+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone Else?

Anyone Else?

Has the start of the Champions League group games bypassed anyone else? I hadn’t given it a thought, then someone in work mentioned that Liverpool lost last night. Started to wonder if my love of football had started to wane or are others who love the game of the same mindset?

Re: Anyone Else?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Has the start of the Champions League group games bypassed anyone else? I hadn’t given it a thought, then someone in work mentioned that Liverpool lost last night. Started to wonder if my love of football had started to wane or are others who love the game of the same mindset?
    Early group games in the Champions League have become nothing more than the equivalent of the League or FA Cup. My interest in the important games hasn’t waned - but there are way too many games of total insignificance.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Outside of actually playing the game; Cardiff City; and major international competitions I stopped following football in the early noughties. There is loads of it and most of it is rubbish. For those that can enjoy watching two teams who they don't support- good on you, I'm glad you like it. It's not for me though.

EDIT: And St Pauli games, but I rarely go now.

I didn't watch CL on itv.
    I didn't watch CL on Sky
    I haven't got BT.
    The group stages to Christmas are just a pile of crap.
    Lost interest years ago.

Is it because Man Utd have fallen away from the competition,
    so has folks interest.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Is it because Man Utd have fallen away from the competition,
    so has folks interest.
    Fair point, I did relish every defeat those horrible bastards suffered

Lost interest years ago. it's just a league/cup for the plastics and their rich European friends

Lots of folk obviously too cool for school in this thread, but Atletico v Juve last night was fantastic and good to see Ramsey play his first minutes. Last season Liverpool v Barcelona and Man City v Spurs, Ajax v Spurs were some of the most exciting top class football matches I've ever seen.

Must admit the Ashes has been my priority when it comes to televised sport in the last month or so and therefore I'm not "into" the new football season as much as I would normally be. I cannot use that as an excuse though for my complete lack of interest in the Champions League group stages, because that's been the case ever since it became a bloated money making exercise for also rans instead of the true test for genuine Champions that it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Must admit the Ashes has been my priority when it comes to televised sport in the last month or so and therefore I'm not "into" the new football season as much as I would normally be.
    THat's a good point. I said that I'd not bother with football until the Ashes were finished and I've definitely stuck to that. And it was excellent. To be honest, the NFL has now started so I'm following that rather than football. Cardiff City are different - that's not football, that's just part of who you are. But I've realised that I really don't care about watching football outside of Cardiff City, and the major international competitions. I still love the game and think it's the best one in the world and it always will be as it's great to play, but the way it is run, packaged and marketed leaves me cold.

And Freitag - it's not being too cool for school. I don't doubt that those games were amazing and I'm not suggesting that it's odd to enjoy them or anything like that. My mates still watch any and all champions league stuff. But I've got to a point where if I don't support one of the teams playing, I just don't care enough to want to watch it. I don't even read the football stuff on the back pages of the Metro any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Lots of folk obviously too cool for school in this thread, but Atletico v Juve last night was fantastic and good to see Ramsey play his first minutes. Last season Liverpool v Barcelona and Man City v Spurs, Ajax v Spurs were some of the most exciting top class football matches I've ever seen.
    Seconded

Group Stage is pretty boring tbf. You get the odd game in the final matchday that is decent if a big team is struggling but on the whole it's pretty mundane stuff. Add in the fact it's on BT now and it's easy to forget it's on.

Watched the last 20 mins of Atletico v Juve last night and it was a decent enough finish though.

Knockout rounds are amazing. Group games can be great matches but there’s a lack of importance and tension caused by seeding.

Two letters are the reason for lack of interest, “BT”

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Two letters are the reason for lack of interest, “BT”
    Yep viewing figures for BT are appalling, would be a lot more interest if it was on free to air tv.

I've been busy. So I didn't watch it. Same with last weekend. We played on Friday and then the rest of the weekend passed me by. The weather was too nice to watch TV. I didn't watch any EPL or any NFL. And once it's over I don't care. I'd watch it if I had nothing better to do. But if it's not City, it's just entertainment and there are plenty of other forms of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Not at all, I even take or leave Match of the Day now. A few have hit the nail on the head in the thread intimating that many of us follow the City primarily nowadays rather than football itself.