+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: BANDS WHO DISAPPOINTED YOU LIVE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: BANDS WHO DISAPPOINTED YOU LIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Where did you see the Smiths mate?
    I saw them at Essex University in 1984 when they were touring with their first album, then at Cardiff University, I think just before Meat Is Murder was released (I'd need to check that date though), then on 'The Queen Is Dead' tour at Brixton Academy, and then again later at The Brixton Academy. I still have some of the tickets

And they were fantastic every time - they definitely evolved over time, but we very powerful, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I saw them at Essex University in 1984 when they were touring with their first album, then at Cardiff University, I think just before Meat Is Murder was released (I'd need to check that date though), then on 'The Queen Is Dead' tour at Brixton Academy, and then again later at The Brixton Academy. I still have some of the tickets

And they were fantastic every time - they definitely evolved over time, but we very powerful, every time.
    Really interesting insight mate. Love hearing stuff like this. So jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Really interesting insight mate. Love hearing stuff like this. So jealous.
    It is difficult to articulate how good they were and how the gigs made me feel (admittedly I was in my late teens/early twenties) as it was such an important part of my life at the time (and to some degree still is).

I saw Johnny Marr at The Royal Festival Hall in early August and The Smiths songs that he played were rather predictably rapturously received. The encore of 'There Is A Light......' was marvellous, but was that just because I was subconsciously imagining that I was back at Brixton Academy in the mid 1980s, or because it is such a fantastic song? His son Nile was in the band too which definitely resonated with me as a father sons of a similar age. Very nice.

I have tried to explain to my boys but they just look at me blankly. . Like most people do.

It is difficult to articulate how good they were and how the gigs made me feel (admittedly I was in my late teens/early twenties) as it was such an important part of my life at the time (and to some degree still is).

I saw Johnny Marr at The Royal Festival Hall in early August and The Smiths songs that he played were rather predictably rapturously received. The encore of 'There Is A Light......' was marvellous, but was that just because I was subconsciously imagining that I was back at Brixton Academy in the mid 1980s, or because it is such a fantastic song? His son Nile was in the band too which definitely resonated with me as a father sons of a similar age. Very nice.

I have tried to explain to my boys but they just look at me blankly. . Like most people do.
    Sorry, one last point: I have also seen Morrissey a few times recently, and he has moved away from The Smiths' songs quite strongly and I don't think played any of them. His fan base seems to be quite different to former fans of The Smiths (like me!)

The Smiths played Cardiff Uni in September '84. I'm pretty sure of that as I was there