+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Playing out from the back

Re: Playing out from the back

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Love that football is heading in this direction. How can anyone hate watching this
    Apparently, in the 1870s, Scotland bamboozled the English by passing the ball. Before that, football was largely a game where one player would run as far as he could with the ball until he lost it.

I think playing out from the back, can look clever and controlled, and I do like to see it, but to me it can only work with a settled defence.

That was a thing of beauty. Extremely well executed but not without risk. It's also not a great example. It doesn't have to be like that. When the goalie has the opportunity and the outfield player is well placed pass the ball. If not, do something else.

It just seems obvious to me that in the game of football when you can, pass to one of your own players. Hoofing upfield and hoping for the best should be a last resort. That's not to say you can't go long to someone running into space, but booting into the pack when you can actually use your feet and hand to control the ball just seems a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Looking forward to hearing all about what Ron Atkinson did at Peterborough.

Let's play "guess what Ronnie is talking about". My guess is John Beck at Cambridge.
    Come on ronniebird, what did you want to say about Ron Atkinson's stint in charge of Peterborough?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Apparently, in the 1870s, Scotland bamboozled the English by passing the ball. Before that, football was largely a game where one player would run as far as he could with the ball until he lost it.
    Gavin Whyte would’ve excelled at football if he was born 150 years earlier then

Fulham caught again today !!!

When will they learn that they’re not good enough to do it ?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    a great example of the modern game

What shit defending by the team in yellow.