+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Premier League side 2013/4 vs 2018/9

Premier League side 2013/4 vs 2018/9

Looking at Harry Lime's post about Theophile-Catherine, it made me consider which, head for head, was the better starting XI.

Goalkeeper: Etheridge vs Marshall

Tough one. Marshall is still the best shot stopper I've seen at Cardiff and his distribution is better.

Verdict: Marshall

Fullbacks: Bennett/Manga vs Theophile-Catherine/Taylor

Manga was never the most comfortable right back, but was used there so Warnock could play his best 3 defenders at the same time. Taylor and Bennett are much of a muchness.

Verdict: Theophile-Catherine and a tie between Bennett and Taylor

Centrebacks: Bamba/Morrison vs Turner/Caulker

Bamba is a leader on the pitch, Turner was more solid than Morrison. Caulker a legend for one goal but that was it.

Verdict: Bamba and Morrison. Had they had the protection that Caulker and Turner had we would have conceded less last season.

Centre midfield: Gunnarsson/Arter vs Medel/Whittingham

No contest, really.

Verdict: Medel and Whittingham

Wide midfield: Hoilett/Murphy vs Noone/Bellamy

Difficult to pick the two most influential wide players. Bellamy was coming to the end of his career and it showed. Noone was unplayable at times. Kim Bo-Kyung was also used out wide sometimes and in the middle. Last season we had moments from Harris and Mendez-Laing.

Verdict: Hoilett and Noone

Attacking midfielder: Camarasa vs Mutch

Interestingly, both were top scorers in their respective seasons. Both scored wonder goals in injury time to win away games. Mutch was a stronger player who could have gone further. Camarasa is a slight figure who showed great talent.

Verdict: Could be controversial, but Mutch, but only by the thinnest of margins. Camarasa faded from the team while Mutch wasn't an immediate starter but forced his way in and scored more than Camarasa.

Striker: Er, Niasse/Ward/Paterson/Healey/Zohore/my uncle Bill vs Campbell

Verdict: Frazier Campbell had one of the worst chance conversion rates in the Premier League, saving his goals for the big teams but not doing a lot else, but easily outperformed any one of the strikers we tried last season.

I give that 7½ to 3½ to the 2013/14 side on a man for man basis. The fact that the 2013/14 side sank without a trace while the 2018/19 side nearly stayed up says a lot for one man - the manager. It also highlights one huge problem. If things stop being so effective in terms of management style, tactics etc, what could be considered a poorer team is going to look it.

Re: Premier League side 2013/4 vs 2018/9

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Looking at Harry Lime's post about Theophile-Catherine, it made me consider which, head for head, was the better starting XI.

Goalkeeper: Etheridge vs Marshall

Tough one. Marshall is still the best shot stopper I've seen at Cardiff and his distribution is better.

Verdict: Marshall

Fullbacks: Bennett/Manga vs Theophile-Catherine/Taylor

Manga was never the most comfortable right back, but was used there so Warnock could play his best 3 defenders at the same time. Taylor and Bennett are much of a muchness.

Verdict: Theophile-Catherine and a tie between Bennett and Taylor

Centrebacks: Bamba/Morrison vs Turner/Caulker

Bamba is a leader on the pitch, Turner was more solid than Morrison. Caulker a legend for one goal but that was it.

Verdict: Bamba and Morrison. Had they had the protection that Caulker and Turner had we would have conceded less last season.

Centre midfield: Gunnarsson/Arter vs Medel/Whittingham

No contest, really.

Verdict: Medel and Whittingham

Wide midfield: Hoilett/Murphy vs Noone/Bellamy

Difficult to pick the two most influential wide players. Bellamy was coming to the end of his career and it showed. Noone was unplayable at times. Kim Bo-Kyung was also used out wide sometimes and in the middle. Last season we had moments from Harris and Mendez-Laing.

Verdict: Hoilett and Noone

Attacking midfielder: Camarasa vs Mutch

Interestingly, both were top scorers in their respective seasons. Both scored wonder goals in injury time to win away games. Mutch was a stronger player who could have gone further. Camarasa is a slight figure who showed great talent.

Verdict: Could be controversial, but Mutch, but only by the thinnest of margins. Camarasa faded from the team while Mutch wasn't an immediate starter but forced his way in and scored more than Camarasa.

Striker: Er, Niasse/Ward/Paterson/Healey/Zohore/my uncle Bill vs Campbell

Verdict: Frazier Campbell had one of the worst chance conversion rates in the Premier League, saving his goals for the big teams but not doing a lot else, but easily outperformed any one of the strikers we tried last season.

I give that 7½ to 3½ to the 2013/14 side on a man for man basis. The fact that the 2013/14 side sank without a trace while the 2018/19 side nearly stayed up says a lot for one man - the manager. It also highlights one huge problem. If things stop being so effective in terms of management style, tactics etc, what could be considered a poorer team is going to look it.
    You didn't list Bobby Reid in the strikers YOU ARE NEIL WARNOCK AND I CLAIM MY TEN POUNDS

Got to have our best outfield player, Manga, in the line up as centre back with ,Bamba.
    Whitts only flickered in patches. Going to be controversial but I would have Ralls in there, even though it was towards the end of the season he started to find his feet.
    Def Camarasa over Mutch. Technically far better player.
    Out wide Hoilett and Noone, but only because someone has to play on the right.
    Up top, may just as well put Paterson! But will agree on Campbell.
    Marshall
    Catherine
    Bennett
    Manga
    Bamba
    Noone
    Hoilet
    Model
    Ralls
    Camarasa
    Cambell

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Got to have our best outfield player, Manga, in the line up as centre back with ,Bamba.
    Whitts only flickered in patches. Going to be controversial but I would have Ralls in there, even though it was towards the end of the season he started to find his feet.
    Marshall
    Catherine
    Bennett
    Manga
    Bamba
    Noone
    Hoilet
    Model
    Ralls
    Camarasa
    Cambell
    Naomi Campbell in central midfield?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Marshall
    Catherine
    Bennett
    Manga
    Bamba
    Noone
    Hoilet
    Model
    Ralls
    Camarasa
    Cambell
    Ralls just missed out on appearances. I would hardly describe him as an attacking midfielder and there was only room for 2 centre midfielders if you include an attacking mid. Bamba and Morrison were used as the main centre back pairing as they played together the most.

I agree about Whitts in the PL. I thought it was a division he could have lit up. Malky helped destroy his attacking ability. He went over 4 years without scoring a free kick. Quite incredible. I'd still have had him and Medel ahead of two from Gunnarsson, Arter and Ralls.

Marshall

Theophile-Catherine
    Manga
    Caulker
    Bennett

Mendez-Laing
    Mutch
    Medel
    Camarasa
    Bellamy
    Whittingham

Despite being forced to play with a false number nine (Bellamy?), it's an attacking line up - wouldn't much fancy its chances of staying up mind.