+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BANDS WHO DISAPPOINTED YOU LIVE

Re: BANDS WHO DISAPPOINTED YOU LIVE

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    Like Beethoven or Mozart then. Utterly meaningless music
    Freddie Mercury being compared to Beethoven and Mozart-Did you really just do that?

Oasis at the millennium stadium in 2005, played like they were just going though the motions. The Foo Fighters supported them and were far better, brilliant group live.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Michael Schenker Group , St Davids hall , 1984

Useless German idiot

And to think I voted remain

Got simon kirkes drumstick though
    Ahhh yes Sludgey, I was there and would have loved Kirke's drumstick! His band Wildlife (later to morph into FM) were outstanding and were the best support act I have ever seen live. Schenker was Shite, hence I left during the third number

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd forgotten all about them, but thinking back, they were good weren't they - just looked it up and they were called Talisman.

The J Geils Band, who I was not expecting much from, were rubbish as well as I remember.
    Agree with you as well regarding the J Geils Band. They came across as nothing but a slick American mainstream rock act, i.e extremely boring. They were riding in on the popularity of their biggie hit single 'Centrefold'. Thanks for finding out the name of the reggae band. They were a local Bristol band, if memory serves me well?

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Extreme at the Arms Park supporting Bryan Adams. Load of over-indulgent shite. Guitar solos, drum solos, vocal solos - they were the support slot and only had about 45 mins. Ended up going to the bar instead and they were the only reason I ad gone to that gig. Little Angels were superb though.
    Christ I was just going to write this!! They were dreadful and I was really looking forward to them as well. The rest of the gig including Bryan Adams was really good .

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Happy Mondays, Glastonbury 1990. At the time they were my favourite band.
    I was there for that. My last visit to Glastonbury. I wasn’t a big Happy Mondays fan but I was looking forward to seeing them. They were absolute garbage.

The most disappointing band I’ve ever seen live is Public Image Ltd. I’ve seen them about seven or eight times in total and a couple of those shows have been excellent, but the gig at Cardiff’s Top Rank in 83 or 84 was dreadful and they were pathetic at the Tramshed a couple of years ago. That was especially annoying as I’d seen them in Bristol a few months beforehand and they were superb on that occasion.

First Team

Recently saw Nick Mason of Pink Floyd fame and his new band which contained one of the old Spandau Ballet Kemp brothers. They played the 60’s Floyd stuff and frankly I needed an LSD trip to make sense of it. Bloody awful.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Christ I was just going to write this!! They were dreadful and I was really looking forward to them as well. The rest of the gig including Bryan Adams was really good .
    I had been dragged along as my brother really like Bryan Adams. I liked the Extreme albums and so he said he would pay if I would go with him. I have to admit Bryan Adams was awesome - such an showman. Squeeze or whatever they were called were good - just not my cop of tea. But Extreme was utter shite. Plus Nuno let himself down by not wearing a CCFC shirt but chose the Cardiff rugby one instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    The pair of them always seem to behave as if they have utter contempt for their audience, Van Morrison is in that category also imo.
    I've seen Van Morrison twice now, first time at the Dominions theatre in Tottenham Court Road, early 80's and then in Cardiff a few years back. Both times he was a grumpy git, singing out of tune, no acknowledgement of the audience.
    Richie Blackmore's Rainbow at Wembley Arena in the late 70s / early 80s until Blackmore decided he'd had enough after no more than half an hour and that was the end of the gig.

Tubeway Army- Gary Numan's band, supporting someone at Cambridge Corn Exchange in the late 70s were awful

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I was there for that. My last visit to Glastonbury. I wasn’t a big Happy Mondays fan but I was looking forward to seeing them. They were absolute garbage.

The most disappointing band I’ve ever seen live is Public Image Ltd. I’ve seen them about seven or eight times in total and a couple of those shows have been excellent, but the gig at Cardiff’s Top Rank in 83 or 84 was dreadful and they were pathetic at the Tramshed a couple of years ago. That was especially annoying as I’d seen them in Bristol a few months beforehand and they were superb on that occasion.
    I'm glad you said that about the Tramshed gig. I hadn't seen them before but went to that gig and swore I wouldn't bother again. Maybe I just them on a bad night.

