Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

  1. #1

    Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    I used to be friendly with Phil who started the Ayatollah chant at Lincoln's Sinful Bank in 1990.

    My real claim to fame came at a match at Springfield Park, Wigan, a few years later. 3 of us were standing at the front of the muddy bank when, after about 2 minutes, we scored.

    And then we made up a chant that stuck forever....
    .............




    "LETHAL, LETHAL LYNEX"

  2. #2

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    I'm inordinately made up by my "I'm Into Something Good" which was enthusiastically adopted last season by the The Ninian.

  3. #3

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    I used to be friendly with Phil who started the Ayatollah chant at Lincoln's Sinful Bank in 1990.

    My real claim to fame came at a match at Springfield Park, Wigan, a few years later. 3 of us were standing at the front of the muddy bank when, after about 2 minutes, we scored.

    And then we made up a chant that stuck forever....
    .............




    "LETHAL, LETHAL LYNEX"
    I thought that started at Enfield in the cup in '88 - also the Lynex for England chants started and he was laughing himself - god trip that one

  4. #4

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    I'm a bit old to start chanting but I always thought City fans should be singing 'Cardiff City' instead of 'Men of Harlech'. The syllables fit and we'd make it our own.

  5. #5

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    I thought that started at Enfield in the cup in '88 - also the Lynex for England chants started and he was laughing himself - god trip that one
    I can remember singing it at Enfield.

  6. #6

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Maybe the Wigan game was earlier.

  7. #7

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I'm a bit old to start chanting but I always thought City fans should be singing 'Cardiff City' instead of 'Men of Harlech'. The syllables fit and we'd make it our own.
    Where would you go with the lyrics after the first line during which the syllables match ?

  8. #8

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Where would you go with the lyrics after the first line during which the syllables match ?
    We need some dedicated lyricists, Liverpool fans managed it 40 years ago and they're not even Welsh...

    Man Utd, hear our warning
    John Toshack is always scoring
    Then you'll hear the Kopites roaring
    Toshack is our king.
    Men of Anfield here's our story
    We have gone from great to glory
    We're the greatest team in Europe
    Toshack is our king !

  9. #9
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,350

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    We need some dedicated lyricists, Liverpool fans managed it 40 years ago and they're not even Welsh...

    Man Utd, hear our warning
    John Toshack is always scoring
    Then you'll hear the Kopites roaring
    Toshack is our king.
    Men of Anfield here's our story
    We have gone from great to glory
    We're the greatest team in Europe
    Toshack is our king !
    I saw Toshack play once. My friend said to me who's that? I said it's Toshack. He said Toshack who? I said Toshack who, who? The next minute the whole ground was singing it.

  10. #10

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    We need some dedicated lyricists, Liverpool fans managed it 40 years ago and they're not even Welsh...

    Man Utd, hear our warning
    John Toshack is always scoring
    Then you'll hear the Kopites roaring
    Toshack is our king.
    Men of Anfield here's our story
    We have gone from great to glory
    We're the greatest team in Europe
    Toshack is our king !


    Fair enough.
    Could we perhaps also reflect the role of Brian Clark though ? I always felt that he was the real talent there.

  11. #11

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    No

  12. #12

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    I was the man behind the "Accrington Stanley....who are they!?" advert in the 80s.

  13. #13

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I'm inordinately made up by my "I'm Into Something Good" which was enthusiastically adopted last season by the The Ninian.
    did you once do a drunken solo rendition of this outside the Ivor?

  14. #14

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Way too pissed to start anything up, other than the run to the toilet before half time

  15. #15

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    I used to be friendly with Phil who started the Ayatollah chant at Lincoln's Sinful Bank in 1990.

    My real claim to fame came at a match at Springfield Park, Wigan, a few years later. 3 of us were standing at the front of the muddy bank when, after about 2 minutes, we scored.

    And then we made up a chant that stuck forever....
    .............




    "LETHAL, LETHAL LYNEX"
    Ah, now maybe this thread can settle an argument that has been raging in the Dandruff household:

    My youngest claims that it was HE who introduced the Victor Camarasa song (the very catchy ‘do, do, do, Victor Camarasa’ to the tune of ‘Do The Conga’ by Black Lace 🙈) at Leicester last season BEFORE Victor scored that banger at the end, at which point the whole of our end was singing it.

    Does anyone know if it was sung prior to the Leicester away game?

    🤔

  16. #16

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    In the Grange End in either the last or penultimate season at Ninian Park and a young stewardess with big black hair tied up was standing behind the goals. I started shouting “Are you Winehouse in disguise”. Soon the whole Grange End was singing it but I felt bad when she walked away visibly upset. She appeared at only a few more games and got the same treatment, then she was no more. Sorry love

  17. #17

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    I'm pretty sure I was the first (or one of the first) to sing Ooh ahh Paul Millar, but I wouldn't be surprised if others had the same idea. Even so, it was a thrill to hear the other dozen people in the Canton Stand take it up.

  18. #18

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Has anyone successfully fooled an entire stand of people into looking at nothing? My mates and I used to try this. One of us stands up, points at something in the corner of the ground; the rest of us stand up and point and stare in the same direction. Normally a good few people sitting around us will stand up to see what's going on, but we never managed to get more than a small section of the Bob Bank to stare pointlessly at a floodlight for about 20 seconds.

  19. #19

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I'm pretty sure I was the first (or one of the first) to sing Ooh ahh Paul Millar, but I wouldn't be surprised if others had the same idea. Even so, it was a thrill to hear the other dozen people in the Canton Stand take it up.
    Or the preferred "ooh ah Stantona"

    Who the hell made that one up?
    It's so bad it's genius.

  20. #20

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Yes. The time I wore a cheerleader's outfit on the Grange End, hair in pigtails, pom poms on each hand and started "Give us a 'C'".....

  21. #21

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Cardiff City March to Glory,
    Swansea is our lavatory,
    Watch the teams all fall before thee,
    Hear ye not our call.
    Won the cup in '27,
    Always play with pride and venom,
    God supports us up in heaven,
    Every foe apall

  22. #22

    Re: Have you ever started a City song/chant that has stuck?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Cardiff City March to Glory,
    Swansea is our lavatory,
    Watch the teams all fall before thee,
    Hear ye not our call.
    Won the cup in '27,
    Always play with pride and venom,
    God supports us up in heaven,
    Every foe apall
    'bout time the 1927 thing was done away with now. Bit cringe like.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •