+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Justin Trudeau

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Justin Trudeau

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    No, it was not directed at you - I'm surprised you thought that, as I totally agree with your post. It was directed at the younger generation you refer to who might imagine that my grandmother was some kind of rabid racist for watching a programme where white blokes blacked their faces. Regarding your question about why the BBC did not employ black singers, I wonder where there many around at that time who could sing those kind of "crooner" songs? Harry Belafonte perhaps?

What about the jazz bands of the 1920's in the valleys during the general strike? Would they too be considered racist today?
    I think your point is very well made and I doubt if many of the people at that time we're racists and indeed most would probably have wanted people of other races to have experienced better lives.

However, time moves on and inevitably opinions develop and change. What might have seemed innocent enough in the 60s and 70s is now seen in a much more critical light. Back in the early 19th century African slaves were considered mere chattels (even in law) yet I doubt the majority of people living in those times, even slaveowners, regarded themselves as racists. The owning of slaves was thought comparable to owning livestock; slaves were considered sub human with respect to their rights. Fast forward to the 60s and 70s and I doubt hardly anyone would have thought slavery anything other than an abomination so attitudes had changed immeasurably in about a hundred years.

Back to today and attitudes are still changing and that is why Justin Trudeau was right to apologize. I doubt he is racist or performed his role as a racist act, but he was absolutely right to acknowledge how he now realizes it was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I think your point is very well made and I doubt if many of the people at that time we're racists and indeed most would probably have wanted people of other races to have experienced better lives.

However, time moves on and inevitably opinions develop and change. What might have seemed innocent enough in the 60s and 70s is now seen in a much more critical light. Back in the early 19th century African slaves were considered mere chattels (even in law) yet I doubt the majority of people living in those times, even slaveowners, regarded themselves as racists. The owning of slaves was thought comparable to owning livestock; slaves were considered sub human with respect to their rights. Fast forward to the 60s and 70s and I doubt hardly anyone would have thought slavery anything other than an abomination so attitudes had changed immeasurably in about a hundred years.

Back to today and attitudes are still changing and that is why Justin Trudeau was right to apologize. I doubt he is racist or performed his role as a racist act, but he was absolutely right to acknowledge how he now realizes it was a mistake.
    A very good and measured post when we live in an age of people taking extreme and polarised positions on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    A very good and measured post when we live in an age of people taking extreme and polarised positions on the internet.
    He apologized, and then he blamed it all on privilege. So he's saying it's not really his fault, and everybody is to blame including you!