+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BANDS WHO DISAPPOINTED YOU LIVE

BANDS WHO DISAPPOINTED YOU LIVE

Ok, I'll start off with Queen, who I saw in the mid to late 70's in the Castle Grounds and The Capitol Cinema. I know it was difficult to reproduce their sound live on stage but they really made a meal of it with Freddie's vocals being well off. Secondly Black Sabbath during the same period. The first gig I saw they were great, the second was beset with technical problems and was awful.

Re: BANDS WHO DISAPPOINTED YOU LIVE

Happy Mondays, Glastonbury 1990. At the time they were my favourite band.

Saw the Rolling Stones at Ashton Gate in 1982, they were very poor that day.

Also, I was more interested in watching the Pretenders than U2 at the National Stadium in 1987 and they just went through the motions.

It was the Rolling Stones for me too - but much later: The Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield in 1995.

I resented paying that much to watch them going through the motions. I also struggle with venues where you have to watch the big screen to see what's going on and where the atmosphere feels fake. There were a good few hundred die hard fans at the front but most of the audience were there so they could say in later years they had seen the Stones live. I was somewhere in between, but it felt a bit like Old Trafford when it's full of football tourists taking selfies.

Extreme at the Arms Park supporting Bryan Adams. Load of over-indulgent shite. Guitar solos, drum solos, vocal solos - they were the support slot and only had about 45 mins. Ended up going to the bar instead and they were the only reason I ad gone to that gig. Little Angels were superb though.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Ok, I'll start off with Queen, who I saw in the mid to late 70's in the Castle Grounds and The Capitol Cinema. I know it was difficult to reproduce their sound live on stage but they really made a meal of it with Freddie's vocals being well off. Secondly Black Sabbath during the same period. The first gig I saw they were great, the second was beset with technical problems and was awful.
    The Clash, November '77, Cardiff University. The 'Big' 3 music papers i.e. Sounds, NME & Meldoy Maker were bigging them up to being one of the best live bands in the world. They were fecking shite! Couldn't play their instruments and none of 'em could sing a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Queen disappoint me when they're on the radio, never mind live. And the scabby ****ers played Sun City during the Apartheid years.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Saw the Rolling Stones at Ashton Gate in 1982, they were very poor that day.

Also, I was more interested in watching the Pretenders than U2 at the National Stadium in 1987 and they just went through the motions.
    Agree with you there Bob, the Stones were extremely poor that day. Best band on that day was the local reggae band that went on first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Queen disappoint me when they're on the radio, never mind live. And the scabby ****ers played Sun City during the Apartheid years.
    Queen!! The most over rated band of all time, without a shadow of a doubt. 'Rock' music for people that aren't really into rock music!!

Remember Amen Corner when they had just become famous. Think it was Stoneligh Club Portcawl. Fecking useless, with apologies to AFL who is a big City fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Queen!! The most over rated band of all time, without a shadow of a doubt. 'Rock' music for people that aren't really into rock music!!
    They're just shite. Not one of their songs actually means anything.

Simple Minds - Milton Keynes Bowl 1986

Only went because my girlfriend was a fan
    Truly awful self indulgent generic bilge - mind you they didn't disappoint me as I have always thought they were truly shite

Better support bands in Lloyd Cole and The Waterboys and Doctor and the Medics

Gene loves Jezebel at Cardiff Uni were shocking too

Not a band, but Leo Sayer.
    My uni booked him before he was famous, then he had that hit single while dressed as a clown, so he tried to get out of the booking, saying the stage wasn't big enough.
    He was booked for our Stoke campus, but there was a bigger stage at our Stafford site, wher I was based, so we went along - as well as 90% of the local under-25 population, it seemed.
    There was a folky singer-songwriter as 1st warm-up, he was OK.
    Then a three-piece called Strife who were really good. ( Ithink they were originally booked as the main act for our site, but had to play second fiddle once Leo was moved there)

Then after what seemed like an eternity, LS came on sang a few songs, and left after 20 minutes.
    \Wanker.

Totally agree matey. Just listen to any of the 'lyrics' to any of their hits, shockingly poor and embarrassingly trite. The only half way decent song they ever recorded was 'You're My Best Friend' written in one of his rare forays into writing a song, by John Deacon, about his then girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post

Truly awful self indulgent generic bilge - mind you they didn't disappoint me as I have always thought they were truly shite

The Waterboys at Cardiff Uni is one of my favourite all time gigs, May '86. They were equally as mind blowing at the Glastonbury Festival a month later.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post

This was my 1st Simple Minds gig, 30 odd gigs later including Munich, Berlin & Prague I had a diff experience agree about the Waterboys, they were excellent, I saw them another two time after the MK gig, in the port and the diff

After seeing REM deliver a brilliant concert at the Newport centre a year or so earlier, I thought they disappointed a bit at Cardiff Arms park.

Never enjoyed Tina Turner,
    The boss didn't quite boss it for me at the stadium,
    The U2 concert at the Millennium wasn't very good but I thought the Joshua Tree and Zooropa were both excellent gigs.

Agree with you there Bob, the Stones were extremely poor that day. Best band on that day was the local reggae band that went on first.
    I'd forgotten all about them, but thinking back, they were good weren't they - just looked it up and they were called Talisman.

The J Geils Band, who I was not expecting much from, were rubbish as well as I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Do you ever hear a song for the first time and think that it's brilliant and then a few months later realise that it's shit? I've got this rule with music, if a song instantly stimulates my senses and i have to play it again and again then it's probably crap. The ones that stay are the songs that i really like after the third or fourth time of listening.

Noel Gallagher this year.
    Shouldn’t moan as the tickets were free but he wasn’t great and a bit of a cock too.
    Shame really as I remember looking forward to it on a lovely summers evening.

Like Beethoven or Mozart then. Utterly meaningless music

Michael Schenker Group , St Davids hall , 1984

Useless German idiot

And to think I voted remain

Got simon kirkes drumstick though

Bowie, Arms Park 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Noel Gallagher this year.
    Shouldn’t moan as the tickets were free but he wasn’t great and a bit of a cock too.
    Shame really as I remember looking forward to it on a lovely summers evening.
    The pair of them always seem to behave as if they have utter contempt for their audience, Van Morrison is in that category also imo.