Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

  1. #1

    Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Anyone ?

  2. #2

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    City won 3-2 and I think he played the 90 mins.
    Madine, Vassell and Bolger were the scorers.

  3. #3

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Thank you

  4. #4

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Anyone ?
    Here's a match report, sounds like he played well.

    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...3-cardiff-city

  5. #5

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Happy that he appears to be on his way to full fitness and take his place on the bench until such time Smithies needs to be relieved of his current position which, in my view, is not yet. Perhaps, not at all ?

  6. #6

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Anyone ?
    I thought you were the insider! 😉

  7. #7

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Happy that he appears to be on his way to full fitness and take his place on the bench until such time Smithies needs to be relieved of his current position which, in my view, is not yet. Perhaps, not at all ?
    As soon as he's fully fit, he has to come back in. He's a much better keeper than Smithies.

  8. #8

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    As soon as he's fully fit, he has to come back in. He's a much better keeper than Smithies.
    What does Etheridge do much better than Smithies?

  9. #9

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    What does Etheridge do much better than Smithies?
    In any other position, it would be a no brainer. Smithies has done well but Etheridge is a better shot stopper, the defence are more comfortable playing in front of him and he's better at coming for crosses etc. He's clearly better.

  10. #10

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Isn't Smithies officially the first-choice 'keeper? Etheridge was brought in as a bench warmer was he not?

  11. #11

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    In any other position, it would be a no brainer. Smithies has done well but Etheridge is a better shot stopper, the defence are more comfortable playing in front of him and he's better at coming for crosses etc. He's clearly better.
    Smithies is improving with every game . He is probably a better all round keeper than Etheridge and should retain the jersey as he has been improving with every game .
    I didn't think that after 2 games though ......

  12. #12

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Isn't Smithies officially the first-choice 'keeper? Etheridge was brought in as a bench warmer was he not?
    For Lee Camp but quickly established himself as the best Keeper at the club.
    Smithies was signed a year after but didnít think it was to be our number 1 after the good season NE had.

  13. #13

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Smithies is improving with every game . He is probably a better all round keeper than Etheridge and should retain the jersey as he has been improving with every game .
    I didn't think that after 2 games though ......
    Smithies is getting better but Etheridge has so much credit in the bank, I know what I'd do.

  14. #14

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Smithies is getting better but Etheridge has so much credit in the bank, I know what I'd do.
    Get Smithies to give Etheridge lessons in kicking & distribution? Can we merge them?

  15. #15

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Get Smithies to give Etheridge lessons in kicking & distribution? Can we merge them?
    As we well know, Des, accurate distribution is low on Neil's list of priorities!
    My gut feeling is that Etheridge improves the defence and while I wouldn't bring him back just yet, I would sooner than later.

  16. #16

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Get Smithies to give Etheridge lessons in kicking & distribution? Can we merge them?
    Etheridge has got a bit better, I'm not sure how we managed to sign Day who is even worse

  17. #17

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Etheridge has got a bit better, I'm not sure how we managed to sign Day who is even worse
    Etheridge was better at the beginning of last season, but he had regressed by the end of it and was regularly kicking the ball straight out of play or along the ground to an opposition player.

  18. #18

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Etheridge was better at the beginning of last season, but he had regressed by the end of it and was regularly kicking the ball straight out of play or along the ground to an opposition player.
    Smithies distribution is very good

  19. #19

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Either way I think we have 2 very good 'keepers in Smithies and Etheridge. I wonder if this situation can continue. When we are rid of Warnock at the end of the season, if they are both still with us, I wonder which a new manager would choose ? I don't think either would settle for being second string as they are both good enough for first string elsewhere and probably have ambitions as such. Perhaps one will be gone in January.

  20. #20

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Either way I think we have 2 very good 'keepers in Smithies and Etheridge. I wonder if this situation can continue. When we are rid of Warnock at the end of the season, if they are both still with us, I wonder which a new manager would choose ? I don't think either would settle for being second string as they are both good enough for first string elsewhere and probably have ambitions as such. Perhaps one will be gone in January.
    I'm pretty sure that Day was signed as cover as Neil was expecting Smithies to be off. Etheridge's injury buggered that idea.

  21. #21

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Day was signed as cover as Neil was expecting Smithies to be off. Etheridge's injury buggered that idea.
    I suspect youíre right although I would hope that Warnockís preference is based on sound footballing reasons and not anything else.

  22. #22

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I suspect youíre right although I would hope that Warnockís preference is based on sound footballing reasons and not anything else.
    Warnock has his favourites so if Smithies face doesn't quite fit he will be off.
    Not sure if you're suggesting anything untoward though 🤔

  23. #23

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Warnock has his favourites so if Smithies face doesn't quite fit he will be off.
    Not sure if you're suggesting anything untoward though ��
    No, I’m not. Warnock appears to take against players, for whatever reason, at the drop of a hat. Quite rightly, we never really find out but it did occur to me that Warnock, of all the managers we have had since I’ve been watching (which is a long time), seems to take against players more than any of his predecessors. Just an impression, perhaps an incorrect one

  24. #24

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I suspect you’re right although I would hope that Warnock’s preference is based on sound footballing reasons and not anything else.
    He did sign Smithies. Perhaps he didn't (understandably) fancy another year warming the bench when he could easily be starting for other Championship sides.

  25. #25

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    No, Iím not. Warnock appears to take against players, for whatever reason, at the drop of a hat. Quite rightly, we never really find out but it did occur to me that Warnock, of all the managers we have had since Iíve been watching (which is a long time), seems to take against players more than any of his predecessors. Just an impression, perhaps an incorrect one
    I think you have summed him up to a T .

  26. #26

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He did sign Smithies. Perhaps he didn't (understandably) fancy another year warming the bench when he could easily be starting for other Championship sides.
    .

    Agreed, which is a point I made earlier in the thread. I think Smithies was signed as first choice and his injury early last season together with Etheridge turning out to be much better than anyone expected has resulted in the embarrassment of riches in this position. One will definitely go I just wonder what the determining factor will be.

  27. #27

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    .

    Agreed, which is a point I made earlier in the thread. I think Smithies was signed as first choice and his injury early last season together with Etheridge turning out to be much better than anyone expected has resulted in the embarrassment of riches in this position. One will definitely go I just wonder what the determining factor will be.
    I don't think Smithies was signed as an out and out number 1, just that we needed two keepers to challenge each other. Etheridge was outstanding in the second half of 17/18, and carried that into 18/19. If Etheridge got injured like he did vs Wigan in the Bournemouth game, we'd have played Brian Murphy for two months.

  28. #28

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    As soon as he's fully fit, he has to come back in. He's a much better keeper than Smithies.
    agreed

  29. #29
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    8,697

    Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

    Neil Warnock in the pre-Boro press conference today:

    10:42
    Warnock on the competition for the No. 1 jersey
    You see the season he had last season, it was a tremendous season. I bought Alex to give him competition and thatís what heís done, two of the best keepers in our division.

    Sol Bamba told me he was fit three weeks ago and I almost agreed with him and Neil has had quite a severe hamstring thing, same with Marlon (Pack), youíve just got to be careful.Ē


    10:41
    Etheridge update
    I donít know yet. I will be speaking to Neil. Youíve just got to be so careful, players always tell you they are fit. I will speak to them both today, but I think Alex (Smithies) has done well as well.Ē


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •