+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Don't mind relegation from PL. Prefer the Championship."

Re: "Don't mind relegation from PL. Prefer the Championship."

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I never understood the ‘I prefer the Championship’ argue aside from the fact that we weren’t ever going to rip up The Premier League. Surely every team strives for maximum success, and in all countries that is playing in the highest league.

And as you say, The Championship is very bland unless you are being successful. So far this season I have actually been bored watching us, and that certainly wasn’t the case last year!
    With respect the boredom comes from our style of play not the division we are in.
    I doubt the Jacks or Leeds are bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Tell that to Norwich.

Wolves, Watford , Leicester are all able to compete with everyone outside Lpool and Man City.
    I'm not saying I don't want our club to be in the premiership. I do, because it's progress from the championship. I'd just rather watch us on our journey than at our destination because while the quality of opposition is clearly far greater in the prem, the level of entertainment is (for me) lower. Because I already know the result in 70% of the games in that league.

If we were a Watford then I might prefer life in the prem for a bit, but where are they going to get to? Everton? if there is one set of fans that I really don't envy, it is Everton fans. Decades of nothing - what's the point? If you are not competing in your competition (and they are not, they've been making up the numbers for years) then I just don't understand the excitement. If you can't win it, it's not a competition. You can improve year on year, but only so far. Qualifying for europe so you can earn more money? Yawn.

The league is a closed competition unless you've got a few billion to buy in. The only memorable season for me in the last 20 years or so in the EPL has been the one that Leicester won. For any other season, one of Man Utd, Chelsea or City probably won it but I've no idea which one did, in, say, 2012 and I don't care. Because they are all the same to me - playing a different game with different money. It's dull beyond description. I've got a far better chance of telling you the superbowl champions in that year because that is an actual competition where fairness is baked into the allocation of talent and therefore interesting (it was the Giants, who probably won't make the playoffs this season).

The championship is hardly the world's best example of a level playing field but the difference between the clubs is so much smaller than it is in the EPL that everyone has a legitmate chance of survival; at least half the division has a legitimate chance of promotion and at least half a dozen teams could win it.

Ultimately I suppose I do want the club to be Everton, but I'd much rather watch us being cardiff city in the championship fighting to get there than I would turning up once we'd arrived, knowing that we'd not lose to the bottom six; not beat the top six and fight it out for a meaningless mid-table position against the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Random question, but suppose City sustained a number of years in the Premier League and became established as a mid-table side that flirted with Europe. Would you walk away?
    I know Stoke fans that stopped going when they were in the same position. It gets dull after a while, you're constantly making up the numbers to the top 6.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    With respect the boredom comes from our style of play not the division we are in.
    I doubt the Jacks or Leeds are bored.
    It wasn't boring last season though. Or the season before.

17/18 was one of the best seasons I can remember. It was brilliant.

We’ve changed our style to a more extreme version of “Warnockball”.
    We were far better on the ball last season but I think that had alot to do with Camarasa and Arter.
    The season before we were unplayable at times but that was a lot to do with an in from KZ and flying wingers.
    We haven’t been anything like that for two years though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    We’ve changed our style to a more extreme version of “Warnockball”.
    We were far better on the ball last season but I think that had alot to do with Camarasa.
    The season before we were unplayable at times but that was a lot to do with an in from KZ and flying wingers.
    We haven’t been anything like that for two years though.
    Fixed it

We were good until about Christmas (at home) in 17/18. Then we got over the line but we'd been playing like that away from home all season and we went back to "basics". We've never got out of that style. I think we'll be better when Pack gets back, although how we fit Pack, Bacuna and Ralls into the same team, I'm not sure; while who we play in front 2 of them is a mystery. Perhaps we'll have a good January because we haven't had a good window since summer 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I know Stoke fans that stopped going when they were in the same position. It gets dull after a while, you're constantly making up the numbers to the top 6.
    I've got mates who are Baggies fans. They used to get season tickets for the championship years and drop them for the premiership years. Not just the boredom of not seeing a win (or even a goal) for weeks on end, but also Sky messing around with fixtures etc.

I didn't think I'd say this but I miss the Prem. It was good being in the limelight, albeit well below the coverage the top 6 get. Looking forward to another promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Looking forward to another promotion.
    I wouldn't hold your breath

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I've got mates who are Baggies fans. They used to get season tickets for the championship years and drop them for the premiership years. Not just the boredom of not seeing a win (or even a goal) for weeks on end, but also Sky messing around with fixtures etc.
    I agree with Sky but its happening in the Championship. We'll have two home Saturday 3pm kick offs until November.

