Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31

Thread: Justin Trudeau

  1. #1
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,350

    Justin Trudeau

    Why is it always the uber liberals?

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49758613

  2. #2

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Hoist by their own petards once again

  3. #3

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Because only the right are the only evil .

    This is 20 years ago isn't It.

    Imagine rolling back everyone's silly actions and behaviors you'd be shocked about yourself I'm sure, especially in those worlds of fancy dress ,parties stags etc , we much more educated now .

    If its against the decent thoughts of say dressing up like that or a Nazi , is it not equally bad hosting bloated blimps of Trump,isn't an insult an insult ?

  4. #4

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    No, I wouldn't be shocked at stuff I've done and I'm not convinced that it's a matter of education which supresses humour. I'd say that it's more intolerance and dictatorial attitudes.
    Of course I remember when every fancy dress party contained at least one Hitler and several people blacked up in one way or another, and I'm certain that none of the people who did that intended any insult to anyone.

    I always find it strange that the generation who fought the war, including Jewish people , ( Mel Brooks for example) , used to dress up as Hitler and make jokes about Nazis but a load of wimpy kids who've never fought for anything or suffered any hardships are dreadfully offended by it all.

    Much as I think Trudeau Jnr. is a first rate Twat , I don't suppose for a moment that he meant , or caused , any harm on that occasion, but of course he's got to tear his hair and apologise because it's one of the things he and his kind have designated as very wicked.

    We live in very intolerant times, and since such periods historically never last very long, I wonder when people will refuse to be pushed around like this by politically twisted nut cases and virtue signallers.

  5. #5

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    No, I wouldn't be shocked at stuff I've done and I'm not convinced that it's a matter of education which supresses humour. I'd say that it's more intolerance and dictatorial attitudes.
    Of course I remember when every fancy dress party contained at least one Hitler and several people blacked up in one way or another, and I'm certain that none of the people who did that intended any insult to anyone.

    I always find it strange that the generation who fought the war, including Jewish people , ( Mel Brooks for example) , used to dress up as Hitler and make jokes about Nazis but a load of wimpy kids who've never fought for anything or suffered any hardships are dreadfully offended by it all.

    Much as I think Trudeau Jnr. is a first rate Twat , I don't suppose for a moment that he meant , or caused , any harm on that occasion, but of course he's got to tear his hair and apologise because it's one of the things he and his kind have designated as very wicked.

    We live in very intolerant times, and since such periods historically never last very long, I wonder when people will refuse to be pushed around like this by politically twisted nut cases and virtue signallers.
    Sums it up for me. I watched the coverage this morning, thought 'so what?' and by the time I get home he is referring to it as a racist act. He has to I suppose??

  6. #6
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,350

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Sums it up for me. I watched the coverage this morning, thought 'so what?' and by the time I get home he is referring to it as a racist act. He has to I suppose??
    Trapped in the very same spiders web that he and his contemporaries help to spin. It's actually quite hillarious seeing him have to grovel like that. The identity politics bus is now firmly out of control, as the Clintons and their Democrat doners are finding out!

  7. #7
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,350

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    We live in very intolerant times, and since such periods historically never last very long, I wonder when people will refuse to be pushed around like this by politically twisted nut cases and virtue signallers.
    The politics of the left always result in totalitarian states when taken to their logical conclusion. It's a sign that we are quite far down that road when its leaders get ensnared by their own ideology.

  8. #8

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Interesting tweet by leader of the Canadian Green saying he should apologise (he has) and undergo a learning programme (his cabinet 15+ years later is, whether accurate or not, reported as being diverse) which arguably has already been done.

    Everyone is capable of being offended and is capable of causing offence. It's about being able to apologise, learning, rebuilding trust and starting to do the right thing. I'm not sure that will be enough to save him but his words since becoming political leader will hopefully be foundations for whoever replaces him (left-wing or right-wing) and Canada continues to be a progressive country.

  9. #9

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Interesting tweet by leader of the Canadian Green saying he should apologise (he has) and undergo a learning programme (his cabinet 15+ years later is, whether accurate or not, reported as being diverse) which arguably has already been done.

    Everyone is capable of being offended and is capable of causing offence. It's about being able to apologise, learning, rebuilding trust and starting to do the right thing. I'm not sure that will be enough to save him but his words since becoming political leader will hopefully be foundations for whoever replaces him (left-wing or right-wing) and Canada continues to be a progressive country.

    Never ever apologise to the Left. They will regard it as weakness and a platform to do you more damage.

  10. #10

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The politics of the left always result in totalitarian states when taken to their logical conclusion. It's a sign that we are quite far down that road when its leaders get ensnared by their own ideology.

    They always do. Case in point Trotsky.
    The left wing mindset is very akin to the colonial one in fact. They believe that they know what is best for other people and therefore feel perfectly justified in withdrawing freedoms from them " in their own interests".

    If anyone objects to their tyrany ,they regard them as either stupid or wicked - what else could cause them to dissent from the tyrant's idea of how the world should be ?

  11. #11

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    At a time when the rates of terrorism from the far right are rocketing through the roof the outcry over this is risible.

  12. #12

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    At a time when the rates of terrorism from the far right are rocketing through the roof the outcry over this is risible.
    That's complete bollocks. How did I miss these right wing terrorist attacks ? I can think of groups who are a bit prone to terrorism, but I expect you'd deny that.
    How stupid do you think people are that they'd willingly embrace the censorship of humour or free speech in case you call them terrorists ? Thanks for confirming the colonialist / socialist dogma that objections to your intolerant philosophy is wicked.

    Would you know a terrorist from a banjo, by the way ? Have you ever dealt with terrorism or experienced any kind of war or violence ?

  13. #13

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Let's be honest the Liberal Left political correctness world is simply fed via the internet, and it's such an easy platform to produce quick shock and horror stories like this .

    It was 20 years ago for God sake it's just nasty politics at work.

    I worked in a socialist type environment all my life and as RB points out nearly every fancy dress type event produced a Hitler some of whom were really decent folk with a strong sense if inclusiveness, not right wing militia .

    These new parties are just trolling the internet for any chance to expose any event or stupid mistake drawn from simple youthfillness naivety.

    What a sad trolling world we are in , and it does seem to be gathering favour amongst the Liberal, Left ,Green political world

  14. #14

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Dressing up as an Arabian Prince at a fancy dress party 20 yrs ago, makes him racist.
    Absolute bollux!
    He shouldn’t even be apologising. He’s nothing to apologise for. The voters in Canada will see through this below the belt smear campaign.
    Desperate tactics by his opponents.

  15. #15
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,350

    Re: Justin Trudeau


  16. #16
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,350

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Dressing up as an Arabian Prince at a fancy dress party 20 yrs ago, makes him racist.
    Absolute bollux!
    He shouldn’t even be apologising. He’s nothing to apologise for. The voters in Canada will see through this below the belt smear campaign.
    Desperate tactics by his opponents.
    It was that well-known extreme far right neo-nazi Trump loving publication called Time Magazine!

    https://time.com/5680759/justin-trud...ownface-photo/

  17. #17

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    He dressed as ****ing Aladdin for ffs.
    He’s hardly dressed up as a minstrel singing ‘Mammy’

  18. #18

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Let's be honest the Liberal Left political correctness world is simply fed via the internet, and it's such an easy platform to produce quick shock and horror stories like this .

    It was 20 years ago for God sake it's just nasty politics at work.

    I worked in a socialist type environment all my life and as RB points out nearly every fancy dress type event produced a Hitler some of whom were really decent folk with a strong sense if inclusiveness, not right wing militia .

    These new parties are just trolling the internet for any chance to expose any event or stupid mistake drawn from simple youthfillness naivety.

    What a sad trolling world we are in , and it does seem to be gathering favour amongst the Liberal, Left ,Green political world
    This one is tougher for you, but I reckon you'll be able to start blaming Jeremy Corbyn for it in a post or two's time.

    I've not been to many fancy dress parties in my life, but there's never been anyone dressed as Hitler, or a Nazi, or blacked/browned up at the ones I have been to. That said, I tend to agree that people are going well over the top with this and I can't help thinking that as someone whose natural political enemies would be on the right, this is probably driven by a feeling of hypocrisy against Trudeau because, rightly or wrongly, it is felt that he would be joining in with the condemnation if it was someone else who had been involved.

