Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: “An enthralling draw” – really?

  1. #1

    “An enthralling draw” – really?


  2. #2
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    8,695

    Re: “An enthralling draw” – really?

    A good summary again Paul, although you have credited Andy Keogh not Richard with the foul that led to our penalty.

    Overall it was a fair result that showed a bit more defensive discipline again, but less threat than I hoped to see. Paterson, Whyte, Bennett and Murphy disappointed me - and I agree that Glatzel showed less than in previous games despite finally getting his first goal (I expected him to be on fire in the second half - but he was subdued). Bacuna did well again, and Hoilett and NML made a very strong case for starting positions in place of Murphy and Whyte. Some good things, some poor and no sense yet that this is a team heading for the top six.

    I was interested in Cocu's moans after the game and his calls for VAR. He clearly has a case with the penalty not given to Derby when Bennett committed the foul - but against that their goal should have been chalked off for Waghorn's handball, Malone's bad foul on Whyte went unpunished, Lawrence's worse foul on Mozzer arguably went underpunished, and Waghorn dived for that final Derby free kick (he was hoping to cheat his way to a penalty). Derby had marginally the better chances, but I thought they benefitted most from mistakes and bad calls.

  3. #3

    Re: “An enthralling draw” – really?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    A good summary again Paul, although you have credited Andy Keogh not Richard with the foul that led to our penalty.

    Overall it was a fair result that showed a bit more defensive discipline again, but less threat than I hoped to see. Paterson, Whyte, Bennett and Murphy disappointed me - and I agree that Glatzel showed less than in previous games despite finally getting his first goal (I expected him to be on fire in the second half - but he was subdued). Bacuna did well again, and Hoilett and NML made a very strong case for starting positions in place of Murphy and Whyte. Some good things, some poor and no sense yet that this is a team heading for the top six.

    I was interested in Cocu's moans after the game and his calls for VAR. He clearly has a case with the penalty not given to Derby when Bennett committed the foul - but against that their goal should have been chalked off for Waghorn's handball, Malone's bad foul on Whyte went unpunished, Lawrence's worse foul on Mozzer arguably went underpunished, and Waghorn dived for that final Derby free kick (he was hoping to cheat his way to a penalty). Derby had marginally the better chances, but I thought they benefitted most from mistakes and bad calls.
    Thanks Jon, I've just corrected that Keogh error.

    I wouldn't disagree with any of what you say about the major decisions in the game although I'm still unsure about the alleged handball in the lead up to their goal. When Lawrence was booked for that foul on Morrison, I guessed it would be his third caution of the season, but was proved wrong when the caption said he would be missing Derby's next match because of a fifth booking picked up in just the seventh game of the season - my initial surprise soon changed though because he has a nasty side to his game and I agree he should now be facing a three match suspension, not a one match one.

  4. #4

    Re: “An enthralling draw” – really?

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Another poor quality game with very little football being played (certainly by us anyway!)

    My enthusiasm has been surprisingly muted so far this season for some reason (maybe the stop/start nature of the league due to the international breaks) especially after what I thought was a promising transfer window. :-(

    However, the performances of the team thus far have been so dull, and whereas we’d put up with it if we were winning, it is just not a very interesting style of play, if the results aren’t coming.

    Is it a question of expectation as two years ago the team pretty much bullied its way to an amazing promotion whereas this year, with a few modest tweaks we are expecting to do the same and yet the new players don’t seem to be any sort of upgrade (yet anyway)?

    Glatzel for Kenneth - I think that this will ultimately be an improvement, but we need to see more.

    Flint for Manga - I remember that Morrison took time to settle when he arrived. I’m hoping that Flint can do the same as he looks ponderously slow at times.

    Whyte for Kads - a few nice touches and works hard. Needs more time, but yet to be convinced.

    Vaulks - need to see MUCH more.

    Pack - injured.

  5. #5

    Re: “An enthralling draw” – really?

    I don't really see us winning a game without Tomlin. We huff and puff, psssess are short and obvious whilst movement is slow and easily read. Its not great to watch, a team of honest pros with little guile or invention. This midfield has no ability to turn a game. I suppose we prepared for a war of attrition and that's how we play. Playing the law of averages.

  6. #6

    Re: “An enthralling draw” – really?

    I'm still unsure about the alleged handball in the lead up to their goal.
    In the premier league they would 100% have chalked that off.

    It’s a shite rule and impossible to enforce without VAR but there are numerous examples of them being given this season.

  7. #7
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    6,249

    Re: “An enthralling draw” – really?

    Was there some reason Tomlin wasn't playing?

  8. #8

    Re: “An enthralling draw” – really?

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Was there some reason Tomlin wasn't playing?
    Had car accident

  9. #9

    Re: “An enthralling draw” – really?

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Was there some reason Tomlin wasn't playing?
    He'd been in a minor road crash and was suffering from whiplash was the official reasoning

    No doubt he was surrounded by those parasites pushing where there's blame there's a claim who hang around the valley town centres.

  10. #10
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    8,695

    Re: “An enthralling draw” – really?

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks Jon, I've just corrected that Keogh error.

    I wouldn't disagree with any of what you say about the major decisions in the game although I'm still unsure about the alleged handball in the lead up to their goal. When Lawrence was booked for that foul on Morrison, I guessed it would be his third caution of the season, but was proved wrong when the caption said he would be missing Derby's next match because of a fifth booking picked up in just the seventh game of the season - my initial surprise soon changed though because he has a nasty side to his game and I agree he should now be facing a three match suspension, not a one match one.
    There's a brilliant comment in the Derbyshire Live Player Ratings by their football reporter Steve Nicholson:

    Martyn Waghorn 7.5

    Had a hand in Derby's early goal.


    https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/spo...-duane-3317828

    I will take that as a confession from the Derby camp!

  11. #11

    Re: “An enthralling draw” – really?

    The chanting between the two sets of fans and the appearance of Jon Parkin was far more interesting than anything that was going on on the pitch

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •