+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

Re: Any news on Etheridge in the development squad today

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He did sign Smithies. Perhaps he didn't (understandably) fancy another year warming the bench when he could easily be starting for other Championship sides.

Agreed, which is a point I made earlier in the thread. I think Smithies was signed as first choice and his injury early last season together with Etheridge turning out to be much better than anyone expected has resulted in the embarrassment of riches in this position. One will definitely go I just wonder what the determining factor will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post

Agreed, which is a point I made earlier in the thread. I think Smithies was signed as first choice and his injury early last season together with Etheridge turning out to be much better than anyone expected has resulted in the embarrassment of riches in this position. One will definitely go I just wonder what the determining factor will be.
    I don't think Smithies was signed as an out and out number 1, just that we needed two keepers to challenge each other. Etheridge was outstanding in the second half of 17/18, and carried that into 18/19. If Etheridge got injured like he did vs Wigan in the Bournemouth game, we'd have played Brian Murphy for two months.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    As soon as he's fully fit, he has to come back in. He's a much better keeper than Smithies.
    agreed

Neil Warnock in the pre-Boro press conference today:

10:42
    Warnock on the competition for the No. 1 jersey
    You see the season he had last season, it was a tremendous season. I bought Alex to give him competition and that’s what he’s done, two of the best keepers in our division.

Sol Bamba told me he was fit three weeks ago and I almost agreed with him and Neil has had quite a severe hamstring thing, same with Marlon (Pack), you’ve just got to be careful.”

10:41
    Etheridge update
    I don’t know yet. I will be speaking to Neil. You’ve just got to be so careful, players always tell you they are fit. I will speak to them both today, but I think Alex (Smithies) has done well as well.”