Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
Financially yes, lifestyle no. I'm in my 30s with a good job and a solid pension. Same goes for my wife. My wife and I probably earn more than my parents did (inflation adjusted) and they both had well paid professional jobs. So you might look at that and think its progress.

But my boy will grow up in a smaller house than I did and I'll spend less the with him than my parents did with me. And I grew up in a nicer place than my kid will. Realistically unless I get a significant promotion my wife will always have to work-my mum took years out when I was little. and then there is the pension. I'm lucky as despite us obvs being on DC schemes my employer is actually decent and pays in a solid amount but it's nothing like the luxury of DB schemes that my parents are on.

I'm not complaining and I recognise I'm very lucky to have what I have, but the world is getting busier and so you need to out perform your parents to have the same quality of life that they did. We travel more than the last generation because it's so much cheaper and I'm sure there are some other generational advantages but lifestyle wise, generally the last generation had it far better
What are DC and DB schemes?