+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Warnock getting the best out the team/squad again..

Warnock getting the best out the team/squad again..

..today we only had Murphy, then Hoilett, who I'd consider to be 'quality' players with the ball at their feet. For me Ralls is the outstanding player on the pitch this season ; he covers every blade of grass and just doesn't stop, yet for the last 3 seasons I reckoned he was the weak link, which perhaps shows how lacking we are in midfield this season. Yet you could almost see Middlesbrough lose heart as the game went on. City stopped them all over the park and - as is so typical of Warnock's side[s] - they created much more with much less of the ball. Having said that, I don't think this midfield is going to push us into the top 6. Maybe with Pack for Paterson with Tomlin as an impact player they could. And hopefully Vaulks will play a part, too. 11 players all doing the jobs the manager has given them, will be a hard side to beat..

Re: Warnock getting the best out the team/squad again..

We are bang on mid table. Middlesbrough were worse than us. We did look strong at the back and Flint and Morrison seem to be getting it together now, another clean sheet. But we have nothing creative in midfield and lack a goalscorer up front despite having about 5 strikers. I can't believe Warnock took off Bogle for the totally ineffective Ward. Mind you I think there are a lot of teams such as us, not particularly good, but not bad either.

Not pretty but that’s undefeated in 5 in the league. Keep grinding out results and who knows.

Agreed. A fortunate early own goal separating 2 poor sides is about the best we can get at present.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ..today we only had Murphy, then Hoilett, who I'd consider to be 'quality' players with the ball at their feet. For me Ralls is the outstanding player on the pitch this season ; he covers every blade of grass and just doesn't stop, yet for the last 3 seasons I reckoned he was the weak link, which perhaps shows how lacking we are in midfield this season. Yet you could almost see Middlesbrough lose heart as the game went on. City stopped them all over the park and - as is so typical of Warnock's side[s] - they created much more with much less of the ball. Having said that, I don't think this midfield is going to push us into the top 6. Maybe with Pack for Paterson with Tomlin as an impact player they could. And hopefully Vaulks will play a part, too. 11 players all doing the jobs the manager has given them, will be a hard side to beat..
    I think we are developing into a workmanlike Warnock side. I see no reason why we will not he top 6 by Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I think we are developing into a workmanlike Warnock side. I see no reason why we will not he top 6 by Xmas.
    I'll offer one reason. We haven't got the attacking flair and ability we had 2 seasons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'll offer one reason. We haven't got the attacking flair and ability we had 2 seasons ago.
    Who is missing then?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Who is missing then?
    Zohore for one. While he could often look languid and uninterested, Glatzel and Bogle are average in comparison to Zohore on an off day.

Whyte has no pace and no end product. Mendez-Laing took the division by storm when he started his City career. Hoilett, the only player at the club capable of good crosses is now an impact player to someone who threatens to do well (Murphy) but flatters to deceive.

We have no drive in the middle of the park and we miss Gunnarsson big time.

Teams also are more happy to sit back and deny us the chance to hit them on the break.

Our midfield 'squad' when we went up was Gunnarson, Ralls, Damour, Bryson, Grujiic, plus the wingers, Mendez-Laing and Hoilett. But the big difference is those central 5 which offered better options than we have this season

If the squad is low on quality then it’s Warnocks fault given how much he’s had to spend ?!?!?

Jesus wept

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    If the squad is low on quality then it’s Warnocks fault given how much he’s had to spend ?!?!?

Jesus wept
    I agree. I think this is a worse side than the one that got promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Zohore for one. While he could often look languid and uninterested, Glatzel and Bogle are average in comparison to Zohore on an off day.

Whyte has no pace and no end product. Mendez-Laing took the division by storm when he started his City career. Hoilett, the only player at the club capable of good crosses is now an impact player to someone who threatens to do well (Murphy) but flatters to deceive.

We have no drive in the middle of the park and we miss Gunnarsson big time.

Teams also are more happy to sit back and deny us the chance to hit them on the break.
    I must have missed something with Whyte, as yes his final ball has been pretty poor but he doesn’t lack pace.

Getting the best out of!!?? He built the damn thing..

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Jesus wept
    I'm glad you're here to cut through the bull shit mate. You cannot compare the resources he's had to build a squad in 2019 to what he had in 2017. We all accepted we had to be a bit "creative" (probably the wrong word ) two years ago but there is simply no excuse for things like Paterson number 10 now!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    All of this reads as Warnock needs a director of football. He's had 6 windows to get this right and the last good one was the summer of 17/18. Every single time he's opened his wallet the player hasn't delivered. It is beyond a joke now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    All of this reads as Warnock needs a director of football. He's had 6 windows to get this right and the last good one was the summer of 17/18. Every single time he's opened his wallet the player hasn't delivered. It is beyond a joke now.
    No it all reads this has to be his last season and pray our board get someone decent in!

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    No it all reads this has to be his last season and pray our board get someone decent in!
    Warnock is a decent manager and I'll defend his record here to the hilt. He's done a fantastic job in many areas. We all know, Warnock will decide his own fate to an extent and as long as we're competitive, Tan won't sack him as he trusts him. His signings, however, have been more miss than hit.

We still look like a side who is trying to adjust and develop its style , the positiveness is everyone put an effort in,were tough and wont be bullied ,which goes a long way in this league especially in the mid week winter period .

We lack something up front ,we don't seem to have that threat we had last time around from the wingers where teams could not cope with Mendez-Laing and Junior at times ( both I feel have not hit the ground running as first teamer's ,is he protecting them,does Junior have 90 minute game now ??)

I think he is persevering with Whyte to get his confidence up and give him critical game time ,knowing he has the talent on the bench to help the lad ,its important we try and develop the lad .

