+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gavin Whyte

Gavin Whyte

This guy is getting much more criticism than he deserves. I think he’s improving by the match and once it clicks he’ll be a very good signing.

I’ve criticised Warnock plenty this season and I’ve criticised a lot of his signings. But the grief Whyte is getting reminds me of the grief Hudson used to get. People are just jumping on the bandwagon with him.

Re: Gavin Whyte

You're quite right.
    We unfortunately have a group of negative wierdos who dislike the club, the manager and the players. This is an example of how they get together in numbers to try and smother the career of a great young footballer and bring him down to their level.

Well done for speaking up for the good guys Rudey.

I agree as well. I think he's made the step up very well, albeit he's not the whole package yet. The way to develop of course is to get more and more matches under his belt.

Made one good block yesterday in the first half when Derby were on the break.
    Zero end product at the moment but I agree he is getting better the more he plays. Doesn’t stop.

I don’t think he suits a Warnock team

I disagree so much. No passing ability, no end product. Rarely beats his defender and no composure

I agree with the OP. He has movement, looks for space and his ball retention is better than most in our team.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    This guy is getting much more criticism than he deserves. I think he’s improving by the match and once it clicks he’ll be a very good signing.

I’ve criticised Warnock plenty this season and I’ve criticised a lot of his signings. But the grief Whyte is getting reminds me of the grief Hudson used to get. People are just jumping on the bandwagon with him.
    Did he do anything going forward last night? I'm genuinely asking because I can't remember anything of note.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Did he do anything going forward last night? I'm genuinely asking because I can't remember anything of note.
    I think he carries the ball forward well, his end product isn’t there at all at the moment but I think he’s settling in.

He might not improve but to me he looks talented it’s just not working out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post

I can never get this type of criticism is a very young potential talent,bloody poor stuff . Lange and Junior didn't have 90 minutes in them, he gives is all and is coming accustomed to the higher standards and guess what NI picked him ??

I think it called development , we have a lot of injuries FFS .

I remember many having the same negatives some of which are : Paul Parry ,Morrison , Hudson , Etheridge , McPhail .

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I can never get this type of criticism is a very young potential talent,bloody poor stuff . Lange and Junior didn't have 90 minutes in them, he gives is all and is coming accustomed to the higher standards and guess what NI picked him ??

I think it called development , we have a lot of injuries FFS .

I remember many having the same negatives some of which are : Paul Parry ,Morrison , Hudson , Etheridge , McPhail .
    I'm not going to criticise the player but there's two things that you've said there which carry no weight in your defence of him.

He's 23, that's not young by any stretch of the imagination in footballing terms. If he was 20 or younger, then you might have a point. There's 100s of players younger than him in the English leagues who have been first team regulars at their respective clubs since their teens.

Also, getting picked for a Northern Ireland squad is hardly a testament of his ability. They have players from League One in their squad.

He carries the ball forward then stops and loses the ball. He's good at tackling back but that's it .

A good honest trier but did we need another winger?

I think his work ethic is excellent and he does his bit defensively, but can anyone tell me anything good that he has done for us so far when it comes to what should be a winger's primary function - taking on and beating his full back to provide crosses and chances for his team mates and the occasional goal for himself?

Only at Cardiff City would a 23 year old be referred to as a "young footballer"

2 years ago, Mendez-Laing had already scored 4 goals and was terrorising defences after making the step up a division. Nobody can say Whyte has made anywhere near the same step up.

Gavin Whyte has played 42 games in GB football leagues only. That's less experience than Regan Poole who is 21 and I'm sure we'd all agree is a young player both in age and experience gained so far.

For a system that relies on contribution of wingers, and one where Hoillett doesn't seem trusted to play 90 mins every week, then another winger was absolutely needed.

Criticism of Warnock includes picking players not comfortable on the ball and spending money on experienced players who can likely be defined as "win now" signings. Whyte stands out as the exception to that and if he continues to improve then he'll be a big player for us this year and even bigger player next year too.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think his work ethic is excellent and he does his bit defensively, but can anyone tell me anything good that he has done for us so far when it comes to what should be a winger's primary function - taking on and beating his full back to provide crosses and chances for his team mates and the occasional goal for himself?

Well, it seems to me that you've never got anything good to say about our boys.
    You complain amongst other things that we don't use younger players and give them a chance to develop, yet you don't support this boy when he's clearly giving 120% for the club. What a surprise !

I think he's pulling his weight already and that with time he'll be a club icon. A full international cap after only a few championship games means that his talent is clear to many people, yet that's not good enough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'm not going to criticise the player but there's two things that you've said there which carry no weight in your defence of him.

He's 23, that's not young by any stretch of the imagination in footballing terms. If he was 20 or younger, then you might have a point. There's 100s of players younger than him in the English leagues who have been first team regulars at their respective clubs since their teens.

Also, getting picked for a Northern Ireland squad is hardly a testament of his ability. They have players from League One in their squad.
    He maybe 23 but in terms of experience and games he is young in games terms . and still learning that fits into what I would call a development stage .

He played against Germany and by all accounts acquitted himself well , and they do have other players,and a team not to understatement at the moment .

He has been accelerated early into our team due to injuries and he has found himself playing against Germany all in a single season, last year he was pitting his wits at a much lower level .

Give the lad some breathing space and time .

Support is what he wants not criticisms this point .

If when he has 20 plus games under his belt and he has shown no further improvement then a further judgement may well be worth considering .

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I saw him go past someone last night , and cross it , and have done in previous games ,give the lad a chance

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Well, it seems to me that you've never got anything good to say about our boys.
    You complain amongst other things that we don't use younger players and give them a chance to develop, yet you don't support this boy when he's clearly giving 120% for the club. What a surprise !

I think he's pulling his weight already and that with time he'll be a club icon. A full international cap after only a few championship games means that his talent is clear to many people, yet that's not good enough for you.
    He's 23

I saw him go past someone last night , and cross it , and have done in previous games ,give the lad a chance
    You must be watching different games to me, he's done absolutely nothing in terms of creating chances and he's not looked remotely like scoring - he's contributing nothing in attacking terms for us.

In saying that, someone has posted on my blog that they saw him playing for Oxford at Shrewsbury last season and he was very good, so it raises the question is Whyte's lack of impact as a winger down to our way of playing? He's a young player in terms of experience eager to impress at a new club and it might be that he is following instructions too rigidly - he must have more in his locker attacking wise than he is showing to have made the impact he has in what is a fledgling career in terms of his time in the Football League.

He took it round one player. And he has done before? But it's okay he runs around so it's fine.

Is this the aspirations of a promotion chasing team? Have you watched him? Because I'll tell you what - I've watched him since he played for Crusaders and he's nothing special. I live in Belfast so saw him loads.

Heisenberg

He maybe 23 but in terms of experience and games he is young in games terms . and still learning that fits into what I would call a development stage .

He played against Germany and by all accounts acquitted himself well , and they do have other players,and a team not to understatement at the moment .

He has been accelerated early into our team due to injuries and he has found himself playing against Germany all in a single season, last year he was pitting his wits at a much lower level .

Give the lad some breathing space and time .

Support is what he wants not criticisms this point .

If when he has 20 plus games under his belt and he has shown no further improvement then a further judgement may well be worth considering .
    When you said that you don't follow football other than Cardiff City... It's really showing in your post. Whyte was already a full international before he joined us.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He's 23
    23 is young, particularly when he hasn't got much experience in the better leagues