+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Derby 1 Warnock 1

Derby 1 Warnock 1

..well not quite, but Derby were able to put a far stronger side than us out tonight yet we matched them throughout - probably looked a bit stronger than them at the end. I was expecting one-way traffic tonight, but was pleasantly surprised. Glatzel's no Bothroyd, Paterson's no McPhail, and Bacuna's no Gunnarson, but they all did their jobs.

For me, the big difference since 2017/8 is Ralls is the most accomplished midfielder we have, yet in 2017/8 I reckoned he was the weakest. Perhaps sums up how lacking in quality we are in that area..

Re: Derby 1 Warnock 1

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ..well not quite, but Derby were able to put a far stronger side than us out tonight yet we matched them throughout - probably looked a bit stronger than them at the end. I was expecting one-way traffic tonight, but was pleasantly surprised. Glatzel's no Bothroyd, Paterson's no McPhail, and Bacuna's no Gunnarson, but they all did their jobs.

For me, the big difference since 2017/8 is Ralls is the most accomplished midfielder we have, yet in 2017/8 I reckoned he was the weakest. Perhaps sums up how lacking in quality we are in that area..
    Derby have lost, arguably, their best three players from last season and have not won since the opening day this time around so I'm not sure about them having a far stronger side than us even allowing for our injuries. I just think that having been, by some way the best of the three relegated sides last season and with money from parachute payments and outgoing transfers to help us out, we should be producing more than we did tonight.

I thought Ralls was probably our best midfielder in 17/18 when you consider that Gunnarsson was missing from the side for so long, but I know what you mean because he was third or fourth choice for us last season and yet I think we would really miss him if he was to get injured now.

Yes Ralls was very accomplished.

Flint and Morrison did there bit to keep a good front pair at bay .

Smithies has a longer and better distribution did well.

Bacuna worked hard seeing he was away last week and just got back

Holliet did well

Could have won it with the Glatzel header .

Job well done I think .

Thought Paterson looked way of his best .

Bamba , Pack, Etheridge back in this side and its a good one .

Pack is the one we're missing. To be honest, I thought it was an awful game of football.

I think Bacuna is coming on in leaps and bounds.
    There were a few problems tonight which I hadn't expected to see from a Cardiff City side, but all in all it wasn't a bad effort in the end and there were quite a few positives.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Derby have lost, arguably, their best three players from last season and have not won since the opening day this time around so I'm not sure about them having a far stronger side than us even allowing for our injuries. I just think that having been, by some way the best of the three relegated sides last season and with money from parachute payments and outgoing transfers to help us out, we should be producing more than we did tonight.

I thought Ralls was probably our best midfielder in 17/18 when you consider that Gunnarsson was missing from the side for so long, but I know what you mean because he was third or fourth choice for us last season and yet I think we would really miss him if he was to get injured now.
    I've always thought we 'looked' like a Premiership club when we were there - compare to Swansea, who despite competing well for 7 [?] seasons just didn't look the part. We took the the short-term Warnock route which may yet succeed again, but we all know there's a thin veneer of Championship respectability with not much in overall playing talent under the surface..

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes Ralls was very accomplished.

Flint and Morrison did there bit to keep a good front pair at bay .

Smithies has a longer and better distribution did well.

Bacuna worked hard seeing he was away last week and just got back

Holliet did well

Could have won it with the Glatzel header .

Job well done I think .

Thought Paterson looked way of his best .

Bamba , Pack, Etheridge back in this side and its a good one .
    I was thinking the double substitution came too early because like you I thought Paterson was huffing and puffing for much of the 2nd half and Glatzel was tiring also..

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    There were a few problems tonight which I hadn't expected to see from a Cardiff City side,
    Please elaborate. See if they're the same problems others have been talking about all season.

I was thinking the double substitution came too early because like you I thought Paterson was huffing and puffing for much of the 2nd half and Glatzel was tiring also..
    I don't think Bogle was used as an impact substitution otherwise he'd have been on earlier.

Couldn't believe the double sub. We were playing for a draw from the moment we equalised when the game was there for the taking

First game I've missed watching this season. Pleasantly surprised with the result. Did we have a chance to win it? How was Glatzel? Did he have any opportunities besides the pen?

I've always thought we 'looked' like a Premiership club when we were there - compare to Swansea, who despite competing well for 7 [?] seasons just didn't look the part. We took the the short-term Warnock route which may yet succeed again, but we all know there's a thin veneer of Championship respectability with not much in overall playing talent under the surface..
    You're not serious with that statement are you?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Pack is the one we're missing. To be honest, I thought it was an awful game of football.
    I thought the same ,a game lacking in any quality , a poor game played by two poor sides

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I didn't quite understand what he was on about either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    "club" not team. The ground, the crowd, the atmosphere, the general 'feeling. Football aside, we weren't out of place..

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    First game I've missed watching this season. Pleasantly surprised with the result. Did we have a chance to win it? How was Glatzel? Did he have any opportunities besides the pen?
    Good penalty from Glatzel and he had a header cleared off the line by Derby defenders late on.

"club" not team. The ground, the crowd, the atmosphere, the general 'feeling. Football aside, we weren't out of place..
    I'd agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Couldn't believe the double sub. We were playing for a draw from the moment we equalised when the game was there for the taking
    Not sure about that. We were the better team after we scored until half-time.

I see what you mean. I should have read what you posted more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Not sure about that. We were the better team after we scored until half-time.
    You're right, but that made it even more frustrating to watch after half time