Just to continue this "debate" a little....Would anyone prefer to be 12th in the Championship instead of 12th in the Premier League. And is finishing 12th in the Premier League, maybe even consistently so, such an impossibility ?

It hasn’t helped that both our seasons in the EPL , we haven’t really given ourselves a chance to survive. Had we spent the time in the division teams like BHA,Bournemouth,Burnley,etc have spent then people might feel different about the EPL?

Our 1st attempt was doomed the moment Malky and Tan fell out , the off field fighting seemed to affect the players and then we then gambled on OGS who just wasn’t the right man for a team in a relegation fight.

Last season, we all knew we needed to sign a striker in the summer transfer window but instead we built a team on a relative shoestring budget and obviously the Sala tragedy impacted the 2nd half of the season as we will never know if he could have scored enough goals to keep us up especially as we outperformed BHA over the second half of the season but the 7 point lead they had built over first half of the season proved too much !

This season , we seem to be suffering from a relegation hangover having lost the guts of a team built last season to be competitive in the Championship should we be relegated () Maybe we should revisit this thread around April to see what the “enjoyment “ level has been ?

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    It hasn’t helped that both our seasons in the EPL , we haven’t really given ourselves a chance to survive. Had we spent the time in the division teams like BHA,Bournemouth,Burnley,etc have spent then people might feel different about the EPL?

Our 1st attempt was doomed the moment Malky and Tan fell out , the off field fighting seemed to affect the players and then we then gambled on OGS who just wasn’t the right man for a team in a relegation fight.

Last season, we all knew we needed to sign a striker in the summer transfer window but instead we built a team on a relative shoestring budget and obviously the Sala tragedy impacted the 2nd half of the season as we will never know if he could have scored enough goals to keep us up especially as we outperformed BHA over the second half of the season but the 7 point lead they had built over first half of the season proved too much !

This season , we seem to be suffering from a relegation hangover having lost the guts of a team built last season to be competitive in the Championship should we be relegated () Maybe we should revisit this thread around April to see what the “enjoyment “ level has been ?
    We had every chance first time around-malky was given plenty of money to spend. He just didn't know what to do with it. Last season's effort was definitely better.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Just to continue this "debate" a little....Would anyone prefer to be 12th in the Championship instead of 12th in the Premier League. And is finishing 12th in the Premier League, maybe even consistently so, such an impossibility ?
    Finishing 12th is a possibility but that's as good as it's ever going to get. That's the issue. It isn't as simple as saying 12th in the Championship or 12th in the Prem because we should never be in a position where 12th in the Championship is as good as it will ever get. We've not finished lower than 12th for years. We're not a Burton, Rotherham etc, we should always be challenging and for the last ten years we have been.

In the Championship, we can compete, finish between 1st and 16th and kick on. In the Prem, we'd have a great season if we came 15th. It would get tiring after a while because there's not a cat in hell's chance we could compete with the top 6, or even the chasing 3/4.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    We had every chance first time around-malky was given plenty of money to spend. He just didn't know what to do with it. Last season's effort was definitely better.
    Malky was backed , I didn’t say he wasn’t but the whole thing got soured by their fall out and we compounded the problem with the wrong manager when Malky was replaced.
    Last season felt better but had we been more productive in the summer transfer window we may have stayed up

In the last promotion season I don’t think I missed watching any game but our fantastic start kept me fully engaged. I know I didn’t miss a single minute of any game last season.

This season, even on a Saturday I’m already not fully prioritizing my time so I can watch us. That may change if we get into contention or even if we get into a relegation fight, but from what I’ve seen so far neither are likely to happen and when I do watch I always seem to find myself on that passion/frustration seesaw. Unfortunately there feels like, at the moment, there’s a 25 stone monster in the playground and he’s choosing to sit on the frustration side of that seesaw

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Finishing 12th is a possibility but that's as good as it's ever going to get. That's the issue. It isn't as simple as saying 12th in the Championship or 12th in the Prem because we should never be in a position where 12th in the Championship is as good as it will ever get. We've not finished lower than 12th for years. We're not a Burton, Rotherham etc, we should always be challenging and for the last ten years we have been.

In the Championship, we can compete, finish between 1st and 16th and kick on. In the Prem, we'd have a great season if we came 15th. It would get tiring after a while because there's not a cat in hell's chance we could compete with the top 6, or even the chasing 3/4.
    Is that a “yes” or “no”, then ?