    I must say mind that most, if not all, of those who have contributed to this thread are of an age whereby they can remember a BBC television programme, which went out at a peak time, that consisted of men who had been blacked up singing songs. I used to ask myself what is the point of the Black and White Minstrel Show and hardly ever watched it, but it was all part of a culture around in the 60s to 80s which shaped the type of people we became.

    In light of that, it's hardly a surprise that us of a certain age react like we do to stories like this, but we have to face the fact that there are a substantial number out there who have not been brought up during an age where mocking minorities, sexist and/or racist behaviour etc. was commonplace and they find the thinking behind something like the Black and White Minstrel Show offensive - who's to say that it is not those who are, say, under 30 who have got this right and us who have got it wrong?

  19. #19
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,350

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    This one is tougher for you, but I reckon you'll be able to start blaming Jeremy Corbyn for it in a post or two's time.

    I've not been to many fancy dress parties in my life, but there's never been anyone dressed as Hitler, or a Nazi, or blacked/browned up at the ones I have been to. That said, I tend to agree that people are going well over the top with this and I can't help thinking that as someone whose natural political enemies would be on the right, this is probably driven by a feeling of hypocrisy against Trudeau because, rightly or wrongly, it is felt that he would be joining in with the condemnation if it was someone else who had been involved.

    I must say mind that most, if not all, of those who have contributed to this thread are of an age whereby they can remember a BBC television programme, which went out at a peak time, that consisted of men who had been blacked up singing songs. I used to ask myself what is the point of the Black and White Minstrel Show and hardly ever watched it, but it was all part of a culture around in the 60s to 80s which shaped the type of people we became.

    In light of that, it's hardly a surprise that us of a certain age react like we do to stories like this, but we have to face the fact that there are a substantial number out there who have not been brought up during an age where mocking minorities, sexist and/or racist behaviour etc. was commonplace and they find the thinking behind something like the Black and White Minstrel Show offensive - who's to say that it is not those who are, say, under 30 who have got this right and us who have got it wrong?
    I think there is a possibility that it could have been an inside job. He previously dumped on his former justice minister who had refused to tip the scales in a large government corruption case. I made a thread about it a few months ago, and I predicted that this matter could result in his downfall. The ex-minister has an indigenous background, so the irony of his cultural appropriation wouldnt be lost on Justin.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ybould-resigns

  20. #20

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I think there is a possibility that it could have been an inside job. He previously dumped on his former justice minister who had refused to tip the scales in a large government corruption case. I made a thread about it a few months ago, and I predicted that this matter could result in his downfall. The ex-minister has an indigenous background, so the irony of his cultural appropriation wouldnt be lost on Justin.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ybould-resigns
    As it turns out, a line I'd heard from politicians on the left and right along the lines of the enemies they were most concerned about were in their own party did occur to me as I typed about Trudeau's natural enemies being on the right, so I wouldn't say that what you suggest is impossible by any means.

  21. #21
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,350

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    It was only a matter of time


  22. #22

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    That's complete bollocks. How did I miss these right wing terrorist attacks ? I can think of groups who are a bit prone to terrorism, but I expect you'd deny that.
    How stupid do you think people are that they'd willingly embrace the censorship of humour or free speech in case you call them terrorists ? Thanks for confirming the colonialist / socialist dogma that objections to your intolerant philosophy is wicked.

    Would you know a terrorist from a banjo, by the way ? Have you ever dealt with terrorism or experienced any kind of war or violence ?
    You clearly know far more about terrorism than the Police. I take it you are aware that the fastest growing terrorism in the U.K. is far far right groups. That’s not me saying that. It’s the Police.

  23. #23
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,350

    Re: Justin Trudeau


  24. #24
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,350

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    I don't think he will survive the memes, and some people are even suggesting that he's got a large fake penis stuffed down his pants.

  25. #25

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    This one is tougher for you, but I reckon you'll be able to start blaming Jeremy Corbyn for it in a post or two's time.

