+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water found on distant planet

Water found on distant planet

Re: Water found on distant planet

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Except this water was poisonous to the lifeforms that lived on there. They preferred an alternative, yet undiscovered drink. Water killed off everything there.

Obviously I'm making all of that up. I do find it interesting that, so often, scientists say that water is proof of life on a planet. No it isn't. Water is proof of water on a planet. What's to say there are alien lifeforms out there who live on entirely different, probably undiscovered elements and substances?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Except this water was poisonous to the lifeforms that lived on there. They preferred an alternative, yet undiscovered drink. Water killed off everything there.

Obviously I'm making all of that up. I do find it interesting that, so often, scientists say that water is proof of life on a planet. No it isn't. Water is proof of water on a planet. What's to say there are alien lifeforms out there who live on entirely different, probably undiscovered elements and substances?
    do you think this possibility has been overlooked by science?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    do you think this possibility has been overlooked by science?
    I doubt it. I guess we only ever read the Janet and John bits. I don't recall ever hearing in the mainstream media about the possibility of what I mentioned, but that's not to suggest science has overlooked it, of course.

No way is there water in Swansea

111 light years away.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I listened to the news article about this tonight, I always think when this crops up, are these experts talking about life forms being human type lifeforms because i would be thinking that, probably, lifeforms on other planets may not be oxygen breathing 2 legs, arms eyes, dick and a fanny but lifeforms of a far nicer example.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I listened to the news article about this tonight, I always think when this crops up, are these experts talking about life forms being human type lifeforms because i would be thinking that, probably, lifeforms on other planets may not be oxygen breathing 2 legs, arms eyes, dick and a fanny but lifeforms of a far nicer example.
    The most advanced form of life on an exoplanet that has liquid water will most likely be amphibian/reptilian, as it would be here if it wasn't for that rock that fell to Earth 65,000,000 years ago and cooled the planet enough for mammals to thrive at the expense of cold-blooded lifeforms.
    However, if the exoplanet is already cool, who knows what might evolve?

I don’t think the claim is that water is proof of life but is a condition of life as we know it, so opens up the possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    The most advanced form of life on an exoplanet that has liquid water will most likely be amphibian/reptilian, as it would be here if it wasn't for that rock that fell to Earth 65,000,000 years ago and cooled the planet enough for mammals to thrive at the expense of cold-blooded lifeforms.
    However, if the exoplanet is already cool, who knows what might evolve?
    Or, other planets have developed way beyond ours and humans are a very primitive, early species.

No scientist has ever said water is proof of life on a planet.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    No scientist has ever said water is proof of life on a planet.
    That's good. I've heard it mentioned so many times on documentaries, news reports etc that water is a suggestion that life is or was on a planet. Maybe I should have used the word suggestion, rather than proof. "Ooh, look, water. Maybe life on there....."

That's good. I've heard it mentioned so many times on documentaries, news reports etc that water is a suggestion that life is or was on a planet. Maybe I should have used the word suggestion, rather than proof. "Ooh, look, water. Maybe life on there....."
    That's what science is about surely. The hypothesis comes first, which is then modified as further evidence comes to light. The fact that there is water present on this planet and the temperature range appears to be "earth-like" (0 - 35C IIRC) then there is the possibility of carbon based lifeforms similar to those on earth also being there. To my mind it does not preclude the possibility of different life forms on other planets where there is no water.

I'm surprised that no-one has started the usual "this proves there is no God" sub-thread. Oops. Just saying like.

I would imagine they also say "possible".

Up until recently we didn't know water existed anywhere else, so it's still a big deal. And yes, maybe life can exist without water but that's science fiction today, not science. I guess we become blasé quickly.

Or just microbes formed in a similar way to the earliest life on earth that maybe died out or evolved into something else primitive that never survived one of the many cataclysmic events that occur on most planets over time.

Maybe the microbe was called Ming The Merciless?

No they aren't thinking that. Because they know there are millions of other forms of life just on the earth alone.

Glad we could help.

No they aren't thinking that. Because they know there are millions of other forms of life just on the earth alone.

Glad we could help.
    Why so condescending? The man is asking a simple question. There is no need to be so flippant with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    Why so condescending? The man is asking a simple question. There is no need to be so flippant with him.

Captain Friendly is here, spreading peace and love.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    Snowflake getting offended on someone elses behalf

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I know, crazy.

Nelson gives as good as he gets back to me. And he does it under his own username.

Henry, however, is someone's multi for when he's too chicken to say something a bit mean and nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Whos offended?

I know, crazy.

Nelson gives as good as he gets back to me. And he does it under his own username.

Henry, however, is someone's multi for when he's too chicken to say something a bit mean and nasty.
    eh?

Here's another great example of something which you can't check or see for yourself because it's eleven million light years or whatever away, but which will either cost you money or at least provide someone with a great excuse to explain the disappearance of millions into their Swiss bank accounts.
    People are discussing it enthusiastically because it seems clever to understand the subtle nuances and implications to the fairy tale world David Attenborough sold them, but it's really not clever at all you know.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Here's another great example of something which you can't check or see for yourself because it's eleven million light years or whatever away, but which will either cost you money or at least provide someone with a great excuse to explain the disappearance of millions into their Swiss bank accounts.
    People are discussing it enthusiastically because it seems clever to understand the subtle nuances and implications to the fairy tale world David Attenborough sold them, but it's really not clever at all you know.
    Agreed