Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
This one is tougher for you, but I reckon you'll be able to start blaming Jeremy Corbyn for it in a post or two's time.

I've not been to many fancy dress parties in my life, but there's never been anyone dressed as Hitler, or a Nazi, or blacked/browned up at the ones I have been to. That said, I tend to agree that people are going well over the top with this and I can't help thinking that as someone whose natural political enemies would be on the right, this is probably driven by a feeling of hypocrisy against Trudeau because, rightly or wrongly, it is felt that he would be joining in with the condemnation if it was someone else who had been involved.

I must say mind that most, if not all, of those who have contributed to this thread are of an age whereby they can remember a BBC television programme, which went out at a peak time, that consisted of men who had been blacked up singing songs. I used to ask myself what is the point of the Black and White Minstrel Show and hardly ever watched it, but it was all part of a culture around in the 60s to 80s which shaped the type of people we became.

In light of that, it's hardly a surprise that us of a certain age react like we do to stories like this, but we have to face the fact that there are a substantial number out there who have not been brought up during an age where mocking minorities, sexist and/or racist behaviour etc. was commonplace and they find the thinking behind something like the Black and White Minstrel Show offensive - who's to say that it is not those who are, say, under 30 who have got this right and us who have got it wrong?
I think there is a possibility that it could have been an inside job. He previously dumped on his former justice minister who had refused to tip the scales in a large government corruption case. I made a thread about it a few months ago, and I predicted that this matter could result in his downfall. The ex-minister has an indigenous background, so the irony of his cultural appropriation wouldnt be lost on Justin.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ybould-resigns