+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BANDS WHO DISAPPOINTED YOU LIVE

Re: BANDS WHO DISAPPOINTED YOU LIVE

...and for me it was Bad Company..Earls Court..around 76/77..boring.

[QUOTE=kendoddsdadsdogsdead;5005624]...and for me it was Bad Company..Earls Court..around 76/77..boring.[/

The gig was early '77, when they were touring the Burnin' Sky album. Not a good album at all by their pretty high standards. I've seen Bad Company a few times and always found them excellent. How come you found them boring?

Chuck Berry in Cardiff. Played an extremely short set with hired hands he picked up in yhe UK on landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Chuck Berry in Cardiff. Played an extremely short set with hired hands he picked up in yhe UK on landing.
    Before that gig, someone warned him about this but he was adamant it would work, saying you never can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Saw the Rolling Stones at Ashton Gate in 1982, they were very poor that day.

Also, I was more interested in watching the Pretenders than U2 at the National Stadium in 1987 and they just went through the motions.
    I was at both of those!

I thought that the Stones were good (although I was only 18 at the time - it was a lovely sunny day and the J Geils Band were the support)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    The Clash, November '77, Cardiff University. The 'Big' 3 music papers i.e. Sounds, NME & Meldoy Maker were bigging them up to being one of the best live bands in the world. They were fecking shite! Couldn't play their instruments and none of 'em could sing a tune.
    Ooh.

I saw The Clash 3 times and along with The Smiths, The Jam and early Springsteen, they were without doubt one the the best live bands I’ve seen :-/

Prefab Sprout at Cardiff University.

Beautiful records (Steve McQueen) that somehow didn’t translate to a live performance. Not the night that I saw them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Michael Schenker Group , St Davids hall , 1984

Useless German idiot

And to think I voted remain

Got simon kirkes drumstick though
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Bowie, Arms Park 1987.
    Yeah. That wasn’t brilliant especially coming after the ‘Serious Moonlight’ tour which was meant to be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    That is how he operated though.

I saw him in Clapham and it was the same. Shambolic but entertaining at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Before that gig, someone warned him about this but he was adamant it would work, saying you never can tell.
    🙈

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ...Mrs just said she saw Bowie at Wembley....Glass Spider Tour..
    I quote...
    the biggest heap of shit ever witnessed.... ever..in the world..
    I think it is generally recognised that tour was bad. I was in Berlin a couple of weeks ago and we did a Bowie/Iggy tour. Our guide was a Bowie fanatic but even he admitted the Glass Spider tour was poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Ooh.

I saw The Clash 3 times and along with The Smiths, The Jam and early Springsteen, they were without doubt one the the best live bands I’ve seen :-/
    I agree on the first 3 but I can also understand why someone who saw The Clash in 1977 might not have had the greatest musical experience, particularly if their preference was for heavier rock. I didn’t see Springsteen until late 80’s.... sadly

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    That is how he operated though.

I saw him in Clapham and it was the same. Shambolic but entertaining at the same time.
    Yes, it is well known. He signed a contract to play for X minutes and that is how long he played for with no encores.
    I saw him in 1982 and that's how it was

The whole Millennium concert as the Manics, Super Furry Animals, Feeder and Shack tried desperately to get everyone in the party spirit and then fu**ed off at 5 minutes to midnight and came back on at 10 minutes past with Hey Jude playing over the speakers for 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    The Stones last year were great.I saw them years ago at the arms park they were average
    I once saw John Wetton ex asia and family in ebbw vale,
    he was dreadful I swear to this day he must have sent someone esle in his place
    Jethro Tull were astonishing good live act ( Anderson has such a different unique presence than most singers ) saw War Child tour , slept outside the Capital for me ticket

Indeed, Ian Anderson was highly entertaining (and extremely intelligent). Anybody seeing images of him in the late 60's/early 70's would have been convinced that he was the most drugged up performer around but it is on record that he took absolutely nothing. A fantastic speaking voice too if you've ever seen his interviews. Sadly, I saw Tull about 3-4 it years ago and he could barely hold a note. Still a great flute player and excellent acoustic guitarist though.

I do festivals regularly so see a huge amount of dross. But of the bands I was looking forward to, the worst by a mile has to be Depeche Mode. Just two hours of not knowing where one song ended and another began - zero audience interaction - zero enthusiasm. Stay off the smack kids.

Honourable mention to Evan Dando (Glasto '95) booed offstage and arrested shortly afterwards for having enough drugs on him to fell a horse.

I forgot to mention old Slowhand. Saw him at the Albert Hall in the late 90's and he had zero persona on stage. To be fair he never considered himself a front man and you can understand why. Excellent player though he is, he never interacted with the audience. I could have saved myself a few bob, stayed at home and just put his records on.

Stereophonics

..I was only 17..just getting into Punk...they just seemed bland

Radio 2 Festival in a day yesterday in Hyde Park. I felt really flat watching The Pet Shop Boys. Yet watching it back on Iplayer and it’s bloody good. I don’t understand myself sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Recently saw Nick Mason of Pink Floyd fame and his new band which contained one of the old Spandau Ballet Kemp brothers. They played the 60’s Floyd stuff and frankly I needed an LSD trip to make sense of it. Bloody awful.
    I saw that one at St Davids Hall and thought they were tremendous. Pink Floyd at their best before the 80s drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ..I was only 17..just getting into Punk...they just seemed bland
    .... and because Bad Company were total shite 👍

I hated seeing Milli Vanilli live, it was too similar to their recorded sound.