Looking at Harry Lime's post about Theophile-Catherine, it made me consider which, head for head, was the better starting XI.

Goalkeeper: Etheridge vs Marshall

Tough one. Marshall is still the best shot stopper I've seen at Cardiff and his distribution is better.

Verdict: Marshall

Fullbacks: Bennett/Manga vs Theophile-Catherine/Taylor

Manga was never the most comfortable right back, but was used there so Warnock could play his best 3 defenders at the same time. Taylor and Bennett are much of a muchness.

Verdict: Theophile-Catherine and a tie between Bennett and Taylor

Centrebacks: Bamba/Morrison vs Turner/Caulker

Bamba is a leader on the pitch, Turner was more solid than Morrison. Caulker a legend for one goal but that was it.

Verdict: Bamba and Morrison. Had they had the protection that Caulker and Turner had we would have conceded less last season.

Centre midfield: Gunnarsson/Arter vs Medel/Whittingham

No contest, really.

Verdict: Medel and Whittingham

Wide midfield: Hoilett/Murphy vs Noone/Bellamy

Difficult to pick the two most influential wide players. Bellamy was coming to the end of his career and it showed. Noone was unplayable at times. Kim Bo-Kyung was also used out wide sometimes and in the middle. Last season we had moments from Harris and Mendez-Laing.

Verdict: Hoilett and Noone

Attacking midfielder: Camarasa vs Mutch

Interestingly, both were top scorers in their respective seasons. Both scored wonder goals in injury time to win away games. Mutch was a stronger player who could have gone further. Camarasa is a slight figure who showed great talent.

Verdict: Could be controversial, but Mutch, but only by the thinnest of margins. Camarasa faded from the team while Mutch wasn't an immediate starter but forced his way in and scored more than Camarasa.

Striker: Er, Niasse/Ward/Paterson/Healey/Zohore/my uncle Bill vs Campbell

Verdict: Frazier Campbell had one of the worst chance conversion rates in the Premier League, saving his goals for the big teams but not doing a lot else, but easily outperformed any one of the strikers we tried last season.

I give that 7½ to 3½ to the 2013/14 side on a man for man basis. The fact that the 2013/14 side sank without a trace while the 2018/19 side nearly stayed up says a lot for one man - the manager. It also highlights one huge problem. If things stop being so effective in terms of management style, tactics etc, what could be considered a poorer team is going to look it.