+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Rugby Word Cup 2019 thread.

Re: Rugby Word Cup 2019 thread.

Can't help but feel if we were to get through, that extra game Wales have played will be our downfall

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Can't help but feel if we were to get through, that extra game Wales have played will be our downfall
    Plus all the injuries we have suffered and have a days less rest, everything is stacked against us, but you have to keep the faith and miracles do happen!

C'mon Wales

Wales staying in the game and there have been some promising signs when they've moved the ball, but the South Africans are winning the forward battle and their first half last weekend was quite similar - the signs are that South Africa will stretch out into a bigger lead in the second half, but what This Wales side have over previous ones is that they've got a track record of winning games like this and they won't be frightened of taking the chance to win it if they get the chance.

Looking like a single try could decide this. Will Wales stamina help them in the second half?

Dreadful Wales v SA , there should be some rule changes on allowed kicking % per quarter of the game

The better team of a poor game won disappointing but 3 points shortly please 👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Came up short again. Think England will smash SA in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Dreadful Wales v SA , there should be some rule changes on allowed kicking % per quarter of the game
    How would that work?

Predictably another narrow defeat against the southern hemisphere.

I'm not a huge rugby fan but I'm disappointed. England in the final, albeit playing well, it's a team we have beaten and know very well. Probably as good a chance as ever in winning it now gone.

England should win the final and I hope they do, have a feeling it will be scrappy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    How would that work?
    You build in a quota, once reached referee gets a message, advises the team ,that until a certain time ball has to be passed out instead of a kick ,think it might brigten up things ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Predictably another narrow defeat against the southern hemisphere.

I'm not a huge rugby fan but I'm disappointed. England in the final, albeit playing well, it's a team we have beaten and know very well. Probably as good a chance as ever in winning it now gone.

England should win the final and I hope they do, have a feeling it will be scrappy though.
    Agree they should win. I was of the thought watching both sides today and if England play their a game , they would win easily against either side.

Perhaps going out closely like this is better than a thumping from England in a final ,not sure really ??

We looked dead on our feet and with so many key injuries ,lack of squad depth , the final may have , as someone has pointed out , been one too many and very tough. ??

So disappointing. That was a massive opportunity and we failed to take it. The Boks probably did just about enough to win but it really could have gone our way.

First Team

To me it looked like a game too far for Wales.
    South Africa were hardly miles better and it really could have gone either way.
    Not sure if the occasion got to both teams but there was some debatable decision making and basic errors. It felt that it was a game that both teams played to avoid defeat rather than roll the dice and take the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    To me it looked like a game too far for Wales.
    South Africa were hardly miles better and it really could have gone either way.
    Not sure if the occasion got to both teams but there was some debatable decision making and basic errors. It felt that it was a game that both teams played to avoid defeat rather than roll the dice and take the chance.
    I've seen two games today, both played out in the same fashion, both teams went on the pitch playing to strict orders, both teams incapable of switching to something else when plan A wasn't working.

Rugby,

Box Kick,
    kick to keep ball in play
    pick and go, pick and go, pick and go, repeat to fade
    slow ball at base of scrum

Football
    Hoof it
    Hoof it
    Hoof It
    Hoof It
    Hoof It again

Neither team had a player who could say, this isn't working let's do something different.

Incidentally, both better teams won albeit by a small margin.

It's disappointing to have come so close but this should be part of the building process rather than looking to start again. The younger players in the squad now, and players coming in after them, should see how close we came and want to work that bit harder (train right, eat right etc.) so that they can become the Welsh team that makes the final and goes onto win it. That being said, these last two years of Gatland have been building something really special, same old defensive reliance but building depth and opening up the attack a little bit more, that it's a shame we don't get to see what could have been over the next two years.

Rob Howley's about to become a bit richer mind so there's a good chunk of investment into the local game coming up

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    So disappointing. That was a massive opportunity and we failed to take it. The Boks probably did just about enough to win but it really could have gone our way.
    We was done by the ref again Pearcey.
    Ref gave SA all the 50-50s decisions.
    First penalty points SA prop took the scrum down, Garces went to give SA a pen [somebody probably told him it should have been the other way], but decided to reset and then give SA a penalty at the reset.
    Second penalty points to SA should have been a Wales pen when Moriarty taken in the air [regardless of fumble], Garces gave a knock on to SA then a penalty to SA at the resulting scrum.
    Third penalty points to SA was after Garces said full penalty advantage to Wales, Biggar ended up kicking no distance into touch and instead of Garces going back to the penalty to Wales he gave a lineout to SA and then a penalty to SA.

Penalty given against Wales for tackle in the air [SA player toe might even have touched the ground], yet he did not give Wales a penalty in the same but more clear cut situation with Moriarty.
    SA also clearly ran into their own man when we were in a good attacking position but he did not give a penalty to Wales.