    I've not been to many fancy dress parties in my life, but there's never been anyone dressed as Hitler, or a Nazi, or blacked/browned up at the ones I have been to. That said, I tend to agree that people are going well over the top with this and I can't help thinking that as someone whose natural political enemies would be on the right, this is probably driven by a feeling of hypocrisy against Trudeau because, rightly or wrongly, it is felt that he would be joining in with the condemnation if it was someone else who had been involved.

    I must say mind that most, if not all, of those who have contributed to this thread are of an age whereby they can remember a BBC television programme, which went out at a peak time, that consisted of men who had been blacked up singing songs. I used to ask myself what is the point of the Black and White Minstrel Show and hardly ever watched it, but it was all part of a culture around in the 60s to 80s which shaped the type of people we became.

    In light of that, it's hardly a surprise that us of a certain age react like we do to stories like this, but we have to face the fact that there are a substantial number out there who have not been brought up during an age where mocking minorities, sexist and/or racist behaviour etc. was commonplace and they find the thinking behind something like the Black and White Minstrel Show offensive - who's to say that it is not those who are, say, under 30 who have got this right and us who have got it wrong?
    Being of that "certain age" myself, I well remember the Black & White Minstrel Show. Like you I hardly ever watched it unless my grandmother had it on the TV when I called there. She loved the programme because it always consisted of those gentle sing-along type songs which she enjoyed very much. The fact that the blokes were blacked up was irrelevant to her and to imagine that she was some kind of extreme right wing Neo-Nazi type is simply laughable!

  26. #26

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Being of that "certain age" myself, I well remember the Black & White Minstrel Show. Like you I hardly ever watched it unless my grandmother had it on the TV when I called there. She loved the programme because it always consisted of those gentle sing-along type songs which she enjoyed very much. The fact that the blokes were blacked up was irrelevant to her and to imagine that she was some kind of extreme right wing Neo-Nazi type is simply laughable!
    If that last sentence was directed at me then you've completely missed the point I was trying to make. My parents used to regularly watch the Black and White Minstrel Show and there is no way on earth that my mum was a racist, but my dad was like so many around then in that he would say things that would probably get him into arguments these days, but he was an example of the point I wanted to make, he was a product of his time and, as such, it was no surprise that he was like he was.

    As part of the generation that came after my father's, I had no problem as such with the Black and White Minstrel Show and I still rate Fawlty Towers as the funniest comedy series I've ever seen, I used to enjoy watching Alf Garnett ranting away in Till Death Us Do Part as well, but drew the line at Love my Neighbour which, besides being plain not funny, went the wrong side of the line for me, while I'd watch a show like Mind Your Language while thinking what am I doing watching this - for me, John Cleese and Warren Mitchell's characters worked because they were the target of the humour.

    Coming back to the Black and White Minstrel Show, if the only reason it was popular was, as you imply, the songs that were being sung, the obvious questions that arise is why was there any need for the singers to be blacked up and, if the songs that were being sung were of a traditional negro spiritual type, why not have black performers singing them? The only possible answer I can come up with is that the makers of the show believed that the audience they got would be smaller if black performers were used.

    My point is that in the time the show was being broadcast, I don't think there was too much controversy around about its format. I daresay there were some in the white community who found it offensive, but nowhere remotely close to a majority - youngsters who label the show racist now need to realise that if there was racism, it was of an unconscious type on most people's part, but I accept that the critical feelings of any non whites about the show were, basically, just ignored.

    That show would never be broadcast today and I think Fawlty Towers and Till Death Us Do Part would have had to be "toned down" somewhat if they were to make it onto the screens now. I repeat, maybe our generation needs to question sometimes whether those that come after us have got things more right than we did?

  27. #27

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If that last sentence was directed at me then you've completely missed the point I was trying to make. My parents used to regularly watch the Black and White Minstrel Show and there is no way on earth that my mum was a racist, but my dad was like so many around then in that he would say things that would probably get him into arguments these days, but he was an example of the point I wanted to make, he was a product of his time and, as such, it was no surprise that he was like he was.

    As part of the generation that came after my father's, I had no problem as such with the Black and White Minstrel Show and I still rate Fawlty Towers as the funniest comedy series I've ever seen, I used to enjoy watching Alf Garnett ranting away in Till Death Us Do Part as well, but drew the line at Love my Neighbour which, besides being plain not funny, went the wrong side of the line for me, while I'd watch a show like Mind Your Language while thinking what am I doing watching this - for me, John Cleese and Warren Mitchell's characters worked because they were the target of the humour.

