+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playing out from the back

Playing out from the back

Who started this crap. Was it Man City.?

I really don't know.

After Arses performance today it must be on the way out.

The old goal kick is a collosal advantage for defenders.
    This tippy tappy we can do anything we want is garbage. It's actually making footballers that are paid millions a year look pathetic.

It's a game I love but FFS coaches drop this nonsense.

Re: Playing out from the back

After the Otamendi and Stones show yesterday Man City may well stop it aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post

I really don't know.

This tippy tappy we can do anything we want is garbage. It's actually making footballers that are paid millions a year look pathetic.

I am not sure whether the team that has won the Premier League for the last two seasons started it but it's possible they could re-evaluate and sign a 6ft 4 inch centre forward and Etheridge in January, sack Guardiola and piss the League on route 1 football, I suppose.

I’ve noticed this season a lot of teams using the new goal kick rule to pass it about a bit only to give it back to the keeper who then whacks it upfield!? What’s the point in that?

When done right it is a great tactic. I was watching the Leipzig v Bayern game yesterday and some of the suicide passes to players inside their own box were breathtaking, but they somehow managed to pull it off. It's quite exciting to see defenders ping the ball around when the opposition players are so near. They must spend a lot of time doing drills for this sort of thing, but the German teams do get hold of their 1st team players when they are very young, so good technique and discipline is instilled into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    When done right it is a great tactic. I was watching the Leipzig v Bayern game yesterday and some of the suicide passes to players inside their own box were breathtaking, but they somehow managed to pull it off. It's quite exciting to see defenders ping the ball around when the opposition players are so near. They must spend a lot of time doing drills for this sort of thing, but the German teams do get hold of their 1st team players when they are very young, so good technique and discipline is instilled into them.
    Exciting? Not for me. Wales do it badly enough for my liking. I don’t want to see it from our lads at CCS. The opposition? Carry on and await the gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Exciting? Not for me. Wales do it badly enough for my liking. I don’t want to see it from our lads at CCS. The opposition? Carry on and await the gift.
    The players themselves have to be capable of playing this way. I don't think you can teach an established pro to suddenly become ball playing centre-half, and that is why many of them look uncomfortable. It's probably a better idea if you can coach the players while they are still learning the game. Leipzig have got a cracking young French lad who is only 20, and it's only a matter of time before he joins one of the big European clubs.

Incidentally, I think this may be one of the reasons why Ampadu hasn't played for them yet. He is clearly a very gifted ball playing defensive minded player, but he hasn't got the required passing speed or the intensity to slot into the team. This is not his fault as its down to coaching he received at Chelsea, but Nagelsmann has identified a few issues and said he will give the player some time to adapt. It should turn out to be a great loan move him, which will benefit Wales and Chelsea in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fancydan View Post
    I’ve noticed this season a lot of teams using the new goal kick rule to pass it about a bit only to give it back to the keeper who then whacks it upfield!? What’s the point in that?
    And there's been a few feck ups as well, like Arsenal today .

The tactic I presume is too invite the opposing team forwarss nearer to you , too create bigger gaps between the opposition's midfield and its forward line , allowing you to play amongst the spaces , I might be wrong , it doesnt seem sensible to start playing from so deep in your own half otherwise .??

It is really tedious to watch, especially when people crow over possession stats. We don't want to see players like Dunk and Maguire having more touches than De Bruyne and Brooks. The game was better when your playmaker dropped deep to start attacks.

I really don't know.

Pep started it all the way back when in charge with Barcelona. Its all his fault.

Because its the only way to be classed a footballing side. Doesn't matter if your players aren't quite good enough to carry it out and end up losing it or often passing it back to the keeper to hoof.

Without it you are proper old school and we dont like your sort around here.

Barca for a while were beautiful at it to be fair, but I do cringe a bit when 90% of teams try it. Thought man city were usually decent but otamendi was just far too casual and over confident and I enjoyed that goal.

I really don't know.

Yep it's clearly on it's way out after Norwich played through Man City without playing Callum Paterson as number 10 Saturday!

Using the words "tippy tappy" doesn't prove you right by the way

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Yep it's clearly on it's way out after Norwich played through Man City without playing Callum Paterson as number 10 Saturday!

Using the words "tippy tappy" doesn't prove you right by the way
    Agreed it’s still the most effective way to play if done right and with the right players.

It’s weird it’s seen as a thing to criticise on here. A weird reverse snobbery.

IMG_20190916_153322.jpg

Clubs are mixing it up a bit in general

Quote Originally Posted by Fancydan View Post
    If they are either i) checking to see if passing out from the back is on before identifying it's well covered or ii) reminding the opposition they need to think about defending a different style then it's a good tactic. I can't imagine they're doing it for no reasons.

It's the ability to play more than one style, or at least attempt it reasonably well, that is important.

Awful football. They need to sell Pukki (or give him away cos he's shit) and buy Paterson if they can afford him and he can flick it on when they lump it up to him.

Now that's football.

Literally came here to post this

Norwich should stick to putting it in the mixer, or just rolling over for Man City like we did last season.

So tippy tappy nonsense Man City were beaten by tippy tappy nonsense Norwich.

The OP won't like that.

How many goals would teams need to concede as a result of their playing it out from the back policy for them to reconsider their approach? Suppose it would vary from club to club, but I would guess there needs a few more into the Man City net before they drop all this foreign nonsense and start playing good, traditional, roast beef, Yorkshire pud and two veg English football.

Does the OP have the worst opinions of anyone on this board?

I think it's like the debate on another thread about the different playing styles of Cardiff and Fulham. Do either of them well (either a possession based approach that opens up defences or a quick front to back approach that puts a premium on creating chances for fast and skilful attacking players) and either works, or do them badly (boring and slow pass-pass-pass sideways or backwards with no threat or lump it inaccurately up to the big man or isolated winger and hope for the best) and neither works.

Passing out from the back to keep possession and draw in the press to create space behind for accurate passes to runners, with a team that has skill, confidence and football intelligence is great. Or there's the Arsenal way which often isn't.

It would be suicide for us at the moment if the opposition are pressing, and none of our goalkeepers are accurate enough with their kicking to draw the opposition in and play over them to free players in the midfield.

I'm absolutely delighted to see that many people can see the realities here.
    Only a while back people were hankering after a kind of football which is of doubtful value and which ,to be frank, we couldn't manage anyway.
    I'm even more delighted to see some great posts from Jon 1959, who is now revealing an intelligent and analytical side.

The main problem right now is that we're not yet playing our own game as well as we did before. The new players aren't picking up loose balls as regularly as Gunarsson and Arter did, the long balls up aren't as good and people aren't getting onto them as well as they did. The good news though, is that unlike the Carlos Fandango method, this style can be taught and drilled into almost any professional footballer and given that we've got plenty of raw talent we can expect fantastic improvements once they've git it right .

Losing possession when playing out from the back doesn't necessarily result in goals. If you have the right type of players who can perform well in this system, it will usually results in more points gained than are lost. Regarding goalkeepers, Manual Neuer is great when he plays as an extra defender to beat the opposition press.

This system is pointless for teams like Cardiff though, who simply don't have the players. It may be different for Wales in a few years time, as Mepham, Rodon and Ampadu are all comfortable playing it on the deck and keeping possession.