+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gavin Whyte

Re: Gavin Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Gavin Whyte has played 42 games in GB football leagues only. That's less experience than Regan Poole who is 21 and I'm sure we'd all agree is a young player both in age and experience gained so far.

For a system that relies on contribution of wingers, and one where Hoillett doesn't seem trusted to play 90 mins every week, then another winger was absolutely needed.

Criticism of Warnock includes picking players not comfortable on the ball and spending money on experienced players who can likely be defined as "win now" signings. Whyte stands out as the exception to that and if he continues to improve then he'll be a big player for us this year and even bigger player next year too.
    What a bizarre comparison. What the **** has Regan Poole got to do with anything?!?

Also, you keep going in Whytes technical ability like he’s Xavi or Pirlo?!?!?

Heisenberg

Apologies to life on mars, my reply should have been to RonnieBird.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Well, it seems to me that you've never got anything good to say about our boys.
    You complain amongst other things that we don't use younger players and give them a chance to develop, yet you don't support this boy when he's clearly giving 120% for the club. What a surprise !

I think he's pulling his weight already and that with time he'll be a club icon. A full international cap after only a few championship games means that his talent is clear to many people, yet that's not good enough for you.
    When you said that you don't follow football other than Cardiff City... It's really showing in your post. Whyte was already a full international before he joined us.

(Fixed)

Whyte looking inexperienced at this level isn't a problem for me at the moment considering the level he has played at. playing in the Irish league and at League 1 level has probably allowed him to get away with certain aspects of the game that wont show up at that level. The Championship is obviously different.

The question for me is will he develop and become a better more rounded and intelligent player under Warnock and his coaching staff? Surely that's what they would have had in mind when they signed him. I'm don't think that Warnock makes players better given our playing style, lets face it, it's as basic as digging holes with your hands. Our wingers never have a second option, they recieve the ball and are told to run at the fullback and deliver a cross without any support around them if they do reach a dead end, it's clueless stuff. I don't know whether Whyte is a good player or not although one thing i am convinced about is that he wont become a better player with Warnock as his manager.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I saw him go past someone last night , and cross it , and have done in previous games ,give the lad a chance
    In all the games he has played he has got some great crosses in, seems like I have been watching different games to what the complainers were watching

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Whyte looking inexperienced at this level isn't a problem for me at the moment considering the level he has played at. playing in the Irish league and at League 1 level has probably allowed him to get away with certain aspects of the game that wont show up at that level. The Championship is obviously different.

The question for me is will he develop and become a better more rounded and intelligent player under Warnock and his coaching staff? Surely that's what they would have had in mind when they signed him. I'm don't think that Warnock makes players better given our playing style, lets face it, it's as basic as digging holes with your hands. Our wingers never have a second option, they recieve the ball and are told to run at the fullback and deliver a cross without any support around them if they do reach a dead end, it's clueless stuff. I don't know whether Whyte is a good player or not although one thing i am convinced about is that he wont become a better player with Warnock as his manager.
    He certainly won’t get any decoy full back runs with Peltier at right back, or a give and go with Paterson in the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He certainly won’t get any decoy full back runs with Peltier at right back, or a give and go with Paterson in the hole.
    Warnock just wants the fullbacks to man mark. I feel a bit sorry for our wingers at times because they don't have any options, even when they get the chance to put a cross in there is a lack of runners so they have to put the cross into an area as oppossed to a player making a late run. I'm not saying that any of them are great, although i'm not sure that they're given much of a chance at times. I'm struggling to watch us at the moment, it's poor. The measure for me is Tomlin as our great hope. Let's face it, he's finished and even if he wasn't he's not enough of a player who can dictate play or be the difference between winning and losing. Warnock has been horrendous with the money he has had.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    In all the games he has played he has got some great crosses in, seems like I have been watching different games to what the complainers were watching
    So how many of these "great crosses" have been good enough to lead to even an effort on goal from City because I can't remember any. What I have seen from Whyte on the rare occasions when he has been in a position where he could put over a quality cross is hurried, misdirected and/or overhit efforts that deliver the ball back to the opposition - it's as if he gets over excited when he has a chance to make an impact. I feel sorry for him in lots of ways because he must be better than what he has shown for us so far and I can't help thinking he may be trying too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Agree. He got three good crosses in against Fulham in the space of a couple of minutes, just before half time and we nearly scored from two of them. People see what they want to see and the most vociferous against him dont even go to games, they listen on the radio and watch on tv and think that they are experts.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Agree. He got three good crosses in against Fulham in the space of a couple of minutes, just before half time and we nearly scored from two of them. People see what they want to see and the most vociferous against him dont even go to games, they listen on the radio and watch on tv and think that they are experts.
    So, although I don't believe you, let's say you are right and I am wrong, Whyte has been involved in every first team game we've played this season and we'd still be talking about three, allegedly, good crosses in all of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Yes of course he got good crosses in. He's a great little player and he'll get better. I don't know about listening on the radio, but Bob Wilson could be sitting on the crossbar and he still wouldn't see anything good about Cardiff City. I don't understand it !

