+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BANDS WHO DISAPPOINTED YOU LIVE

Re: BANDS WHO DISAPPOINTED YOU LIVE

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    The Stones last year were great.I saw them years ago at the arms park they were average
    I once saw John Wetton ex asia and family in ebbw vale,
    he was dreadful I swear to this day he must have sent someone esle in his place
    someone esle

never heard of him

watched rihanna warm up once

bob dylan in cardiff, worst gig pound for pound ive ever been to, he couldnt be ****ed

u2 at the millennium stadium which i had to review

daphne and celeste

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I agree on the first 3 but I can also understand why someone who saw The Clash in 1977 might not have had the greatest musical experience, particularly if their preference was for heavier rock. I didn’t see Springsteen until late 80’s.... sadly
    Agree about The Clash. Brilliant live but maybe not for their musical prowess.

.... and because Bad Company were total shite ��
    Jesus wept, if bad Company were total shite, I'd hate for you to list your favourite bands....

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I think it is generally recognised that tour was bad. I was in Berlin a couple of weeks ago and we did a Bowie/Iggy tour. Our guide was a Bowie fanatic but even he admitted the Glass Spider tour was poor.
    Although I could never say I didn't like Bowie, I did sometimes wonder what all of the fuss was about. I went along solely because it meant I could say that I had seen him live. Sounds like it was my bad luck that the only time I did that was on the tour which is recognised as being, possibly, his worst.

Maybe because my expectation levels weren't great beforehand, that concert just kind of washed over me and I cannot say I was that disappointed by it. It's probably a sign of the lack of impact the whole night had on me that I cannot remember for sure if Peter Frampton was there as well or whether Cardiff was one of the shows he missed on that tour?

Dr Feelgood, Hawkind and The Groundhogs had one thing on common at their gigs that I attended in Cardiff: every song/track they played sounded the same......

Yep, the Groundhogs were well past their sell by date when I saw them about 5 years ago on a bill with Focus who were good and Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash who were excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Yep, the Groundhogs were well past their sell by date when I saw them about 5 years ago on a bill with Focus who were good and Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash who were excellent.
    I saw Groundhogs when they supported Taste ( Rory Gallagher) at Barry Memorial Hall in about 1969. That was a cracking gig and Groundhogs did not disappoint however my subsequent experience of them reflects yours. Sometimes it is best never to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Jesus wept, if bad Company were total shite, I'd hate for you to list your favourite bands....
    I’m sure you’d be unimpressed although based on your Bad Company perspective I guess yours might also provide some pretty gruesome reading for me and some serious offence to my ears

I’m sure you’d be unimpressed although based on your Bad Company perspective I guess yours might also provide some pretty gruesome reading for me and some serious offence to my ears
    LMAO...Good answer matey As I've said before on here, it would be a pretty shite music world out there if we all like the same half dozen artists or bands...

There have been many. My top 3 would be The Stone Roses, The Fall and Hole. However, I've seen the Fall and Hole play great shows too.

We should start a thread for worst support bands. That one could go on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Ooh.

I saw The Clash 3 times and along with The Smiths, The Jam and early Springsteen, they were without doubt one the the best live bands I’ve seen :-/
    Where did you see the Smiths mate?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    There have been many. My top 3 would be The Stone Roses, The Fall and Hole. However, I've seen the Fall and Hole play great shows too.

We should start a thread for worst support bands. That one could go on and on.
    I haven't seen anyone who's seen the Stone Roses live say they were any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    I was at Portsmouth Polytechnic and saw them in the Students Union in November 1983... was about a month after This Charming Man was released. It was packed out but still only about 500 people in there.

As you can imagine it was pretty cool but back then they only had enough for a 40 minute set and I only knew the tracks I’d heard on the John Peel show... what a legend he was by the way

Judas Priest at the CIA a few years ago, i left half way through. They were supported by the Scorpions and in my opinion just blew them away. Every single gig at the millennium stadium, hate that stadium might make an exception for Rammstein.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I can echo that. Hole were responsible for one of the worst live performances I’ve ever seen (Reading Festival). They were also responsible for one of the best (Brixton Academy).

