+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Warnock getting the best out the team/squad again..

Re: Warnock getting the best out the team/squad again..

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Was Ajayi better than Manga, Bamba or Morrison? Probably not, which is the long and short of it.
    Is he now though? There was a point when Aaron Ramsey wasn’t as good as Gavin Rae, I don’t think that’s an excuse to dump someone.

That's not what the question was. It was would I take 38 1-0 wins, or playing attractive football and finishing 12th.
    I think everyone would take winning every game over not but that’s not how it works is it.

I’d rather watch better football than shite football, neither guarantees you results but one is still enjoyable even when not winning.

Was Ajayi better than Manga, Bamba or Morrison? Probably not, which is the long and short of it.
    Oh I forgot we don’t need replacements. I’d take him over Connolly for example, who even though has done a job for us in the past should never be taking up the squad place if a younger player is available to step up.
    So the long and short of it it was not.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Oh I forgot we don’t need replacements. I’d take him over Connolly for example, who even though has done a job for us in the past should never be taking up the squad place if a younger player is available to step up.
    So the long and short of it it was not.
    He's a young player, who needed game time. He was never going to play, and Connolly played a handful of games since 2017.

Good luck to Ajayi, and I wish him well but he's hardly Baresi.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    I think everyone would take winning every game over not but that’s not how it works is it.

I’d rather watch better football than shite football, neither guarantees you results but one is still enjoyable even when not winning.
    Of course it isn't how it works but that was the question, and I answered it.

He's a young player, who needed game time. He was never going to play, and Connolly played a handful of games since 2017.

Don’t think anyone said he was Baresi, I’ll never understand those type of replies.

Saying he needed game time is fine, was he looking for a move to get more game time though? If he was fair enough, but it looks to me like he was let go without having been looked at properly.
    “Well keep conno he’ll be good around the dressing room, **** that young lad off we don’t develop players here” or something similar.

Plenty of other managers seem to be able to give young players game time. I don’t see why the options are play him every game or bin him.

Does it matter if he’s not Baresi? Aiden Flint isn’t hardly Ajayi.

Don’t think anyone said he was Baresi, I’ll never understand those type of replies.

Saying he needed game time is fine, was he looking for a move to get more game time though? If he was fair enough, but it looks to me like he was let go without having been looked at properly.
    “Well keep conno he’ll be good around the dressing room, **** that young lad off we don’t develop players here” or something similar.
    Ajayi was in the last year of his deal under Warnock and went to Rotherham on loan to get games. He decided to stay there, and fair play to him for doing so. He took a gamble going to League One and it has paid off. It's the same argument as Kadeem Harris, who probably thought I'd rather move on than wait for a chance here, it isn't as simple as saying, we let Harris go for free and got in Whyte.

There are plenty of reasons to have a pop at Warnock but Semi Ajayi seems a strange one.

Where was he in the pecking order at the time?
    Behind Morrison, Manga, Bamba and probably Connolly and that’s where we all would’ve placed him.
    No one on here was kicking off about us getting rid of him at the time I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Behind Morrison, Manga, Bamba and probably Connolly and that’s where we all would’ve placed him.
    I actually had hopes he’d make it into the first team set up.

Ajayi was in the last year of his deal under Warnock and went to Rotherham on loan to get games. He decided to stay there, and fair play to him for doing so. He took a gamble going to League One and it has paid off. It's the same argument as Kadeem Harris, who probably thought I'd rather move on than wait for a chance here, it isn't as simple as saying, we let Harris go for free and got in Whyte.

There are plenty of reasons to have a pop at Warnock but Semi Ajayi seems a strange one.
    The discussion started on how it would have been shrewd for us to keep a player with potential. It evolved into Warnock not looking at what he’s got on his books before spending money, going for experience and someone who was very unlikely to play (and older) over someone younger with a slightly better chance of playing.

Harris has 474728 chances, he didn’t cut it and probably wouldn’t have here, he’s taken his chance well with different payers and a different playing style at his new club and well done to the lad.

I liked him as it goes. But he was given a fair crack under more than one manager.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    That's why we aren't football managers. Football managers should probably realise potentially and integrate it into the first team slowly rather than letting a potentially good player go for free.

The discussion started on how it would have been shrewd for us to keep a player with potential. It evolved into Warnock not looking at what he’s got on his books before spending money, going for experience and someone who was very unlikely to play (and older) over someone younger with a slightly better chance of playing.

Harris has 474728 chances, he didn’t cut it and probably wouldn’t have here, he’s taken his chance well with different payers and a different playing style at his new club and well done to the lad.

I liked him as it goes. But he was given a fair crack under more than one manager.
    You've got to keep Manga, Bamba and Morrison happy. Ajayi had a year at League One to get ready for the Championship and he got dropped by Rotherham at times because of the mistakes he was making. He had potential but he needed a lot of games, which he wasn't going to get here. Ajayi wasn't the first and won't be the last talented player to get released, and we've benefitted from more than our fair share as well.

Wonder what Chelsea fans make of letting de Bruyne & Salah go ?

We all know one thing for certain....when we play WBA, Ajeyi and Zohore are bound to score.

