Fulham v WBA

1 - 1 80 mins

Semi Ajayi just levelled for Albion

Re: Fulham v WBA

Hadnt spotted that. Nice one Semi.
    Ended 1-1

Bored shitless watching it.

At one point, Fulham had a free kick on the half way line, it was taken short and square, 10 passes backwards or square later, the ball was back in the same place, with the same player.

I swear the crowd were asleep

Fulham play exactly the sort of football that the Cardiff City knockers here constantly demand. They play that sort of football as well or better than anyone in the Championship, and we can see how far it gets them.
    By contrast, the untidy at times Warnockball against Derby last night looked far more likely to bring a result and I think would have done if our chance taking has been sharper. That's a thing which can be solved though.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Fulham play exactly the sort of football that the Cardiff City knockers here constantly demand. They play that sort of football as well or better than anyone in the Championship, and we can see how far it gets them.
    By contrast, the untidy at times Warnockball against Derby last night looked far more likely to bring a result and I think would have done if our chance taking has been sharper. That's a thing which can be solved though.
    Fulham are not playing their style of football as well as they did 2 years ago (or maybe 20 months ago) and neither are we with our preferred style. Both ways can be effective and in my opinion both can be entertaining. Fulham have become slower and ponderous, and we have lost some of that zip and accuracy we had.

So-called 'Warnockball' if that means 40% possession, defending deep and playing on the counter, keeping it safe at the back, getting the ball forward quickly (either long balls or passed on through the midfield with no wasted touches) and then letting power, pace and skill cause havoc, is fine by me. The problem is that we haven't done that very well for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Fulham are not playing their style of football as well as they did 2 years ago (or maybe 20 months ago) and neither are we with our preferred style. Both ways can be effective and in my opinion both can be entertaining. Fulham have become slower and ponderous, and we have lost some of that zip and accuracy we had.

So-called 'Warnockball' if that means 40% possession, defending deep and playing on the counter, keeping it safe at the back, getting the ball forward quickly (either long balls or passed on through the midfield with no wasted touches) and then letting power, pace and skill cause havoc, is fine by me. The problem is that we haven't done that very well for a while.
    Fulham were previously more adventurous and played at a higher tempo than the team I saw 2 weeks ago.

Regarding Cardiff, sadly this season we just aren’t “keeping it safe at the back“ enough and seem to be letting in soft goals every game that the team of 2 years ago weren’t.

Hopefully the return of Etheridge and Pack will improve things but as much as I like Bamba fear he may not be the same after his injury and won’t be able to rely on making his last ditch tackles or blocks ......I hope I am wrong !

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Fulham were previously more adventurous and played at a higher tempo than the team I saw 2 weeks ago.

Regarding Cardiff, sadly this season we just aren’t “keeping it safe at the back“ enough and seem to be letting in soft goals every game that the team of 2 years ago weren’t.

Hopefully the return of Etheridge and Pack will improve things but as much as I like Bamba fear he may not be the same after his injury and won’t be able to rely on making his last ditch tackles or blocks ......I hope I am wrong !
    not having a go at you, but we aren't leaking goals and many think that etheridge's distribution is terrible .So what will improve with his return for you ? Pack i agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    not having a go at you, but we aren't leaking goals and many think that etheridge's distribution is terrible .So what will improve with his return for you ? Pack i agree on.
    I'm curious about this as well. Has there been a single match this season where you could argue that having Etheridge in the team would probably have changed the result?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I'm curious about this as well. Has there been a single match this season where you could argue that having Etheridge in the team would probably have changed the result?
    Yes, yesterday Etheridge would have held that ball or pushed it out for a corner, Smithies did a great first save but fluffed the second one, he should have saved their goal!

You might argue that our back four are more settled with a goalkeeper they know (etheridge) behind them and that might mean less mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Well that's quite right actually Jon. I think you've hit the nail on the head there and, as I see it, the thing we need to do - and are doing- is to reform in the face of a few set backs and recapture the effectiveness of the thing we're good at. It's no good, in my opinion, trying to change our style whilst we're in the middle of all this because we'd lose what little force we retain in the process.
    I'm thinking that we can get it right quite quickly now and those who are panicking are premature because there's only six points or something separating us from the top team.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    You might argue that our back four are more settled with a goalkeeper they know (etheridge) behind them and that might mean less mistakes.
    Perhaps, but we're stuck with it, and I think the boy is doing a very good job on the whole. When the knockers and back stabbers are whining about some of Sir Neil's buys, it's worth pointing out that this was a very good investment

Fulham seemed to be passing just for the sake of it. Perhaps they think promotion depends on possession stats.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    No problem, to clarify, I feel we have conceded goals this season that 2 years ago we weren’t ( I believe we had the best defence in the Championship that season and approx 16 clean sheets? ) but this season we have only prevented Blackburn from scoring in the first 8 games and looking at the table have tougher fixtures ahead! .

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Yes, yesterday Etheridge would have held that ball or pushed it out for a corner, Smithies did a great first save but fluffed the second one, he should have saved their goal!
    I think that is harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    No problem, to clarify, I feel we have conceded goals this season that 2 years ago we weren’t ( I believe we had the best defence in the Championship that season and approx 16 clean sheets? ) but this season we have only prevented Blackburn from scoring in the first 8 games and looking at the table have tougher fixtures ahead! .
    Isn't this because of how the outfield players have defended and not the performance of the goalkeeper?