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, although I don't believe you, let's say you are right and I am wrong, Whyte has been involved in every first team game we've played this season and we'd still be talking about three, allegedly, good crosses in all of that time.
    I hope Gavin Whyte is given more time and develops into a quality player at this level - as many pundits who have watched him at Oxford have predicted - but at the moment his contributions to play are disappointing. Effort but little end product.

That becomes more obvious when you see Kadeem Harris doing the business for Wednesday - and in my mind we have (at least for now) traded down. Harris was unlucky and if he hadn't had that bad injury 2 years ago just when he'd got a run of games he may have become an integral part of the team. Instead he ended up back on the far fringes.

But he always had a bit of magic and was the second best crosser of the ball amongst the wingers in recent years (after Junior). His inch perfect cross for Fletcher's goal at Huddersfield today was typical of him. If Gavin Whyte can start to provide service like that we may have a player. I hope we do.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I hope Gavin Whyte is given more time and develops into a quality player at this level - as many pundits who have watched him at Oxford have predicted - but at the moment his contributions to play are disappointing. Effort but little end product.

That becomes more obvious when you see Kadeem Harris doing the business for Wednesday - and in my mind we have (at least for now) traded down. Harris was unlucky and if he hadn't had that bad injury 2 years ago just when he'd got a run of games he may have become an integral part of the team. Instead he ended up back on the far fringes.

But he always had a bit of magic and was the second best crosser of the ball amongst the wingers in recent years (after Junior). His inch perfect cross for Fletcher's goal at Huddersfield today was typical of him. If Gavin Whyte can start to provide service like that we may have a player. I hope we do.
    Yes, just because I've been critical of him, it doesn't mean I don't want him to succeed here and I'm hopeful he will - I was encouraged by what Oxford fans had to say about him, but I've been disappointed up to now and, based on what we've seen so far, it can only be his defensive contributions that are keeping him in the side.

My disappointment is that there aren't these threads asking what Tomlin has done, overall it's very little in all his time here, or what Flint brings to the table, not enough to be worth £6million, but Whyte is judged after each game.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    My disappointment is that there aren't these threads asking what Tomlin has done, overall it's very little in all his time here, or what Flint brings to the table, not enough to be worth £6million, but Whyte is judged after each game.
    Tomlin is finished at this level. Effective for 35 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Tomlin is finished at this level. Effective for 35 minutes.
    The fact he's lauded as some kind of saviour shows how much we've fecked up the past couple of transfer windows

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The fact he's lauded as some kind of saviour shows how much we've fecked up the past couple of transfer windows
    Spot on, i was saying the exact same thing to another City fan yesterday.

Told you

Excellent yesterday, but still too early to judge.
    Although football fans in general do like to write players off after their first 20 minutes - not just ours.

Like a few players he’s still finding his feet.

What I like about him is that even though it’s not really happened for him going forward ( although he looked a threat all game today) is that he does his defensive job very well.

Murphy is a much more potent attacking force at the moment imho due to his pace and skill, but when this doesn’t work for him he ( mostly) doesn’t have a fall back in his defensive work.

Saying that he tried hard today given he was unwell

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He's 23
    You’ve got to look at his experience in terms of games played not his age ffs.
    He’s had a season in league 1. Other than that he played in the Irish league which is a lower standard..