Lots of my rugger mates were very worried about the ref after SA mind games and the petition, lots of South Africans wanted the ref removed before the game because they always/often lose when he officiates them so the pressure on Garces might lead him to subconsciously giving all borderline decisions to SA.

If Wales had had only 50% of the 50-50 decisions Wales would have won.
    I would say that if the game had been played out the same with 10 different refs, Wales would have won on at least 7 occasions.

Gutted we have been done again after Alain sent off Warburton against his fathers countrymen in our previous WC semi.

It’s not often I want England to win anything, but this time I do.
    They’ve been lucky with injuries and have played a game less, but they really have peaked at the right time. They absolutely bossed the All Blacks for the full 80mins yesterday, and any NH team that can beat the 3 best SH teams in the same tournament, deserves all the praise they can get.
    Saying all that, I won’t lose any sleep if they make a James Hunt if it 😁

Quote Originally Posted by trampie09 View Post
    We was done by the ref again Pearcey.
    Ref gave SA all the 50-50s decisions.
    First penalty points SA prop took the scrum down, Garces went to give SA a pen [somebody probably told him it should have been the other way], but decided to reset and then give SA a penalty at the reset.
    Second penalty points to SA should have been a Wales pen when Moriarty taken in the air [regardless of fumble], Garces gave a knock on to SA then a penalty to SA at the resulting scrum.
    Third penalty points to SA was after Garces said full penalty advantage to Wales, Biggar ended up kicking no distance into touch and instead of Garces going back to the penalty to Wales he gave a lineout to SA and then a penalty to SA.

Penalty given against Wales for tackle in the air [SA player toe might even have touched the ground], yet he did not give Wales a penalty in the same but more clear cut situation with Moriarty.
    SA also clearly ran into their own man when we were in a good attacking position but he did not give a penalty to Wales.

Lots of my rugger mates were very worried about the ref after SA mind games and the petition, lots of South Africans wanted the ref removed before the game because they always/often lose when he officiates them so the pressure on Garces might lead him to subconsciously giving all borderline decisions to SA.

If Wales had had only 50% of the 50-50 decisions Wales would have won.
    I would say that if the game had been played out the same with 10 different refs, Wales would have won on at least 7 occasions.

Gutted we have been done again after Alain sent off Warburton against his fathers countrymen in our previous WC semi.

Some very good points Trampie. That initial scrum decision was laughable given the Boks prop clearly went down. Agreed on Moriarty and I can only assume that because Moriarty knocked on before the contact he gave the scrum but it really should have been a penalty.
    Also agreed on the penalty advantage. Biggar made virtually no distance with an awful kick to touch and Garces had not said advantage over. So he had to go back to the penalty.
    On the obstruction I thought both sides could have been pinged. JD’s pass to Adams for the try was also a tight call.

Having said that I suspect the Boks could analyse some of the pens that went our way and find fault. So utterly peed off that we have gone out so narrowly yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Some very good points Trampie. That initial scrum decision was laughable given the Boks prop clearly went down. Agreed on Moriarty and I can only assume that because Moriarty knocked on before the contact he gave the scrum but it really should have been a penalty.
    Also agreed on the penalty advantage. Biggar made virtually no distance with an awful kick to touch and Garces had not said advantage over. So he had to go back to the penalty.
    On the obstruction I thought both sides could have been pinged. JD’s pass to Adams for the try was also a tight call.

Having said that I suspect the Boks could analyse some of the pens that went our way and find fault. So utterly peed off that we have gone out so narrowly yet again.
    We always get done against the big boys when it matters [same thing happens to other small nations], once the South Africans started their complaining and then the petition then I thought we wont get any 50-50s and guess what we didn't, I was not alone, I was texted at half-time by a daffodil wearing Neath and Ospreys fan asking me if I was aware of SA grumbling pre match [I replied yes] and my friend feared that we were not going to get any decisions, I replied the little country curse is going to happen again.
    Same old, same old.

Sad day especially for Alun Wyn Jones, but look at it this way: had Wales got through to the final they would have been defeated by England, an outcome too horrible to contemplate. Eddie Jones's smug face all over the news!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Sad day especially for Alun Wyn Jones, but look at it this way: had Wales got through to the final they would have been defeated by England, an outcome too horrible to contemplate. Eddie Jones's smug face all over the news!
    I'm quite sure Eddie Jones's smug face will be all over the news anyway.

So gutted for all you Welsh. That close to a final. See yas in Dublin February 👍

Go Bokke

Spare a thought for us poor feckers living in Ingerlund tomorrow and pray the Boks do ‘em!

If not we’ll have to endure ‘Sweet Chariots’ and feckin p1ssed up Henrys for years

Go Bokke!

our boys did us proud

Re: Go Bokke

I do fear the worse though , in a way I'm glad we went out as we did , instead of being stuffed by English in a final .

I know that sounds defeatist, but I can't see how we would have beaten them ??