+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Frederic Gounongbe

Frederic Gounongbe

Re: Frederic Gounongbe

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Thanks for posting that - it sounds like a classic case off field events shaping a career, best of luck to him in the future.

It is a great article, I wonder how different it would have been if he'd have scored on his debut? But with this happening is it any wonder he never played well:

Within a month of arriving, Gounongbe sustained the injury that would effectively lead to his retirement and kickstart a torrid time in Cardiff on the football front.

He also suffered the emotional agony of his mother being diagnosed and passing away from cancer during his time in Wales.
    There was a good article on the athletic this week about how hard it is for footballers to handle grief and show weakness. He basically had a caeer ending injury and lost his mother at the same time. I think we are all guilty of forgetting footballers are just the same as us sometimes.

He sounds such a down to earth and level headed guy too.

Nice piece, and I've got fond memories of him. I remember Forest away in November 17, we were 2-0 up and he went clean through and squared it. Everyone was going mad, we were all desperate for him to score. He played twice that week, in wins vs Barnsley and Forest so the below isn't true.

Indeed, those two years seem a lifetime ago. In his two seasons in south Wales, he made just 15 appearances - failing to record a goal or a win in a Cardiff shirt.

That article explains a lot.

Another great insight into the positives with the club, manager, squad and fans too.

Good luck Fred.

That is indeed a nice story. Good luck Fred!

It proves its so easy to judge and wrongly comment its great to know he is adding value to others by going back to university to study asset management , and helping athletes manage their money .

Good on you Fred , at least you lived the dream of many of us , who as youngsters played football , and wanted to be a footballer , I know I did ,lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Nice piece, and I've got fond memories of him. I remember Forest away in November 17, we were 2-0 up and he went clean through and squared it. Everyone was going mad, we were all desperate for him to score. He played twice that week, in wins vs Barnsley and Forest so the below isn't true.
    I remember that, the away end was livid!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I've not checked this, but I think that stat about us not winning related to games in which he was in the starting eleven.