwise was a thing which would obviously follow Brexit ,but it was not on the ballot paper and it wasn't an issue.

It's about national sovereignty and history, including the wartime sacrifices which you make fun of there. However, the whole EU project is faulted for many reasons and the British public have voted to leave it, so in the end democracy will prevail.
    This couldn't be more wrong.

You didn't vote for no deal. The leave campaigns were other based on us getting a nice deal with no trouble (Norway, Canada, we had many to choose from).

Anyone who says "I'm not a liar" is a liar, I'm afraid.

So, given that we have never lost national sovereignty, you still haven't given that one upside of Brexit.
    I would love to hear just one tangible benefit of Brexit, it doesn't have to be no-deal Brexit, it doesn't even have to offset all the negatives of Brexit, just one little positive.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    So, given that we have never lost national sovereignty, you still haven't given that one upside of Brexit.
    I would love to hear just one tangible benefit of Brexit, it doesn't have to be no-deal Brexit, it doesn't even have to offset all the negatives of Brexit, just one little positive.
    We might get stamps in our passports when we go to the continent again, which always looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    We might get stamps in our blue passports when we go to the continent again, which always looks cool.
    Thanks Nick, I have corrected it for you.

The trouble is in your mind, and others like you.
    Nobody is saying it’s gonna be smooth sailing. A big change is always gonna have teething problems, and some will suffer more than others while we get used to it, but that’s happened since time began.
    What are the benefits that will offset this then?

What will the country gain from a no deal Brexit?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Government has to plan for worst case scenarios. It already has procedures in place for every natural disaster you could think of also.

We're British, at worst we will form an orderly queue to get a single loaf of bread, no two for one deals for a while and maybe some organised pavement shuffling by remain and leave debating teams.

Let project fear commence.
    If no deal happens this isn’t project fear this is reality mate.

We are Britain and the actual case is people who rely on certain drugs will die because we can’t get them.

The U.K. imports 99.7% of its insulin. If you are happy for people who have something simple like diabetes to die fair enough.

But I hope you can tell me something positive that will come from this to offset people literally dying?

If no deal happens this isn’t project fear this is reality mate.

We are Britain and the actual case is people who rely on certain drugs will die because we can’t get them.

The U.K. imports 99.7% of its insulin. If you are happy for people who have something simple like diabetes to die fair enough.

But I hope you can tell me something positive that will come from this to offset people literally dying?
    ..............and you think the Danish pharmaceuticals firm Novo Nordisk, and Sanofi, based in France, will allow themselves to go to the wall because they cannot export to the UK. WE buy..... they sell.....stop scaremongering.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    ..............and you think the Danish pharmaceuticals firm Novo Nordisk, and Sanofi, based in France, will allow themselves to go to the wall because they cannot export to the UK. WE buy..... they sell.....stop scaremongering.
    I'm not scaremongering mate it's facts. There's no want about it, you can't trade without a deal no matter how much they want to.

Also do you know what percentage of business the UK makes up of thesepharmaceuticals? Have a look in the yellowhammer document about the effect on the EU.

Nobody denies that EU exporters won't be too happy about it but:

1) it doesn't mean they cannot export - it's a matter of timing and delays as much as anything else. But those delays can literally kill the people waiting
    2) even if they couldn't export to the UK (which they can), it doesn't mean they would go bust
    3) regardless of their commercial interests, they are not actually in charge of the EU's policy on Brexit so the fact that they won't like it doesn't actually mean it won't happen.

I genuinely think that people are underestimating the scale of disruption that this is going to cause to supply chains.

EDIT: just realised you might be thinking of the ban in teh other direction i.e. on exports from the UK. I think that is a possibility in an attempt to maintain medicine levels in the UK because of problems with imports and because the pound would likely crash, incentivising export.

Why have a lot of the UK's pharmaceutical companies relocated to the EU if it's going to be so bad for them?

What a drama queen 😁

What a drama queen 😁
    It’s facts mate. If you would prefer to believe the Tory party and their billionaire propagandists over doctors, economists, and business fair enough.

I still don’t get why people are so desperate for this yet have not one positive reason to leave and are happy to ignore all the facts of a no deal.

During the referendum people were saying how important the single market was and now they don’t mind people dying as long as we leave. Ive never seen brainwashing like it.

It’s facts mate. If you would prefer to believe the Tory party and their billionaire propagandists over doctors, economists, and business fair enough.

I still don’t get why people are so desperate for this yet have not one positive reason to leave and are happy to ignore all the facts of a no deal.

During the referendum people were saying how important the single market was and now they don’t mind people dying as long as we leave. Ive never seen brainwashing like it.
    The people who are pushing it have successfully managed to get brexit and no deal to be seen as equal. They're nothing of the sort, which is why in the campaign everyone from Farage down said we'd get a deal (Norway, Canada, etc). NOT ONE of them was selling no deal, but now they are making out that we were always at war with Eurasia. It's incredible to see happening in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The knots Leavers are now having to tie themselves in to try to justify their original decision would be hilarious if it wasn't such a serious situation.

Can anyone say that they had fully considered the fact that there may be shortages of crucial medicines for some patients as a result of us leaving the EU when they cast their vote Leave vote in 2016 - truthful answers would be appreciated as opposed to the usual "party line" stuff.
    People have been fully indoctrinated into the cult of Brexit. They don’t know what they want they just know they want Brexit at all costs.

Our pal William above said he voted leave because the EU were corrupt but doesn’t seem to care that the leader of our country has gambled £8.3bn on a no deal Brexit happening.

How long before we hear that people knew that they were voting for food shortages and medicine shortages, rising cost of fuel and widespread public disorder? And that we should respect their wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    But at least you're happy for people to suffer. What benefit do they get for their suffering?
    They get to see what a wonderful nation “we” are. “We” invented the telephone after all “we” can definitely get through this

I'm baffled the same people who call the EU a "debt ridden, power hungry all consuming “club for the boys’" seem more than happy with Cummings and Johnson running the country so they make a profit on money they're investing based on a no deal brexit.

I could see why people originally voted for brexit, we were promised so much, especially low income families. But there is such a chasm between what was promised and a no deal brexit that I struggle to see why people still want it.