I was at Portsmouth Polytechnic and saw them in the Students Union in November 1983... was about a month after This Charming Man was released. It was packed out but still only about 500 people in there.

As you can imagine it was pretty cool but back then they only had enough for a 40 minute set and I only knew the tracks I’d heard on the John Peel show... what a legend he was by the way
    So were they relatively unknown at that point? What was the show like?

Amusement Parks On Fire is one for me.

Their studio stuff is all building guitars and massive sound. I saw them in the then Barfly and they had these shitey little amps and it sounded dreadful.

I saw them at Essex University in 1984 when they were touring with their first album, then at Cardiff University, I think just before Meat Is Murder was released (I'd need to check that date though), then on 'The Queen Is Dead' tour at Brixton Academy, and then again later at The Brixton Academy. I still have some of the tickets

And they were fantastic every time - they definitely evolved over time, but we very powerful, every time.

I haven't seen anyone who's seen the Stone Roses live say they were any good.
    I saw them at the ICA in London in 1989 just before their first album came out, and they were good.

Ian Brown's vocals were never very good live, but there was something about them, at that time.

(I happened to end up standing next to Guy Chadwick of House of Love, not that that is in anyway relevant of course.....)

I saw them at Essex University in 1984 when they were touring with their first album, then at Cardiff University, I think just before Meat Is Murder was released (I'd need to check that date though), then on 'The Queen Is Dead' tour at Brixton Academy, and then again later at The Brixton Academy. I still have some of the tickets

And they were fantastic every time - they definitely evolved over time, but we very powerful, every time.
    Really interesting insight mate. Love hearing stuff like this. So jealous.

still got lots of photos from there 1986 gig at newport Baker
    was approached by some one on twitter to use in a book a few years ago .
    i declined the offer . hopefully be worth a few bob when i retire a sort of pension pot

Really interesting insight mate. Love hearing stuff like this. So jealous.
    It is difficult to articulate how good they were and how the gigs made me feel (admittedly I was in my late teens/early twenties) as it was such an important part of my life at the time (and to some degree still is).

I saw Johnny Marr at The Royal Festival Hall in early August and The Smiths songs that he played were rather predictably rapturously received. The encore of 'There Is A Light......' was marvellous, but was that just because I was subconsciously imagining that I was back at Brixton Academy in the mid 1980s, or because it is such a fantastic song? His son Nile was in the band too which definitely resonated with me as a father sons of a similar age. Very nice.

I have tried to explain to my boys but they just look at me blankly. . Like most people do.

It is difficult to articulate how good they were and how the gigs made me feel (admittedly I was in my late teens/early twenties) as it was such an important part of my life at the time (and to some degree still is).

I saw Johnny Marr at The Royal Festival Hall in early August and The Smiths songs that he played were rather predictably rapturously received. The encore of 'There Is A Light......' was marvellous, but was that just because I was subconsciously imagining that I was back at Brixton Academy in the mid 1980s, or because it is such a fantastic song? His son Nile was in the band too which definitely resonated with me as a father sons of a similar age. Very nice.

I have tried to explain to my boys but they just look at me blankly. . Like most people do.
    Sorry, one last point: I have also seen Morrissey a few times recently, and he has moved away from The Smiths' songs quite strongly and I don't think played any of them. His fan base seems to be quite different to former fans of The Smiths (like me!)

James earlier this summer in Toronto. They were touring with The Psychedelic Furs who put them to shame.

I’m all for bands playing new stuff but mix it in with the stuff people come to see you for.... James have some excellent early stuff but the only song the majority of the 2000 crowd knew was ‘Laid’ and Tim Booth even announced before they played it that it was a spur of the moment thing to even play that. Everyone in the crowd was pissed off that Sit Down didn’t get played.
    I think James are a great band and some of their new stuff is good but I know what you mean... playing some of their older stuff wouldn’t have killed them.

I remember seeing Pulp just a few years back and Jarvis Cocker, as they started to play common people, said “I don’t care if Pulp are only ever remembered for this song, because it’s a brilliant song”... and they then went on to play a magnificent 12 minute version of it... it could have been longer. Brilliant.