What was the longest run of games Harris was given? Don't expect you to know, but from memory it wasn't alot, was it? I always thought that he performed pretty well when i saw him, in my opinion his crossing from the bye line was better than any of the other wide players, he could vary it a bit and he'd look up and dink balls in or sit them up. He was also ok at beating players from a standing start, quick feet and he didn't need alot of backlift. I'm certainly not mourning his departure but i think that his lack of athleticism went against him. Hoilett is a better footballer than any of our wide players, the most intelligent on the ball. Warnock doesn't seem to want that in his team, raw pace and a direct apporoach is what he seems to like now with a lack of quality at the crucial moment. Harris and Hoilett aren't going to do a fullback for pace over thirty yards, they are both good at creating that half a yard of space without having to go past the fullback. The way Warnock plays is that he likes his wingers to drop back and pick the ball up in a deep position then just get on their bike. Harris wasn't about that and neither is hoilett although both (in my opinion) possess more quality and intelligence that Whyte, Mendez and Murphy.

You've got to keep Manga, Bamba and Morrison happy. Ajayi had a year at League One to get ready for the Championship and he got dropped by Rotherham at times because of the mistakes he was making. He had potential but he needed a lot of games, which he wasn't going to get here. Ajayi wasn't the first and won't be the last talented player to get released, and we've benefitted from more than our fair share as well.
    Given the choice of a younger player with potential and Connolly what one would you keep? Who mentioned not keeping the other 3 happy?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What was the longest run of games Harris was given? Don't expect you to know, but from memory it wasn't alot, was it? I always thought that he performed pretty well when i saw him, in my opinion his crossing from the bye line was better than any of the other wide players, he could vary it a bit and he'd look up and dink balls in or sit them up. He was also ok at beating players from a standing start, quick feet and he didn't need alot of backlift. I'm certainly not mourning his departure but i think that his lack of athleticism went against him. Hoilett is a better footballer than any of our wide players, the most intelligent on the ball. Warnock doesn't seem to want that in his team, raw pace and a direct apporoach is what he seems to like now with a lack of quality at the crucial moment. Harris and Hoilett aren't going to do a fullback for pace over thirty yards, they are both good at creating that half a yard of space without having to go past the fullback. The way Warnock plays is that he likes his wingers to drop back and pick the ball up in a deep position then just get on their bike. Harris wasn't about that and neither is hoilett although both (in my opinion) possess more quality and intelligence that Whyte, Mendez and Murphy.
    Apologies but I have t got time to read all that, but I did skim the top bit and not sure why you’re replying to me mate as I said I liked Harris who I thought had time to make a mark with 3 managers, agree I’d like to have seen him have a longer run. He’s made a sideward step now and is making a mark for his new team.

Interesting debate about Ajayi, both sides making good points. I don't really want to stick up for Warnock here but Pedro (and others) are probably right, we were spoilt for choice in that position and that led to Ajayi being released. While Zohore was out of the picture too when Warnock arrived, there was an urgency to knock him into shape because we only had Lambert waddling around up front with Fred and Chamakh as back up. If our problems had been at the back then Warnock might have seen Ajayi as a priority and fast-tracked him through instead.

As it was, he was never going to get the run of games here that he got at Rotherham. The dreamy errors that Pedro talks about seem, finally, to have gone from his game with experience and he appears to be the solid centre half at WBA for now. While reluctantly defending Warnock on this, I assume the option was there for him to go in for a Championship-ready Ajayi once he knew Manga was leaving. 5 years younger than Flint and a third of the price, time will tell whether that was a chance missed. I'll be interested to hear the opinions on Ajayi when we play WBA in a couple of weeks.

Apologies but I have t got time to read all that, but I did skim the top bit and not sure why you’re replying to me mate as I said I liked Harris who I thought had time to make a mark with 3 managers, agree I’d like to have seen him have a longer run. He’s made a sideward step now and is making a mark for his new team.
    I replied to you because you had an opinion on Harris, i wasn't having a go at you. I then went on to give my opinion on why Warnock may have shifted him, i'm not sticking up for him or countering your opinion

Given the choice of a younger player with potential and Connolly what one would you keep? Who mentioned not keeping the other 3 happy?
    Connolly hardly played. That's the point.

I brought Ajayi up because I read about Flint being a "very shrewd" signing. Personally, I don't see how the signing of any 30 year old British centreback who has never played in the Premier League for a fee which could rise to £6 million could ever qualify as "very shrewd", but that's by the by here.

Currently, there's a twenty five year old centreback playing for a side that is above us in the table who it appears has improved leaps and bounds since we let him go for peanuts just two years ago and yet, apparently, we are being asked to believe that this is some sort of fluke whereby it's unfair to ask questions about why we let him go.

Let's not forget either that we signed another centreback in the summer who Neil Warnock was saying last week can be at the club for a decade - does our manager realise that Curtis Nelson will be 36 then? Nelson appears to me to be a "one for the future" type signing, yet he's older than Ajayi and, on the face of it, appears to be a worse player.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Currently, there's a twenty five year old centreback playing for a side that is above us in the table who it appears has improved leaps and bounds since we let him go for peanuts just two years ago and yet, apparently, we are being asked to believe that this is some sort of fluke whereby it's unfair to ask questions about why we let him go.
    Ajayi is the only player we have released since Warnock became manager that you could argue would be an asset to the current squad, isn't he?

If Rhys Healey plays well for MK Dons over the next couple of years and then a Championship club decides to sign him, would that mean it was a bad decision for us to let him go this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    If Rhys Healey plays well for MK Dons over the next couple of years and then a Championship club decides to sign him, would that mean it was a bad decision for us to let him go this summer?
    No. Because it won’t happen.