+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby Word Cup 2019 thread.

Re: Rugby Word Cup 2019 thread.

Not Wales best performance but such a good match to watch. Going back to the office the only bad part.

Job done. Fiji deserve some credit, was an entertaining game.

Years gone by we would have been sweating at the end there but good game management from about 60 minutes.
    Also did well to come back from the shock of being 10-zip early doors.

Qualified as winner of the group though barring a monumental balls up against Uruguay so all well so far.

England or France in the quarters.

It is going to be tough games all the way after the Uruguay game.

International

I think sometimes the standard of play is affected by the players own perception of the opposition no matter how much the management say it isn't. After the Australia game this was always going to be considered a step down even if not a 'formality' and we have all seen how that can come back to bite a team in any sport. The 10 - 0 score line reflects that I believe,

Edwards must have been furious!!!

But I don't think the standard of play should be used as a measure of how we might fare in the QF. That, as they say, will be a whole new ballgame.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think sometimes the standard of play is affected by the players own perception of the opposition no matter how much the management say it isn't. After the Australia game this was always going to be considered a step down even if not a 'formality' and we have all seen how that can come back to bite a team in any sport. The 10 - 0 score line reflects that I believe,

Edwards must have been furious!!!

But I don't think the standard of play should be used as a measure of how we might fare in the QF. That, as they say, will be a whole new ballgame.
    Agreed, and Fiji would have also been up for it as well so also deserve credit, rather than people saying wales were just crap.

I’m sure whoever we play in the QF they will be up for it.

Good win in the end. Mentally strong but things to work on.

The injuries are a worry. Has there been any news (I haven't seen anything yet)?

Lets hope Uruguay read the right script and there's no playing silly buggers in Pool C (i.e. trying to lose to get in the 'easier' side of the draw)!

That was a really gutsy win.
    Fingers crossed in the injuries. Josh Adams thinks he has a dead leg so hopefully will be fit for the quarter final. Jonathan Davies has a bang to the knee which Gotland seems to think isn’t serious but we will have to see.
    Biggar and the concussion is a real worry.

England - France match on Saturday is off because of a typhoon forecast to ravage Tokyo.

Rugby World Cup: England-France match off because of Typhoon Hagibis - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49995604

For those who don't wish to click links, that game has been declared a draw; Wales will almost certainly play France in the next round.

Huge boost for England. What with Argentina giving them a much easier ride than expected, not playing the french leaves them fully recharged for the knockout stages.

England’s biggest obstacle to winning this World Cup was having to beat 5 consecutive tier 1 nations and the cumulative fatigue that would incur.

big boost for france too...

France were going to put out mostly a second string team so I’m not convinced this helps them much. As for England they will now play Australia having not really been tested to date. Aus have had two tough Test matches and may well be more prepared for the quarter final than England.

The big advantage for England and France, will be the longer rest period they both get before the qtr finals.
    As long as our game against Uruguay isn’t cancelled as well, we’ve not come off too badly.
    I think we have a better chance of beating France, than we do England at this stage.
    If we could get past France, then hopefully Ireland can give St Africa a gruelling game in the Qtrs if that side of the group goes as expected.
    Once the semi finals arrive, then it’s every man for himself, and we’d have a squeak.
    All ifs and buts I know.
    Scotland could suffer badly if their game against Japan is cancelled. Then again if they’d beaten Ireland in the opening game, they’d have been ok.
    It’s getting really interesting now. Bring it on!

fingers crossed

Although this seems to be a really exceptional storm, if Scotland end up being eliminated from the tournament (the only chance some of their squad will ever have to play in a World Cup) because of the weather, then questions need to be asked about holding it in Japan at this time of year when violent storms are most likely in that country.

As for Wales, I wish I could share the confidence of others in this thread. Our Grand Slam and winning run was built on a very good defence, but that's eight tries scored against us in three matches now, as well as 31 missed tackles on Wednesday, and, as a relatively low scoring side, we need to be doing a lot better than that if we are to go far in this competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    France were going to put out mostly a second string team so I’m not convinced this helps them much. As for England they will now play Australia having not really been tested to date. Aus have had two tough Test matches and may well be more prepared for the quarter final than England.
    Interesting way to look at it

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The big advantage for England and France, will be the longer rest period they both get before the qtr finals.
    As long as our game against Uruguay isn’t cancelled as well, we’ve not come off too badly.
    I think we have a better chance of beating France, than we do England at this stage.
    If we could get past France, then hopefully Ireland can give St Africa a gruelling game in the Qtrs if that side of the group goes as expected.
    Once the semi finals arrive, then it’s every man for himself, and we’d have a squeak.
    All ifs and buts I know.
    Scotland could suffer badly if their game against Japan is cancelled. Then again if they’d beaten Ireland in the opening game, they’d have been ok.
    If their game is cancelled they get a rest, which it is so they do.

Surely we’ll put out a weakened side so effectively get a “break” as well?
    I say it like that as we probably will include some players for a few minutes..

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Although this seems to be a really exceptional storm, if Scotland end up being eliminated from the tournament (the only chance some of their squad will ever have to play in a World Cup) because of the weather, then questions need to be asked about holding it in Japan at this time of year when violent storms are most likely in that country.

As for Wales, I wish I could share the confidence of others in this thread. Our Grand Slam and winning run was built on a very good defence, but that's eight tries scored against us in three matches now, as well as 31 missed tackles on Wednesday, and, as a relatively low scoring side, we need to be doing a lot better than that if we are to go far in this competition.
    You’ve got to wonder about the timing with the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    All ifs and buts I know.
    I think we are fine if our game is postponed too. We would get two points from the game. If Aus pick up the maximum five points from their game both sides finish on 16 points. We would top the group on head to head. So we are now almost certain to be playing France

Is there no way to just re-arrange the matches, find it bizarre they are just cancelled when they are hopeful others will go ahead Sunday and with such a big gap to the quarters.

Agreed. If Scotland are sent home the integrity of the whole competition will be in question. The Japanese people wouldn't want the embarrassment of a 'freebie' at their own competition.

It makes the whole thing look a bit tinpot if you get thrown out due to weather

In the not too distant past, some folk were winning the jackpot on the football pools, after the “pools panel” predicted the outcome of games cancelled due to the weather.
    Any sport becomes a bit of an embarrassment when the results are predicted.
    Can’t remember the last game of rugby union that ended 0-0. 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

..good shout about the missed tackles bob.
    seems like if you have powerful fat wingers we can't get them down..and they score tries.
    australia 2nd half and fiji all game.
    how many fatties have france got?

As mentioned above the tournament looks more than a bit tinpot if a pool is decided on bad weather.

I also agree that there should have been scope for postponing a game "on the fly" as there are a lot of gaps in this tournament.

To retain the slightest bit of integrity the least they could do is send their kickers out onto a pitch and have a "kick off" similar to a pelanty shoot-out.

Imagine if one of the fancied sides were in Scotland's position.
    I'm sure the all powerful TMO would find something to offer them a helping hand.