Agree the center backs are beginning to settle , Bennett is a bit off his game and Pelts is Pelts steady eddie full back .

The keeper situation will become very interesting soon , will it make a difference I'm not sure ?

Midfield is always the fans moan and groan area , if you make a mistake there your toast , unlike a forward who gets a ( oooh if only he had got there earlier , or that was bad luck)

Ralls in my view is a fine player always out a shift in for us if surrounded by better players he'd be even more effective , trouble we have he has been left to carry it all since Gunnerson has gone, and the unfortunate injury too Pack.

Its easy to blame Warnock and transfers and god don't we have bad luck with that , always felt Wales is not the first choice for English based players in the North Midland and London ,hence the arrivals from Scotland / Ireland and along the M4 up to Reading.

Do agree though we lack decent fullback cover at the moment plus one midfielder as Vaulks hasn't turned up and our German striker h
    needs goals and some luck .

In what was bought in I think Flint , Pack were very shrewd purchases.

Perhaps we wont pay those inflated wages of other players ( which is an owner decision )

Many teams fall badly down the Championship once relegated , we don't seem to have fallen that far some players like Bennett , Laing and Morrison , seem a bit off their game , losing Etherdige as we did may have cost us those vital first game momentum results and then Pack bit unlucky if you ask me not bad management .

I for one was glad to see Ward on , as Boggle didn't look like scoring , and Ward when fit is good at this level , he needs game time surely ??.

What we don't see is the training pitch, in terms of effort and attitude , perhaps that's the one of the issues ??

I'm fairly happy at the moment as we looking solid , we can scrape out a result , we are 3 points off 6th , 5 points off the top ,not playing that well , need we forget its a long tough wearing season in the Championship .

We have been unlucky really with our new players signing Vaulks. Pack , Flint , Whyte , Nelson and Glatzel , and we didn't foresee the Reid sulk coming ( he or Ken don't seem to be setting the world on fire in their new promised land ?? )

Have hope , and P.M.A.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    We still look like a side who is trying to adjust and develop its style , the positiveness is everyone put an effort in,were tough and wont be bullied ,which goes a long way in this league especially in the mid week winter period .

We lack something up front ,we don't seem to have that threat we had last time around from the wingers where teams could not cope with Mendez-Laing and Junior at times ( both I feel have not hit the ground running as first teamer's ,is he protecting them,does Junior have 90 minute game now ??)

I think he is persevering with Whyte to get his confidence up and give him critical game time ,knowing he has the talent on the bench to help the lad ,its important we try and develop the lad .

Agree the center backs are beginning to settle , Bennett is a bit off his game and Pelts is Pelts steady eddie full back .

The keeper situation will become very interesting soon , will it make a difference I'm not sure ?

Midfield is always the fans moan and groan area , if you make a mistake there your toast , unlike a forward who gets a ( oooh if only he had got there earlier , or that was bad luck)

Ralls in my view is a fine player always out a shift in for us if surrounded by better players he'd be even more effective , trouble we have he has been left to carry it all since Gunnerson has gone, and the unfortunate injury too Pack.

Its easy to blame Warnock and transfers and god don't we have bad luck with that , always felt Wales is not the first choice for English based players in the North Midland and London ,hence the arrivals from Scotland / Ireland and along the M4 up to Reading.

Do agree though we lack decent fullback cover at the moment plus one midfielder as Vaulks hasn't turned up and our German striker h
    needs goals and some luck .

In what was bought in I think Flint , Pack were very shrewd purchases.

Perhaps we wont pay those inflated wages of other players ( which is an owner decision )

Many teams fall badly down the Championship once relegated , we don't seem to have fallen that far some players like Bennett , Laing and Morrison , seem a bit off their game , losing Etherdige as we did may have cost us those vital first game momentum results and then Pack bit unlucky if you ask me not bad management .

I for one was glad to see Ward on , as Boggle didn't look like scoring , and Ward when fit is good at this level , he needs game time surely ??.

What we don't see is the training pitch, in terms of effort and attitude , perhaps that's the one of the issues ??

I'm fairly happy at the moment as we looking solid , we can scrape out a result , we are 3 points off 6th , 5 points off the top ,not playing that well , need we forget its a long tough wearing season in the Championship .

We have been unlucky really with our new players signing Vaulks. Pack , Flint , Whyte , Nelson and Glatzel , and we didn't foresee the Reid sulk coming ( he or Ken don't seem to be setting the world on fire in their new promised land ?? )

Have hope , and P.M.A.

Can you imagine Warnock working with a director of football?!

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Can you imagine Warnock working with a director of football?!
    Not in a month of Sundays but the point still stands. Our recruitment has been a horror show.

[QUOTE=Pedro de la Rosa;5007056] Not in a month of Sundays but the point still stands. Our recruitment has been a horror show.[QUOTE]

That sounds very 'Clockwork Orange'.

Would you take that result and performance repeated over the next 38 games ?

We’d be the first team to get promoted without our players (hardly) scoring a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Would you take that result and performance repeated over the next 38 games ?

We’d be the first team to get promoted without our players (hardly) scoring a goal.
    I'd snap your hands, arms, legs and face off.

Winning is absolutely fantastic.

I'd snap your hands, arms, legs and face off.

Winning is absolutely fantastic.
    That’s 3,420 minutes of your life spent watching substandard football though.

You’ve got to reeeeally enjoy winning to put up with that many hours of dirge. I reckon you’d lose interest after 10 games.

I think I’d sacrifice 6 spots for a bit of quality on the way. Play off spot with some local youngsters and some creative play and some slick passing. Call me a purist.