+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Vincent Tan collaboration with Sporting

Vincent Tan collaboration with Sporting

Interesting item today from Wales Online:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...rdiff-16924936

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan on Friday played host to the top brass of Portuguese giants Sporting CP, reportedly to discuss collaborating in the future.

Sporting's CEO Miguel Cal and the club's head of international business development, Nuno Fernando Cardoso, met Tan at Berjaya Times Square Hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia's capital.

The Sun Daily report that the meeting was organised because Sporting are particularly keen to collaborate with key Malaysian football figures.

As well as Cardiff City, Tan owns Belgian Belgian First Division KV Kortrijk and Bosnian club FK Sarajevo and is co-owner of MLS side Los Angeles FC.

It is claimed Sporting are eager to work with Tan's network of clubs in hope of creating an agreement which will mutually benefit all involved.

The Portuguese club are particularly excited by the prospect of working with Tan owing to his experience of working in the US and the success he has brought Cardiff City during his reign as Bluebirds owner.

Cardiff have reaped rewards from Tan's football network before. They signed Kenneth Zohore from KV Kortrijk in 2016 and this summer sold him to West Brom for £8million, making the Welsh club a massive profit.

Bluebirds fans will hope Cardiff can enjoy a similar relationship with a club of Sporting's standing, with the Portuguese outfit having produced the world-class talents of Luis Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo in recent years.

Small point, but didn't Wales Online report a few months back that Tan had sold his controlling interest in Sarajevo?

On a more important point, could this be a link that would give Cardiff access to the Portugese talent pool that Wolves were fishing in, and maybe to some greater football expertise in the club (boardroom or coaching staff)?

Or is it just hot air and OTT speculation?

Re: Vincent Tan collaboration with Sporting

Tan has definitely sold his stake in Sarajevo, he helped them out recently though.

I'd be very surprised if Sporting were giving us players though!

Sold his stake in LA too didn’t he? For a lot.....

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Interesting item today from Wales Online:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...rdiff-16924936

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan on Friday played host to the top brass of Portuguese giants Sporting CP, reportedly to discuss collaborating in the future.

Sporting's CEO Miguel Cal and the club's head of international business development, Nuno Fernando Cardoso, met Tan at Berjaya Times Square Hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia's capital.

The Sun Daily report that the meeting was organised because Sporting are particularly keen to collaborate with key Malaysian football figures.

As well as Cardiff City, Tan owns Belgian Belgian First Division KV Kortrijk and Bosnian club FK Sarajevo and is co-owner of MLS side Los Angeles FC.

It is claimed Sporting are eager to work with Tan's network of clubs in hope of creating an agreement which will mutually benefit all involved.

The Portuguese club are particularly excited by the prospect of working with Tan owing to his experience of working in the US and the success he has brought Cardiff City during his reign as Bluebirds owner.

Cardiff have reaped rewards from Tan's football network before. They signed Kenneth Zohore from KV Kortrijk in 2016 and this summer sold him to West Brom for £8million, making the Welsh club a massive profit.

Bluebirds fans will hope Cardiff can enjoy a similar relationship with a club of Sporting's standing, with the Portuguese outfit having produced the world-class talents of Luis Figo and Cristiano Ronaldo in recent years.

Small point, but didn't Wales Online report a few months back that Tan had sold his controlling interest in Sarajevo?

On a more important point, could this be a link that would give Cardiff access to the Portugese talent pool that Wolves were fishing in, and maybe to some greater football expertise in the club (boardroom or coaching staff)?

Or is it just hot air and OTT speculation?
    Another small point is that we signed Zohore from Kortrijk on loan to get around a transfer embargo. He’d never played for Kortrijk - they signed him purely to loan him to us in what was clearly a very flexible approach to the rules.

Sporting are my second team as my fiancee supports them. Sadly they are in a bit of a mess financially (and otherwise) at the moment, so no surprise they seem to be shopping around for any way to get a bit of cash. Apparently they have to give a big chunk of any transfer fee over 9m Euros to the bank, and are suffering from missing out on the Champions League. Not to mention still dealing with the fallout of the attack on their players at the training ground a while ago which (court case pending) may have been ordered by their club president at the time.
    They do have an absolutely incredible academy, so any opportunity for players would be great - although Portuguese players generally seem to be the least suited to Warnock's style.

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    Sporting are my second team as my fiancee supports them. Sadly they are in a bit of a mess financially (and otherwise) at the moment, so no surprise they seem to be shopping around for any way to get a bit of cash. Apparently they have to give a big chunk of any transfer fee over 9m Euros to the bank, and are suffering from missing out on the Champions League. Not to mention still dealing with the fallout of the attack on their players at the training ground a while ago which (court case pending) may have been ordered by their club president at the time.
    They do have an absolutely incredible academy, so any opportunity for players would be great - although Portuguese players generally seem to be the least suited to Warnock's style.
    Sadly your last sentence is bang on. Still, if the deal comes off and NW has gone at the end of the season then bring on the talented Portuguese players.

I'd love us to be called Sporting Cardiff.

There is absolutely no benefit from Tan involved in Sporting. The club is light years ahead of Cardiff, and any investment in that club is well worth it if they can get the economy up and running.

The only thing you can read into this is Tan has abandoned ship in Cardiff, and the club is on its own until sold.

Not at any time will a Sporting player be shipped to Wales. Not to Cardiff anyways..

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    There is absolutely no benefit from Tan involved in Sporting. The club is light years ahead of Cardiff, and any investment in that club is well worth it if they can get the economy up and running.

The only thing you can read into this is Tan has abandoned ship in Cardiff, and the club is on its own until sold.

Not at any time will a Sporting player be shipped to Wales. Not to Cardiff anyways..
    To be fair the club president paying a load of thugs to batter their best players does represent a club that is well ran.

I'm quite sure as the previous poster's message indicated, the manner in which they are being ran has probably hindered them from winning a 3 team league.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post

I know it’s the in thing to say about ya, and it’s usually not far off, but they seem to be in a bit of a state. Hardly light years ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'd love us to be called Sporting Cardiff.
    We are CITY till we die!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    To be fair the club president paying a load of thugs to batter their best players does represent a club that is well ran.

I'm quite sure as the previous poster's message indicated, the manner in which they are being ran has probably hindered them from winning a 3 team league.
    I dont know about their president. But having worked with their academy the past year, I recon they are light years ahead. They are packed with uefa pro coaches developing youngsters. I’m not sure there is one at Cardiff. And they develop a totally different type of football. No chance.

2017-2018: Sure, Wolves may be top but they're just a super-agents plaything. How could football fans want that for their club?
    2019-2020: This is interesting. With Warnock going at the end of the year a developing relationship with Portugese team and their revered academy could be the off the field work we have been hoping for to take us onto the next level.

I definitely remember the story about Tan selling his stake in LA to "spend more time on Cardiff" being reported in Walesonline though.