+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Rugby Word Cup 2019 thread.

Re: Rugby Word Cup 2019 thread.

Has Warnock had a word?

Poor performance and terrible to watch but grind out another win.

On we go. It's starting to look like Wales' name is on it.

Not sure what happened to the Welsh team today. They almost looked like they had stagefright.

On that showing we're nowhere near NZ or England even if we get past South Africa or Japan in the semis.

The only hope is that the burden of being expected to win was what held them back and we won't have that from here on

Looks like the extra week off really benefited France. They win if that numpty keeps his elbows to himself.

I'm too negative apparently, so I'll keep quiet except to say I thought that was a very honest assessment by Gatland and that his players owe him a performance.

We'll be on the coach to Swansea during the semi final. I'm sure a Wales victory would see both sets of supporters come together as one in support of the boys

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm too negative apparently, so I'll keep quiet except to say I thought that was a very honest assessment by Gatland and that his players owe him a performance.
    FFS Bob. Now was the chance for you to give them both barrels!!😁

We were played off the pitch. Very poor but somehow we got through. The French were very poor against us 8 years ago and won and were then desperately unlucky to lose to the All Blacks in the Final. A huge improvement is needed next week.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    FFS Bob. Now was the chance for you to give them both barrels!!��
    Okay, what I will say is that we were the lowest try scorers while winning the Grand Slam and I never had any illusions that we could succeed in this World Cup by playing a beautiful version of the game, but what's concerned me throughout the tournament is that we're struggling in facets that I thought we'd be among the best in the competition at.

For example, our defence was very good at the end of the first half when we were hanging on by the skin of our teeth, but, at other times, there was a frailty which has been with us throughout the World Cup. Also, even when we were crap, there was a time when I thought we'd be better under the high ball than most sides we played, but we've not been great in that department either.

As Grand Slam winners with a long run of victories behind us, I thought we should be making the Semi Finals, anything after that is a bonus. The fact we have done so without ever playing well in my opinion (England put the Australia game into some sort of perspective yesterday) could be an indicator that we can go all of the way, but it seems more likely at the moment that we've now got as far as we can in the tournament - whatever happens in the remaining quarter final, we're surely going to be the outsiders among the four in the semi finals.

Being positive, Pearcey makes a good point about 2011 when an unimpressive French side gave New Zealand a hell of a game in a Final that most thought they would win at a canter - Wales still haven't shown what they are capable of in this tournament.

Okay, what I will say is that we were the lowest try scorers while winning the Grand Slam and I never had any illusions that we could succeed in this World Cup by playing a beautiful version of the game, but what's concerned me throughout the tournament is that we're struggling in facets that I thought we'd be among the best in the competition at.

For example, our defence was very good at the end of the first half when we were hanging on by the skin of our teeth, but, at other times, there was a frailty which has been with us throughout the World Cup. Also, even when we were crap, there was a time when I thought we'd be better under the high ball than most sides we played, but we've not been great in that department either.

As Grand Slam winners with a long run of victories behind us, I thought we should be making the Semi Finals, anything after that is a bonus. The fact we have done so without ever playing well in my opinion (England put the Australia game into some sort of perspective yesterday) could be an indicator that we can go all of the way, but it seems more likely at the moment that we've now got as far as we can in the tournament - whatever happens in the remaining quarter final, we're surely going to be the outsiders among the four in the semi finals.

Being positive, Pearcey makes a good point about 2011 when an unimpressive French side gave New Zealand a hell of a game in a Final that most thought they would win at a canter - Wales still haven't shown what they are capable of in this tournament.
    You’ve summed it up perfectly.

You’ve summed it up perfectly.
    Yep. We have gone backwards especially in our defence which is now looking porous.

Japan are electrifying with ball in hand.

That's what months and months of staying together can do. They barely have to think about angles of attack.

Pleasure to watch aren’t they when they get it through hands, fairplay. Saffers a little fortunate not to be down to 14 too.

TOBW spot on. I thought whilst watching it that’s its likely to be either side’s last game in the tournament - France had their game of the tournament, minus a moment of madness, and we look knackered and without much in the way of inventiveness.

Just about recovered. Got to improve out of sight for next week to have any chance. We were very poor today in attack and defence. Yet somehow won. How? Probably only because we were playing France. Nobody played well really bar 1 or 2 of the replacements. We have to increase tempo, urgency and quality to give either a proper game in the semi. Relieved but worried.

Japan are a joy to watch. I would love to see them win this.

South Africa have completely dominated Japan in the second half

England have looked really good,think they are the only side to give The Blacks a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We were played off the pitch. Very poor but somehow we got through. The French were very poor against us 8 years ago and won and were then desperately unlucky to lose to the All Blacks in the Final. A huge improvement is needed next week.
    Quite right Pearcey, better team with only 14 men lost on both occasions so we deserved this result. Also proud that our Academy product Wainwright was voted MOM, perhaps Warnock can resign him as our new Striker in January?

It's the four best sides in the world in 2019 as the final four in the competition. At the moment it seems to be heading towards a NZ South Africa final, Wales may be the only undefeated side in the tournament but haven't put in a strong performance since the 6 Nations and England are the opposite of battle-tested, but who knows what will happen over the next 240 minutes of rugby. Reasons for optimism for Wales supporters? Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Wales may be the only undefeated side in the tournament
    England and NZ haven’t been beaten either.

Could be an England -Wales final.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    England and NZ haven’t been beaten either.
    True. The actual fact is that Wales are the only side to win all their games so far.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    True. The actual fact is that Wales are the only side to win all their games so far.
    True but I’m certain England and NZ would’ve won their games without any real issues.

Listened to Matt Dawson on the radio, he said we deserved to win our quarter final game against England in 2003, but they then went on to win the World Cup, so there’s still hope? He also said the players were knackered after that game and so basically rested before semifinals. I feel that seemed the problem with the Welsh players they looked knackered and badly need a rest!