+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Phil Suarez

Phil Suarez

Just realised it's 17 years since the great man was sadly taken from us. Greatest City commentator ever, tannoy man, coach driver even. Legend.

Re: Phil Suarez

Nice remembering moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Just realised it's 17 years since the great man was sadly taken from us. Greatest City commentator ever, tannoy man, coach driver even. Legend.
    There are some people that make a big impact on your life, and Phil was one.
    We were great friends as teenagers. I played in a band and he was a regular supporter. A gang of us had a great holiday in St Ives back in 1962, the five of us travelling in Phil's cobalt blue Ford Capri.
    Ive taken a picture from an old album on my phone, but got no idea how to share it on here.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    We were great friends as teenagers. I played in a band and he was a regular supporter. A gang of us had a great holiday in St Ives back in 1962, the five of us travelling in Phil's cobalt blue Ford Capri.
    Ive taken a picture from an old album on my phone, but got no idea how to share it on here.
    If you are able to save the picture you've taken on to the hard drive of your computer, you should then be able to load it into a message on here by using the "insert image" button (third from the right in the bar which appears above what you are writing when you want to put a message on here).

Here is the picture lisvaneblue talked about. Phil is top left on the car roof with lisvaneblue next to him.

Phil Suarez.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Here is the picture lisvaneblue talked about. Phil is top left on the car roof with lisvaneblue next to him.

Phil Suarez.jpg
    Nice piece of nostalgia.
    Check out the Oxford bags.
    Has Lisvaneblue got the picture of the car after they all got off?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Nice piece of nostalgia.
    DiDn't know of him personally sounds like he was fun to be with RIP

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Nice piece of nostalgia.
    Sorry but I haven't got a picture of the car. It was a ford capri and as you can see Phil kept it looking good. The five of us squeezed in plus luggage for the trip to St Ives, Cornwall. No Severn Bridge then, and the motorway network was patchy. The trip took forever.

Ford Capri in 1962?

Looks more like a Zephyr to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Ford Capri in 1962?
    Yes...in those days in was called the Ford Consul Capri. I think it was marketed until 1963

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Looks more like a Zephyr to me.
    Def not a Zephyr. They were a lot more spacious.

My dad had a Zodiac, similar shape and size to a Zephyr. Gear lever on the steering column and a front bench seat

Looks like a Ford Classic to me. Ugly cars that never sold well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Looks like a Ford Classic to me. Ugly cars that never sold well.
    Classic was 4 door, this was a 2 door.

By the way....odd website this when someone tries to pay tribute to a man that was CCFC through and through and the banter is all about cars.

By the way....odd website this when someone tries to pay tribute to a man that was CCFC through and through and the banter is all about cars.
    Didn't mean to offend, great photo . Just always thought of the Capri as a 70s car.
    He looks a lot like Steven Gerrard in that photo

With respect to the late Phil Suarez who I listened to regularly. Didn't he live in Beulah Road and was always concerned to get back home after a night out to feed his cat?

The Classic was available in 2 and 4 door form. Extract here from Wikipedia:

The Ford Consul Classic is a mid-sized car that was launched in May 1961 and built by Ford UK from 1961 to 1963. It was available in two or four door saloon form, in Standard or De Luxe versions, and with floor or column gearshift. The name Ford Consul 315 was used for export markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    With respect to the late Phil Suarez who I listened to regularly. Didn't he live in Beulah Road and was always concerned to get back home after a night out to feed his cat?

The Classic was available in 2 and 4 door form. Extract here from Wikipedia:

The Ford Consul Classic is a mid-sized car that was launched in May 1961 and built by Ford UK from 1961 to 1963. It was available in two or four door saloon form, in Standard or De Luxe versions, and with floor or column gearshift. The name Ford Consul 315 was used for export markets.
    When we were teenage friends he lived in Stacey Road

No idea why, but thought I'd try and do some reading up on him.

The press suite at the Cardiff City stadium is named after Suarez.

There was a time when he was combining local radio and tannoy duties when he gave his pre-match report over the tannoy and gave the team line-ups on the radio.

Apparently there was a time, when commentating on Touch AM that he asked a fan in the grandstand to carry on commentating while he went for a slash. Probably urban myth but with Phil I'm not so sure!

I recall Rob Phillips once mentioning that he and Phil used to sing 'Sea Cruise' regularly.

I remember him as a brilliant football commentator who had a wicked sense of humour. His enthusiasm for the City on the radio helped cement me as a Cardiff fan when I was young, before I had a car etc.

When we were teenage friends he lived in Stacey Road
    He lived in Llanedeyrn for a bit, Coed y gores.

Wasn't he in the tannoy box the night Swansea started performing in the Grand stand and he started shouting for reinforcements?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Wasn't he in the tannoy box the night Swansea started performing in the Grand stand and he started shouting for reinforcements?
    Indeed he was , chucking seats at kids , what a bunch of tossers

Great photos mate

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I remember him being on tannoy duties when he asked at half time if a Mr whateverhisnamewas had lost something. He said "I can't say what it is, but it's your bank card"....

Here's a bit of Phil Suarez-related nostalgia for you