    Coming back to the Black and White Minstrel Show, if the only reason it was popular was, as you imply, the songs that were being sung, the obvious questions that arise is why was there any need for the singers to be blacked up and, if the songs that were being sung were of a traditional negro spiritual type, why not have black performers singing them? The only possible answer I can come up with is that the makers of the show believed that the audience they got would be smaller if black performers were used.

    My point is that in the time the show was being broadcast, I don't think there was too much controversy around about its format. I daresay there were some in the white community who found it offensive, but nowhere remotely close to a majority - youngsters who label the show racist now need to realise that if there was racism, it was of an unconscious type on most people's part, but I accept that the critical feelings of any non whites about the show were, basically, just ignored.

    That show would never be broadcast today and I think Fawlty Towers and Till Death Us Do Part would have had to be "toned down" somewhat if they were to make it onto the screens now. I repeat, maybe our generation needs to question sometimes whether those that come after us have got things more right than we did?
    No, it was not directed at you - I'm surprised you thought that, as I totally agree with your post. It was directed at the younger generation you refer to who might imagine that my grandmother was some kind of rabid racist for watching a programme where white blokes blacked their faces. Regarding your question about why the BBC did not employ black singers, I wonder where there many around at that time who could sing those kind of "crooner" songs? Harry Belafonte perhaps?

    What about the jazz bands of the 1920's in the valleys during the general strike? Would they too be considered racist today?

  28. #28

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    No, it was not directed at you - I'm surprised you thought that, as I totally agree with your post. It was directed at the younger generation you refer to who might imagine that my grandmother was some kind of rabid racist for watching a programme where white blokes blacked their faces. Regarding your question about why the BBC did not employ black singers, I wonder where there many around at that time who could sing those kind of "crooner" songs? Harry Belafonte perhaps?

    What about the jazz bands of the 1920's in the valleys during the general strike? Would they too be considered racist today?
    I think your point is very well made and I doubt if many of the people at that time we're racists and indeed most would probably have wanted people of other races to have experienced better lives.

    However, time moves on and inevitably opinions develop and change. What might have seemed innocent enough in the 60s and 70s is now seen in a much more critical light. Back in the early 19th century African slaves were considered mere chattels (even in law) yet I doubt the majority of people living in those times, even slaveowners, regarded themselves as racists. The owning of slaves was thought comparable to owning livestock; slaves were considered sub human with respect to their rights. Fast forward to the 60s and 70s and I doubt hardly anyone would have thought slavery anything other than an abomination so attitudes had changed immeasurably in about a hundred years.

    Back to today and attitudes are still changing and that is why Justin Trudeau was right to apologize. I doubt he is racist or performed his role as a racist act, but he was absolutely right to acknowledge how he now realizes it was a mistake.

  29. #29

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I think your point is very well made and I doubt if many of the people at that time we're racists and indeed most would probably have wanted people of other races to have experienced better lives.

    However, time moves on and inevitably opinions develop and change. What might have seemed innocent enough in the 60s and 70s is now seen in a much more critical light. Back in the early 19th century African slaves were considered mere chattels (even in law) yet I doubt the majority of people living in those times, even slaveowners, regarded themselves as racists. The owning of slaves was thought comparable to owning livestock; slaves were considered sub human with respect to their rights. Fast forward to the 60s and 70s and I doubt hardly anyone would have thought slavery anything other than an abomination so attitudes had changed immeasurably in about a hundred years.

    Back to today and attitudes are still changing and that is why Justin Trudeau was right to apologize. I doubt he is racist or performed his role as a racist act, but he was absolutely right to acknowledge how he now realizes it was a mistake.
    A very good and measured post when we live in an age of people taking extreme and polarised positions on the internet.

  30. #30
    International
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    15,350

    Re: Justin Trudeau

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    A very good and measured post when we live in an age of people taking extreme and polarised positions on the internet.
    He apologized, and then he blamed it all on privilege. So he's saying it's not really his fault, and everybody is to blame including you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •