Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
Cocu was an ambitious appointment which looked quite exciting when he was appointed but he seems to be more Van Gaal than Guardiola at the moment.

Perhaps it's a bit unfair cos they lost a lot of attacking talent in the summer so inevitably they were gonna take a bit of a dip.

When it comes to us, I don't think every opposition manager can be wrong. Our fans have turned on Klopp, Guardiola and just about every other manager we have faced when they address our style of play.

Having listened to Stuart Webber when he was talking about Norwich when he highlighted one club he wouldn't pay to watch it was Cardiff City!

It can't all be a conspiracy against us. I dont know if you watched monday night football last night Bob but there was a superb appraisal by Gary Neville as to how football has evolved for the better in the last couple of years.

https://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/...eptember-2019/

Unfortunately for us we're being left behind.
Thanks Gringo, I found that very interesting - Gary Neville, as near as damnit, said he was a dinosaur in his football thinking.

The thing is though that you only have to study Neil Warnock's public utterances for a while to discover that so much of his motivation to keep on going and to keep on putting himself through what is a very taxing job for someone of his age especially is the desire to prove people (e.g. former Chairmen he's worked for) wrong. That's why I can imagine him watching that on Monday and muttering to himself that he'll show them - stuff like Neville and Carrager said would make him more determined to stick to his guns.

As someone who is not that much younger than Neil Warnock, I can say that some of that stubborness comes with age, but I think it's likely that its always been there with our manager.

Although Norwich ended up with four points more last season than we got when we were promoted, I think they are a club they we can definitely compare ourselves with in this day and age in terms of size, potential and catchment area with one difference between us being how much less they've spent in the transfer market than us in the last two years or so.

It needs to be said of course that it's entirely possible that Norwich could be relegated this season with less points than we managed, but you have to say it looks unlikely at the moment. Norwich have a team that includes youth products of their's who are assets worth tens of millions of pounds, they have older players who they have brought into the club for low transfer fees that are looking completely at home in the Premier League and they are playing without fear - as proven by the fact that they have won a couple of games already by scoring three times (we only managed to score more than two in a game once last season).

A year ago this weekend, we hosted Manchester City and, just as in the FA Cup tie with them nine months earlier, set out as if we were scared stiff of them - neither match was remotely competitive. Despite those similarities I mentioned between the two clubs, we are complete opposites of Norwich and so you can easily understand why Stuart Webber is not a fan of ours!