Saw Rainbow in the 80's and they were rubbish. As much as I enjoyed Blackmore's playing on the early Deep Purple albums he was unable or unwilling to faithfully replicate his guitar solos at a Purple concert in the mid 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I'm glad you said that about the Tramshed gig. I hadn't seen them before but went to that gig and swore I wouldn't bother again. Maybe I just them on a bad night.
    I've never seen PiL but like some of their music and was thinking about going to the Tramshed gig. Sounds like I didn't miss much

On holiday in southern France I went to a Gary Moore concert. Throughout his show he appeared to be totally disinterested and finished playing after only an hour. No encore either despite a surprisingly good reception from the French audience. Most disappointing.

Elvis Costello at Glastonbury in 83 or so. Expecting Oliver's Army , Chelsea etc and he played a 3 hour set of Country and Western!

Also Hawkwind at Donnington around the same time. Weird set with 2 girls painted as silver robots dancing on stage.

On The other hand, was given tickets to watch Depeche Mode in Barcelona when living there in 2011. Never was a fan but went anyway. They played to a packed house of 20k and were really good.

Some more bands that weren't as good as I hoped for, all seen at the Tramshed in the last few years, Canned Heat, Hawkwind, Govt Mule.
    Canned Heat were the best of that group

I saw Fleetwood Mac, around 87. Their support band 'The Adventures' stole the show, they were fab.

Black Sabbath fronted by Ian Gillan at Reading oh dear me ??

Of the big heavy rock bands at the beginning of the 70's, for me it was Led Zep that I enjoyed least, probably due to Robert Plant's posing on stage. Much preferred Deep Purple and Sabbath but both these bands were blown out of the water when I saw Jethro Tull and Wishbone Ash at the Capitol. Even now they are in my top 5 gigs of all time.

The Stones last year were great.I saw them years ago at the arms park they were average
    I once saw John Wetton ex asia and family in ebbw vale,
    he was dreadful I swear to this day he must have sent someone esle in his place

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Elvis Costello at Glastonbury in 83 or so. Expecting Oliver's Army , Chelsea etc and he played a 3 hour set of Country and Western!

Also Hawkwind at Donnington around the same time. Weird set with 2 girls painted as silver robots dancing on stage.

On The other hand, was given tickets to watch Depeche Mode in Barcelona when living there in 2011. Never was a fan but went anyway. They played to a packed house of 20k and were really good.
    Saw Elvis Costello 3 times live in '77, '78 and '79. Bored the pants off me each time. I only went along coz my mates at the time were into him. Best moment was when Dave Edmunds joined him for the encore of 'Mystery Dance' in '79 at Sophia gardens Pavilion

Could never figure out why Hawkwind played the 'Monsters of Money' aka 'Monsters of Rock' at Donington in '82 (I think it was). They were the total opposite of the spectrum to the commercial rock bands playing the event, and in those days were the kings of the free festival scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Freddie Mercury being compared to Beethoven and Mozart-Did you really just do that?
    No I was saying that just because music is, as you call it, "meaningless," that doesn't mean that it isn't good music.

Freddie Mercury isn't the entirety of Queen, as you know. Their music is probably just as popular as any music is worldwide and will probably still be popular in two hundred years time, like Mozart and Beethoven are now. They have catchy tunes and decent playing, easy-to-remember lyrics and beautiful harmonies.

I expect that you will disagree with my views but, then again, you are VERY opinionated.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    No I was saying that just because music is, as you call it, "meaningless," that doesn't mean that it isn't good music.

Freddie Mercury isn't the entirety of Queen, as you know. Their music is probably just as popular as any music is worldwide and will probably still be popular in two hundred years time, like Mozart and Beethoven are now. They have catchy tunes and decent playing, easy-to-remember lyrics and beautiful harmonies.

I expect that you will disagree with my views but, then again, you are VERY opinionated.
    Yup, i disagree with your views.

James earlier this summer in Toronto. They were touring with The Psychedelic Furs who put them to shame.

I’m all for bands playing new stuff but mix it in with the stuff people come to see you for.... James have some excellent early stuff but the only song the majority of the 2000 crowd knew was ‘Laid’ and Tim Booth even announced before they played it that it was a spur of the moment thing to even play that. Everyone in the crowd was pissed off that Sit Down didn’t get played.

Must say I've never wanted a band that disappointed me to die, so quite an extreme topic title.

...Mrs just said she saw Bowie at Wembley....Glass Spider Tour..
    I quote...
    the biggest heap of shit ever witnessed.... ever..in the world..